Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Denny,

I fall in the camp of still taking a post workout protein shake even when looking to lose weight (aka Cutting). Protein shakes are not high in calories - the Muscle Tech Nitro Tech I am currently taking has 110 calories per serving.

I take it because the protein will continue to help your muscles grow while cutting instead of having muscle degradation while on the low cal high cardio training program.

Talk to 50 trainers and you may get 40-50 different answers, but for me, what has worked wonders is keeping up with two protein shakes per day - one in the morning and one immediately after workout. Whats really going to make you lose the fat is your diet (caloric intake and food choices) and your cardio routine.
Exactly. It's very simple. Take a basic whey protein shake immediately post workout and he'll prevent catabolism without hurting his weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 PM

201 posts, read 964,619 times
Are you looking to lower your body fat percentage or body weight?

The scientific evidence is simple. There is only one formula for weight gain/weight loss. You either burn more calories than you consume and lose, or you don't and gain.

Body fat loss and lean muscle gain is another side topic. As far as losing muscle mass as you mentioned earlier. That's not going to happen in a single workout by skipping a post workout shake. You would lose muscle mass over a period of time by stopping resistance training.

As others have said earlier. 5 proper meals a day and pre/post workout shake is the way. Again losing body fat will only happen with the right training/diet and calorie expenditure. You need carbs, protein and fat with EACH meal. The right percentages help determine where it lands.

As far as carbs vs. protein. Carbs are actually more important, even for fat loss. Fat (good fat) is also actually more important for fat loss. Yes, I said it. If you want scientific evidence check out the NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) text. It explains exactly what you're asking from the real experts. There are also several books from various experts in the field affiliated with "mens health magazine" that also confirms the same. Tons of data out there.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM

201 posts, read 964,619 times
Just to answer what you posted below Denny. Pre digested just means it's been processed down to smaller particles if you will. Thus easier and quicker to absorb. All digestion still requires energy. Digestion in general of any food requires energy. Energy = calorie burn. Once we're all in relatively good shape and have a higher metabolism our bodies burn calories even at rest ie; sleeping and sitting. That also = thermic effect.

That's also why we see us folks saying eat 5-6 meals a day vs. 3. It helps regulate metabolism and you get 2-3 more thermic burning effect by the added meals.

"You obviously don't understand how the thermic effect works. The protein has already been predigested. How can the body burn calories from that protein if it's already been digested"?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
Not really liking milk in any of its many incarnations ( cow milk, goat millk, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, etc ), and finding fruit juice too sweet for my taste buds, yesterday I experimented by mixing my protein powder into a good quality organic yogurt. I feel like I've just discovered the best way to ingest some post workout protein into my body. The probiotics and enzymes in the yogurt apparently assist with the process of digestion becasue I wasn't continuously burping after drinking the shake like I usually do when I mix it with various forms of milk or fruit juice. This experience has inspired me to resume my post workout protein shake, which I had given up on. A big thank you to the OP for starting this thread and getting me to think about this.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,542 times
I don't know the answer to thr question, but let's get back to basics.

When you say "cutting" or losing fat, etc... and not gaining weight, what exercises are you really doing? Are you still resistance training? If so, then you need to replenish your muscles within an hour or so of the workout. I too take the dextrose with the whey after a workout, but I'm always "bulking". lol.

If you are just doing cardio type workouts, then things may be different. If you are resistance training, and causing your muscles to lose valuable nutrients, I don't see why you shouldn't replenish them. Dextrose or not, I'm not sure. Like I said I don't know the answer, but these other questions need to be answered.

I work way too hard for my muscle. I'd hate to do anything to lose them or not keep them.

Good luck. You're way ahead of the pack with your drive.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Adjust your protein intake around your RESISTANCE training duration and intensity.
Meaning protein has a much greater imprortance when u are undertaking your resistance training. People who do very little resistance training and stick with the similar protein (and carb) intake (If its high), as to when they were can expect significant fat gain.

Last edited by dave nz; 07-06-2009 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
I don't pretend to be an expert nor am I a newbie. Like DaBeez, everything I know on this subject is the product of reading, talking with LOTS of trainers, and my own personal experience. But I've learned a few things along the way:

1. The best workout routine means nothing without a proper diet - This is what prompted me to start this thread in the first place. I know what workout routine works for me and what doesn't, but I don't want to watch all my effort go to waste because of dietary mistakes.

2. We all respond differently to nutrition - This point can't be emphasized more and yet I see blanket statements like "you must have a post-workout shake or you will muscle." To make such a broad generalization ignores metabolic individuality. While one person will lose muscle from skipping that shake, another person won't. In the past when I got very lean, I never had a post-workout shake and yet I maintained muscle mass. But I also have more muscle now than I did back then.

3. Trainers rarely all agree - One trainer says morning fasted cardio causes muscle loss. Another trainer says that's a myth. Again, it comes down to who you are. The last time I got lean, I was doing daily morning cardio and I never saw a net loss of muscle.

4. Do what gets you results, even if it breaks all the so-called rules - After reading through the responses, I've decided this is what I'm going to do. What I did in the past got me the results I wanted, even though it seemed to break a lot of the "rules" that people spout. So I'm going to try going without the shake for now. If I see the results I want, then I'll know that I was right all along. If I start to lose muscle, then I'll reintroduce the post-workout shake and see if that makes a difference.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:47 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
DennyCrane wrote:
The best workout routine means nothing without a proper diet -
For me this statement is only partially true at best. I've gone thru short phases of training on a relatively poor diet and still got alot of benefit from my workouts. To add to that, I've always gotten greater benefit when I combine my workouts with a good diet. Proper diet and training are two separate aspects of the whole picture. Each aspect provides some benefit. When I've put em together, then I've gotten the best results.

Do what gets you results, even if it breaks all the so-called rules
Amen to that!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM

86 posts, read 326,273 times
I agree with Cosmicwizard. I also gained something with my workouts even with a poor diet but now I'm trying to do it right to gain some more.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM

45 posts, read 99,011 times
I prefer a during and post-workout shake. If you want science, go to Lyle McDonald's board and ask him personally, as he's studied the topic pretty extensively:

Around Workout Nutrition While Dieting - Q&A | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness