Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
So I am embarrassed to admit that I fell while running on the treadmill at the gym today.

I accidentally pulled the strap of my headphones and my iPhone fell... and when I went to grab it... I slipped, and then yeeahh.. all of the sudden I was falling back and on the floor. Wasn't my proudest moment to say the least.

Luckily I came out of it fairly unscathed except for a few scrapes on both knees and some bruises on my left ankle and knee.

I've been running about 3 miles every day for the past 2 weeks. I used to run regularly then stopped, and now I'm back into doing it every day. For me it's more than just exercise... I truly enjoy doing it and it helps me with stress relief and feeling energetic overall.

Anyhow, I'm going to take tomorrow off from running to help heal. I'm hoping I can get back into working out this weekend, but I don't want to push myself and aggravate my injury. At the same time, I've made quite a bit of progress over the past weeks and I don't want some bruising to backpedal me.

Any advice on how long an injury of this kind needs to heal? What should I look for to know that I'm okay to run again?
Sounds like you need to find a new gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
lol... why is that?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,020 times
I took a nasty fall three mornings ago. I thought I'd get outside for a three-mile run and enjoy the beautiful weather we're now having here in the Houston area. Because of all the heat and humidity and plantar fasciitis, I'd been doing most of my running on my treadmill. So, I was enjoying a nice run on a wooded trail behind the athletic fields at my son's school, when the front of my right foot caught a tree root. Down I went ... and HARD! I'm glad no one saw me. I did manage to finish my run ... I had about another mile or so to go. The next day felt the worst ... my right knee was scraped, but both knees were bruised and achy. If I was just walking on a flat surface I was okay, but flexing the knees, like when going up and down stairs, hurt. My arms and shoulders were killing me, too. It felt like I overdid a weightlifting session. My hips and lower back were achy, too. In fact, I think my whole body hurt! I feel better today, but I'm probably going to take off running another day or two more. There's a 10-mile race next Saturday that I want to run, so I hope I feel better by then. In all the years I've been running, this the first time this has happened to me.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Glad you're OK. Falling sucks! I fell a few months ago while running outside. I tripped over an uneven sidewalk and tried to run it out, but I had the goofy "I'm going dowwwwwwn oh nooooo" thing and fell on my face! Bruised up the side of my face, but luckily it was just yellow and green and not a black eye. Ugh, I hate falling. I still have a big scar on my knee too.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
I'm so embarrassed I fell at home today; tripped in my office and fell on some equipment; and at age 43 almost 44 it really hurt! Bruised myself up quite a bit; but was really looking forward to going to the gym tmrrw...was hoping I will feel ok to go. I've been recovering from a sciatic/piriformis injury and was doing so good...then today I fell and hit that side. My shoulder and ankle are also sore-especially the shoulder. I should probably take tmrrw off; but was so looking forward to working out tmrrw...like you said; I really enjoy it and it helps my sanity!! Any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This was exactly what I was thinking

I haven't fallen on the treadmill *yet* but can easily see why it happens. Sometimes I think my iPod will be the end of me...

Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Default Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
So I am embarrassed to admit that I fell while running on the treadmill at the gym today.

I accidentally pulled the strap of my headphones and my iPhone fell... and when I went to grab it... I slipped, and then yeeahh.. all of the sudden I was falling back and on the floor. Wasn't my proudest moment to say the least.

Luckily I came out of it fairly unscathed except for a few scrapes on both knees and some bruises on my left ankle and knee.

I've been running about 3 miles every day for the past 2 weeks. I used to run regularly then stopped, and now I'm back into doing it every day. For me it's more than just exercise... I truly enjoy doing it and it helps me with stress relief and feeling energetic overall.

Anyhow, I'm going to take tomorrow off from running to help heal. I'm hoping I can get back into working out this weekend, but I don't want to push myself and aggravate my injury. At the same time, I've made quite a bit of progress over the past weeks and I don't want some bruising to backpedal me.

Any advice on how long an injury of this kind needs to heal? What should I look for to know that I'm okay to run again?

I did this on Tuesday - was like something you see on YouTube. Now that I am hurting, not so funny. I pushed the damn STOP button but apparently not hard enough.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:57 PM

162 posts, read 213,012 times
I posted this in the "alternative medicine" forum but you should try a session of cryotherapy. I hurt my foot real bad on the weekend of 4th of July. Did not break, but a bad sprain. I did RICE as much as I could, used Ibuprofen etc.... nothing seemed to help. I work on my feet for work and it would be sooooo sore. I tried a session of cryotherapy here, it was I think $25/session and it no longer gives me trouble. Cryotherapy was a little weird and scary- but it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness