Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

My husband I want to start exercising. Is swimming ( 45 minutes ) and weight lifting good forms of exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,450 times
An excellent way to exercise.....probably one of the best, actually.

Swimming is combined resistance and aerobic training. Also, its non-load bearing so no joint pain that you might have with running.

That being said, do you know how to swim? I'm not talking about being able to tread water and swimming to shore should you fall off a dock...I'm talking about being able to swim laps. Swimming is largely a technique-driven exercise...doing a 45 minute swim workout entails you being able to swim continuously for a certain distance....at the very minimum to the other side of the pool. That means knowing how to breathe while swimming as well as proper stroke technique. Without these techniques, I doubt you'll make it to the other end of the pool. I bring this up because I've seen people jump into a pool and suddenly realize there is more to swimming than just splashing around and have to be rescued by a life guard. Unlike running, you can't just "stop" swimming!

If you haven't swum laps before, I would recommend some swim classes or instruction with a swim coach. Once you have the basics down you'll be all set to swim some laps.

Few people jump into the pool and swim for 45 min straight. Swim workouts are typically broken up into 50-400 yard "sets" where you might do different things. I can provide more info on this if you want.

One last note: I would skip the weight lifting (at least arms) if you plan to swim, at least at first. You arms will be pretty dead after swimming. Maybe focus on leg workouts at first...

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
An excellent way to exercise.....probably one of the best, actually.

Swimming is combined resistance and aerobic training. Also, its non-load bearing so no joint pain that you might have with running.

That being said, do you know how to swim? I'm not talking about being able to tread water and swimming to shore should you fall off a dock...I'm talking about being able to swim laps. Swimming is largely a technique-driven exercise...doing a 45 minute swim workout entails you being able to swim continuously for a certain distance....at the very minimum to the other side of the pool. That means knowing how to breathe while swimming as well as proper stroke technique. Without these techniques, I doubt you'll make it to the other end of the pool. I bring this up because I've seen people jump into a pool and suddenly realize there is more to swimming than just splashing around and have to be rescued by a life guard. Unlike running, you can't just "stop" swimming!

If you haven't swum laps before, I would recommend some swim classes or instruction with a swim coach. Once you have the basics down you'll be all set to swim some laps.

Few people jump into the pool and swim for 45 min straight. Swim workouts are typically broken up into 50-400 yard "sets" where you might do different things. I can provide more info on this if you want.

One last note: I would skip the weight lifting (at least arms) if you plan to swim, at least at first. You arms will be pretty dead after swimming. Maybe focus on leg workouts at first...

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply. And yes, I do know how to swim. I swim
The Crawl or freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. The only one I can't swim is Butterfly swim.
I used to be a member in a swimming club when I was a kid. We swam laps in a 25 meter for 1.5 hours 3 days a week. My husband swim the crawl and breaststroke. He is pretty overweight so a low impact workout would be great.
Thanks again

Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,450 times
Good deal! Sounds like you are all set. Sorry to presume anything about your previous swim experience, but swimming is not a big sport in much of the country and this trend will probably not change in the future as schools are now built without pools or are decommissioning swim programs due to cost. Kind of sad really.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Very good workout. I'd do it after the weight lifting though.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,208 times
I would alternate swimming days and weight lifting days. You won't be able to really push yourself at either activity if you swim for 45 minutes (that is a long time in the water) and lift with any intensity unless you are a freak of nature.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I would alternate swimming days and weight lifting days. You won't be able to really push yourself at either activity if you swim for 45 minutes (that is a long time in the water) and lift with any intensity unless you are a freak of nature.
No I am no weight lifting freak, thats for sure!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I tried swimming as a workout but just wasnt into it. I feel that I get a much better (and more enjoyable) workout by running than swimming. My home has a pool, but I feel its more relaxing than anything else.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 151,791 times
Well that's a good way of exercising but swimming is one of my weaknesses..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I think you're either into swimming or you're not. Glass, since you did it as a kid, you'd probably take to it again right away.

I swim freestyle laps 5 mornings a week. Sometimes I can push to 40-45 min, but usually I only last 25-30 min. I am a plodder but do try to get the cardio going for awhile at least. The swim team practices next to me and they are an inspiration.

This is really my only exercise other than walking, but I am in pretty good shape.

LaoTzuMindFu, I wish we had our own lap pool. Maybe someday if we win the lottery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness