Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,507,148 times

Advertisements

Found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRw...TheDiaryOfACEO

As per this discussion, because this was brought up, the average hunter gatherer moves 15km a day (~9 miles) a day in 2-3 hours, and does not sit more than 10-15 minutes at a time without moving and rustling around.

So if you want to live like a hunter gatherer, here it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 01:21 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
This is so funny!!!...I wrote a very, very kind post and no one bothered to read it - REALLY read it. I won't apologize for being an advocate for those less fortunate than me.

Not once did I mention myself or attack others.

I simply defended people who can't be as physically active as they would like to be.

But, it seems posters here are more interested in ME...I'm very flattered My story is : I have a couple of bum knees but I can manage to go on a daily 3-4mile walk. Others aren't so lucky.

Again, I'm not going to apologize for being benevolent. I'm always complimented on my big heart, and I'm not going to stop despite some internet negativity.
I don't see where anyone was "negative" or attacked anyone, you included. You took an extreme stance to try and prove a point and we simply stated that, your examples are extremes.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:54 PM

10,570 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post

As per this discussion, because this was brought up, the average hunter gatherer moves 15km a day (~9 miles) a day in 2-3 hours, and does not sit more than 10-15 minutes at a time without moving and rustling around.

So if you want to live like a hunter gatherer, here it is.
In that event they would be logging well over 20,000 steps per day, in case anyone was wondering. 9 miles by itself would almost be that many.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:59 PM

5,010 posts, read 594,035 times
Quote:
Being obese makes it 3 times more likely to develop OA in the knees.

Regular exercise and good diet can help control weight gain so OA in the knees doesn't happen. Just saying
Thanks for that. I'm scheduled for knee replacement surgery in 3 weeks. My understanding is they don't operate on obese patients

Old 12-20-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'm scheduled for knee replacement surgery in 3 weeks. My understanding is they don't operate on obese patients
The rules for knee replacement is anyone over a BMI of over 40 (morbidly obese) is generally not given one for a variety reasons. However, obesity begins at a BMI of over 30. So many obese patients do get knee replacement surgery.

And, only you know your history, if you were obese for a long period of time or not. But if you were active, ran daily, your odds of needing this surgery would be a lot lower. Just saying because it's relevant to the topic

Quote:
What is the relationship between running and arthritis?
Mounting evidence suggests that that running does not cause osteoarthritis, or any other joint disease.

A study published in 2017 found that recreational runners had lower rates of hip and knee osteoarthritis (3.5%) compared with competitive runners (13.3%) and nonrunners (10.2%).
According to a 2018 study, the rate of hip or knee arthritis among 675 marathon runners was half the rate expected within the US population.
A 2022 analysis of 24 studies found no evidence of significant harm to the cartilage lining the knee joints on MRIs taken just after running.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-202304262930

Old 12-20-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The rules for knee replacement is anyone over a BMI of over 40 (morbidly obese) is generally not given one for a variety reasons. However, obesity begins at a BMI of over 30. So many obese patients do get knee replacement surgery.

And, only you know your history, if you were obese for a long period of time or not. But if you were active, ran daily, your odds of needing this surgery would be a lot lower. Just saying because it's relevant to the topic
I'm nervous about the operation, and really appreciate your concern - just saying

Old 12-20-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I'm nervous about the operation, and really appreciate your concern - just saying
Well, I know you're being sarcastic. But if you want my opinion, I'd opt for none-surgical options before considering total knee replacement. Get your BMI < 25 and do rehabilitative exercises.

See this RCT: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1505467

Quote:
RESULTS
A total of 95 patients completed the 12-month follow-up assessment. In the nonsurgical-treatment group, 13 patients (26%) underwent total knee replacement before the 12-month follow-up; in the total-knee-replacement group, 1 patient (2%) received only nonsurgical treatment. In the intention-to-treat analysis, the total-knee-replacement group had greater improvement in the KOOS4 score than did the nonsurgical-treatment group (32.5 vs. 16.0; adjusted mean difference, 15.8 [95% confidence interval, 10.0 to 21.5]). The total-knee-replacement group had a higher number of serious adverse events than did the nonsurgical-treatment group (24 vs. 6, P=0.005).

CONCLUSIONS
In patients with knee osteoarthritis who were eligible for unilateral total knee replacement, treatment with total knee replacement followed by nonsurgical treatment resulted in greater pain relief and functional improvement after 12 months than did nonsurgical treatment alone. However, total knee replacement was associated with a higher number of serious adverse events than was nonsurgical treatment, and most patients who were assigned to receive nonsurgical treatment alone did not undergo total knee replacement before the 12-month follow-up. (Funded by the Obel Family Foundation and others; MEDIC ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01410409. opens in new tab.)
So while replacement did lead to 32 pts of improvement on the KOOS4 vs 16 points for none-surgical intervention (rehab + insoles + diet program), it also led to more severe adverse effects. And most importantly, only 24% of those slated to the none-surgical intervention opted to get knee replacement after the 12 month period was over.

More importantly, this study was not blinded (no sham surgery given to both) so placebo effect is probably exaggerating the results of the knee replacement group.

But more importantly, digging into table 2, those who were slated for surgery lost 30kgs more than those not slated for surgery. My guess is they were required (as opposed to encouraged) to lose weight before surgery. The mean BMI of both groups was 32 at onset, with probably a sizeable % over 40.

But whatever you take away from this study, one important thing to remember is that doing exercise before and right after surgery led to quicker and better outcomes on the KOOS4. You mentioned surgery as an excuse not to exercise. In fact, the opposite is true. You need it more.

So exercise. It's never too late. And while anything is better than nothing, I only call it "exercise" if it's substantially harder than what you do on a day in and day out basis. So walking slowly for 3-4 miles is well, borderline. Depending on your weight, it could be good exercise or not sufficient.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I know you're being sarcastic. But if you want my opinion, I'd opt for none-surgical options before considering total knee replacement. Get your BMI < 25 and do rehabilitative exercises.

See this RCT: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1505467

So while replacement did lead to 32 pts of improvement on the KOOS4 vs 16 points for none-surgical intervention (rehab + insoles + diet program), it also led to more severe adverse effects. And most importantly, only 24% of those slated to the none-surgical intervention opted to get knee replacement after the 12 month period was over.

More importantly, this study was not blinded (no sham surgery given to both) so placebo effect is probably exaggerating the results of the knee replacement group.

But more importantly, digging into table 2, those who were slated for surgery lost 30kgs more than those not slated for surgery. My guess is they were required (as opposed to encouraged) to lose weight before surgery. The mean BMI of both groups was 32 at onset, with probably a sizeable % over 40.

But whatever you take away from this study, one important thing to remember is that doing exercise before and right after surgery led to quicker and better outcomes on the KOOS4. You mentioned surgery as an excuse not to exercise. In fact, the opposite is true. You need it more.

So exercise. It's never too late. And while anything is better than nothing, I only call it "exercise" if it's substantially harder than what you do on a day in and day out basis. So walking slowly for 3-4 miles is well, borderline. Depending on your weight, it could be good exercise or not sufficient.
Thank you for your heightened interest in me...please be assured I'm just a regular woman. Sure, I'll always fight for the underdog, but my friends and family tell me that's a positive character trait.

The title is : "Exercise is making you age faster, new study suggests"...I've tried (without success) to steer posters away from dissing obese people because that is not the topic, and I will not tolerate fat-shaming on my thread.

When I quit smoking I gained some weight. I'm back to being to be slim, trim & fit. I'm not oblivious to the importance of proper diet. I also never once advised posters to avoid exercising. All I did was post a link - a link to a study that people are acting as if I WROTE!!! Pretty ridiculous, right?

In conclusion, I know I've been overly defensive but I've had to be...no one else on here has my back.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your heightened interest in me...please be assured I'm just a regular woman. Sure, I'll always fight for the underdog, but my friends and family tell me that's a positive character trait.

The title is : "Exercise is making you age faster, new study suggests"...I've tried (without success) to steer posters away from dissing obese people because that is not the topic, and I will not tolerate fat-shaming on my thread.

When I quit smoking I gained some weight. I'm back to being to be slim, trim & fit. I'm not oblivious to the importance of proper diet. I also never once advised posters to avoid exercising. All I did was post a link - a link to a study that people are acting as if I WROTE!!! Pretty ridiculous, right?

In conclusion, I know I've been overly defensive but I've had to be...no one else on here has my back.
Very modest regular woman as well

Yes, you posted an article that sensationalized a study. And we're discussing it.

As for fat shaming, who is fat shaming? Is it fat shaming to say the fact that the overwhelming % of people who need knee replacement surgery are on the fluffier side? I mean, that study I posted, had the average BMI being 32.

Anyways, I will continue to do my part to encourage people to exercise (both cardio and strength training), as well as eat a nutritious and well balanced diet that fits their caloric needs, and to keep themselves a normal bodyweight. Americans need more exercise not less. If you watch that video I posted above, a very troubling statistic is that over 50% of Americans don't exercise at all. I see this everyday. People who can barely walk. Take the elevator to go to the 2nd floor (or worse, take the elevator to go down from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor).

I hope you can find a form of exercise you like so you can keep doing it.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,568,948 times
Funny how using terms like "overweight", "obese", or using BMI are now characterized as "fat shaming" or having "disdain". It's neither and it's rather silly and overly sensitive to imply it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness