Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 08:17 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
This is a good point. Walking on pavement for an extended period of time makes my feet sore. Heck, even standing on concrete will do it eventually.

All of my hikes and runs are done off pavement. Walking downhill to JNU town and back is only a couple miles at most on pavement, which is not problematic at this time.

Barefoot on a sandy beach is a real treat.
Stepped on dead bees on the beach at the waterline more than once...ouch! Always wear flip-flops when walking the beach now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 08:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Stepped on dead bees on the beach at the waterline more than once...ouch! Always wear flip-flops when walking the beach now!
I have never seen dead bees at the beach! Not sure where you are, but we don't step on dead bees at the Jersey shore.

I can't walk at all in flip-flops and don't understand how anyone can! They don't stay on my feet.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:14 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never seen dead bees at the beach! Not sure where you are, but we don't step on dead bees at the Jersey shore.

I can't walk at all in flip-flops and don't understand how anyone can! They don't stay on my feet.
Well sea gulls do their business somewhere.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:08 PM

41,943 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Who is so inactive that they have to be inspired to walk one minute? And how do people not get 22 minutes of walking in just living their regular lives? It's just depressing to me that there are people out there with so little regard for their own life and well being that they won't do a normal human activity like walking - walking enough each day to simply stay healthy.
Golly, thanks for the judgement. Who needs to be inspired to walk? People in chronic pain. People with injuries. But by all means, tell those of us awaiting knee or hip surgery what we should or shouldn't be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
One annoyance I have is when riding the elevator is when its stopped on some floor for only the individual to go up for one floor. So you get stopped twice. Say you get stopped on the 4th, and then the 5th, because the person was too lazy to take the stairs.
Do you quiz everyone in the elevator about their health status? Are you sure those "too lazy" people don't have COPD, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, or bum knees? Not all mobility issues are visible to the naked eye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I bet the kind of dancing they did was imitate what the person teaching the class was doing. Kind of like an aerobics class, but with dance moves. So not much thought involved.
Um, that is what dancing is ...

Old 01-23-2024, 05:44 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I average close to 5 miles/day, though not all at once. Living in a highly walkable, urban area helps. This is in addition to the cardio I put in at the gym.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Golly, thanks for the judgement. Who needs to be inspired to walk? People in chronic pain. People with injuries. But by all means, tell those of us awaiting knee or hip surgery what we should or shouldn't be doing.

Do you quiz everyone in the elevator about their health status? Are you sure those "too lazy" people don't have COPD, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, or bum knees? Not all mobility issues are visible to the naked eye.

Um, that is what dancing is ...
I commented after going to Harvard's website and reading their description of this $20 publication. They mentioned nothing about people in chronic pain or awaiting surgery. It was designed for people who are able to walk but don't.

Best of luck on your surgery and I would never judge injured or sick people.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
I once asked our postal carrier how many miles she averaged walking per day. I had noticed a Fitbit on her wrist. She said she’s averaging over 12 but hasn’t lost any weight due to walking.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:11 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I once asked our postal carrier how many miles she averaged walking per day. I had noticed a Fitbit on her wrist. She said she’s averaging over 12 but hasn’t lost any weight due to walking.
Exercise is not an efficient way for weight loss. Diet is.
But, exercise makes you healthier, even at the same higher weight.
Your postal lady is probably much fitter and healthier than someone who is skinny but inactive.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:20 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I wonder how many steps people take vs. how many they think/claim to take.

My MIL is famous for claiming over and over that she walks 3-4 miles with the dog every day, and when my wife accompanied her a couple times on the route it was 1.1 miles.

I think you are right!

I claim to walk 12 miles a day, but for some reason my iWatch registers only 5 miles per day. New dang contraptions...... I know what I walk!!!!

We walk at our home in the lowlands of NC every day, until it's time to move to the mt house for the summer. We continue our walks there. iWatch seems to record 4-5 miles each day despite what I know or claim to know.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:03 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's good to include some backwards walking in your walking routine. Walking backwards, and sideways walking work the muscles in ways that they normally aren't and can help prevent injuries. Just find a place where you can do it safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness