Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 05:48 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times

Advertisements

Most people who only walk are not the ones in bad shape IMO. The ones in bad shape as they age do absolutely nothing but sit around in front of the TV or similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 08:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I can't see how it wouldn't be bad. What other mammal routinely spends an hour or more at a time trotting or running at mid to top speed, on purpose? They may have bursts of running for hunting or self defense, but then it's back to a typical level of physical activity.

I only run if something is on fire.
Seriously, you can’t think of any? No mammal can maintain top speed for long, but several can and do run at slower paces regularly. Let’s see: Wolves, caribou, hyenas, ostriches, horses, to name a few.

If an overweight person takes up running without due caution they could certainly hurt themselves.
Otherwise this issue has been studied and the answer is no, running is not bad for the knees. In fact, it’s actually protective against knee arthritis. Check out the link in the NYT article I posted, or Google it!

Old 01-14-2024, 09:12 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Seriously, you can’t think of any? No mammal can maintain top speed for long, but several can and do run at slower paces regularly. Let’s see: Wolves, caribou, hyenas, ostriches, horses, to name a few.
The mammals you mentioned aren't running for pleasure or 'just because'. If they are it's in short bursts due to travel, predators, or for mating. Only humans run on purpose due to social conditions and free will, until their knees blow out well before they should. I've known some nutty runners who told me they were so winded that they stopped and vomited, and then continued with their run, for "health".

Old 01-14-2024, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The mammals you mentioned aren't running for pleasure or 'just because'. If they are it's in short bursts due to travel, predators, or for mating. Only humans run on purpose due to social conditions and free will, until their knees blow out well before they should. I've known some nutty runners who told me they were so winded that they stopped and vomited, and then continued with their run, for "health".
Not short bursts, otherwise I would have mentioned big cat predators. These critters are running long distance for migration, hunting, etc.

Your anecdotal evidence does not trump scientific studies of the subject. I’ve never heard personally of a runner vomiting from pushing themselves too hard, but no doubt it’s happened. Mountaineer Scott Fisher was said to lift weights so vigorously that he would regularly vomit as a result.

I’ve gone for probably hundreds of runs and have never been uncomfortable doing so, otherwise I’d stop.

“..Are humans born to run? Some experts think that humans have, indeed, evolved to be distance runners—the better to track prey, evade predators and migrate. While there is some debate on running and human evolution, there is no question that we are up there in the animal kingdom for speeds at marathon distances. There is no one reason, but the efficiency of our cooling systems—our ability to sweat—and having an upright posture, to minimize our sun exposure and maximize our lung capacity, are some of the primary reasons we are skilled distance runners…”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adv...athon-runners/

Old 01-15-2024, 12:46 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Most people who only walk are not the ones in bad shape IMO. The ones in bad shape as they age do absolutely nothing but sit around in front of the TV or similar.
Depends what you mean by "bad shape." If you mean just the bottom 1/3, then sure. But you could also say the bottom 2/3 is in bad shape.

I don't have numbers, but one rule of thumb might be that 1/3 do nothing, another 1/3 don't "exercise" but are generally active, and the top 1/3 actually exercise.

I was in the second group for many years. My walk to work was 2.5 miles round trip, I walked elsewhere too, I'm in a hilly city, and I usually walk fast. But I was 20 pounds overweight and running got me winded right away. Real exercise was necessary to get my cardio to a reasonable level.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:03 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
A lot of the benefits of walking will unfortunately be cancelled out by the downsides and risks associated w/ walking on concrete. Concrete doesn't yield, at all, and will cause knee issues, feet issues, ankle issues etc. I wish I were back in a beach environment because a beach is the healthiest thing you can walk on, while a city sidewalk is probably the unhealthiest.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:56 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
^^When I walk along a sandy beach/shoreline the shoes usually come off. I think it's good for the feet to have that direct contact with the uneven ground and the texture. Free foot massage!

Old 01-16-2024, 07:06 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
^^When I walk along a sandy beach/shoreline the shoes usually come off. I think it's good for the feet to have that direct contact with the uneven ground and the texture. Free foot massage!
And grounding!

Old 01-16-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
A lot of the benefits of walking will unfortunately be cancelled out by the downsides and risks associated w/ walking on concrete. Concrete doesn't yield, at all, and will cause knee issues, feet issues, ankle issues etc. I wish I were back in a beach environment because a beach is the healthiest thing you can walk on, while a city sidewalk is probably the unhealthiest.
This is a good point. Walking on pavement for an extended period of time makes my feet sore. Heck, even standing on concrete will do it eventually.

All of my hikes and runs are done off pavement. Walking downhill to JNU town and back is only a couple miles at most on pavement, which is not problematic at this time.

Barefoot on a sandy beach is a real treat.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:33 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I often use Google maps to figure out how far away a place is to see if I can walk it. Two miles or less is easy unless I have to carry something heavy. It's a good way to get to know a neighborhood which often is ignored when driving through. Also a good way to get to know neighbors if they see you often. Most people are isolated in their homes and cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness