Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 05:51 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,651,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Funny how using terms like "overweight", "obese", or using BMI are now characterized as "fat shaming" or having "disdain". It's neither and it's rather silly and overly sensitive to imply it.
I hate to point this out, but there are exactly zero reputable physicians who believe that obesity is not a major factor in a whole variety of health problems - cardiovascular disease, diabetes, a whole panoply of joint issues, endocrine issues, etc., etc., etc.

"Carrying a few extra pounds" may be harmless to many people, but what I see in my daily life going round town is a heck of a lot more than "a few extra pounds".

I don't think it's mean or cruel, in a form titled "exercise and fitness", to proceed based on this well established body of knowledge, that being overweight is NOT beneficial to human health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 05:16 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I hate to point this out, but there are exactly zero reputable physicians who believe that obesity is not a major factor in a whole variety of health problems - cardiovascular disease, diabetes, a whole panoply of joint issues, endocrine issues, etc., etc., etc.

"Carrying a few extra pounds" may be harmless to many people, but what I see in my daily life going round town is a heck of a lot more than "a few extra pounds".

I don't think it's mean or cruel, in a form titled "exercise and fitness", to proceed based on this well established body of knowledge, that being overweight is NOT beneficial to human health.
Indeed.

Most studies of this sort are commissioned by someone. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would waste the money on such a small segment of the population, essentially making it a non-issue for the vast majority of the population. The money would have been better served addressing a problem of epic proportion with the obesity issue.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:14 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
So its better to become a couch potato and eat Twinkies? I wish I had a dime (remember those?) for every crackpot survey that's floating around in the world.

Maybe this study was paid for by the Twinkie and couch cartels.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:19 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingmule View Post
The results of the study make sense to me. It talks about people that exercise "Too Much". I can totally see how that would be more wearing on the body and age it. Moderate exercise seems to bring the most benefits. It may not make the body as sexy but in terms of lifespan and aging it seems to be the right balance.
It is indeed possible to exercise too much. A very intelligent cardiologist name John Mandrola wrote a book about just that called "The Haywire heart." But while it is possible to exercise too much it is not at all easy. To get to that side of the curve requires compulsive extreme marathons and such.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:56 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It is indeed possible to exercise too much. A very intelligent cardiologist name John Mandrola wrote a book about just that called "The Haywire heart." But while it is possible to exercise too much it is not at all easy. To get to that side of the curve requires compulsive extreme marathons and such.
Which virtually a statistically insignificant number of people do.
Meanwhile, someone who maybe walks 3 miles a week reads that study and dials back so as to not over exercise because they read it in a book.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:12 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Meanwhile, someone who maybe walks 3 miles a week reads that study and dials back so as to not over exercise because they read it in a book.
Exactly.

"Doubling to quadrupling the minimum amount of weekly physical activity recommended for U.S. adults may substantially lower the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and other causes, new research finds."

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/0...wer-death-risk

Old 02-22-2024, 08:46 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post

Agreed. Now if they REALLY read the book, though, they would see that while the syndrome is very real there are very few people who need to dial back and a great many people who need to do more.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:30 AM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times
As others have already pointed out it's more of extremes. Studies showing potential dangers of excessive physical activity are nothing new, such as this one showing a risk of atrial fibrillation for cross country skiiers.

I mean, look at the table from the study:

Exercise is making you age faster, new study suggests-exercise-study-table-copy.png

Holy moly, the highly active group was doing something like 2 - 3 hours of physical activity per day, that's approaching sport training like marathon or triathlon.

Even age reversal proponents such as Brian Johnson mention that there can be too much exercise.

The average person is nowhere near even the WHO recommended guidelines for moderate intensity exercise per week so these types of stories are meaningless to these people. So the headline of the original article and many like it are deliberately misleading for clicks. While exercise may or may not lead to longer lives for every single individual, it most definitely can lead to better quality of life overall.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10274991/

Old 02-28-2024, 09:21 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well the medical community designated obesity as a medical issue so health insurance covers it.
And with the new drug out...people will lose weight only they have to be on this drug for life.

And now they lowered the age to 12 for taking this drug.
$900-1500 per month will keep you skinny for life

Old 03-03-2024, 07:41 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
So one new study saying it ages you faster?? Really? Totally unbelievable from the thousands of studies and testimonials of those who do exercise not for aging slowly but for long-term inner and outer health benefits.
So the study was only on 11,000 Finnish same-sex twins over 25 years who were sedentary, moderately active, active, and those who are hyper-exercise freaks.

It didn't account for asians, latinos, blacks, or caucasians in the US in these four categories.

Food choices plays a huge part in the aging process as gut health determines so much in your appearance.
The study didn't distinguish those who ate moderately healthy, very healthy, or extremely healthy since age 20, age 30...
The study didn't distinguish those who worked a sedentary job vs. those who had to move, lift or walk a lot in their careers.
This study is flawed all around so there is no conclusion anyone else except for same-sex Finnish twins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness