Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:04 PM

14,565 posts, read 23,092,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
i skipped going to the gym today, i worked some ot at work, so was pretty beat. Is it true that its essential to skip going to the gym sometimes to allow the muscles to grow?
No. You shouldn't be working the same muscle groups each day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM

42 posts, read 183,046 times
Quote:
i skipped going to the gym today, i worked some ot at work, so was pretty beat. Is it true that its essential to skip going to the gym sometimes to allow the muscles to grow?
Not necessarily true, no. But you should have at least 1 day of rest a week (maybe sunday or something?) But try and throw in muscle confusion or HIT (high intensity training) into your workouts.

As Bosco said, dont work the same muscle groups each time you go to the gym.

I am currently utilizing muscle confusion by using P90X, and the routine for me is:

Mon: Chest and Back....Abs
Tues: Plyometrics (Jump/leg training)....Running
Weds: Shoulders and arms....Abs
Thurs: Yoga/Stretching....Running
Fri: Legs and Back....Abs
Sat: Kenpo (martial arts type training)....Running
Sun: Either rest day or stretch

Old 10-29-2009, 05:46 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Stop weighing yourself daily. That'll drive you nuts and is a poor way to gauge progress anyways.

You should weigh yourself either at the start or end of the week, first thing in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom.

Yeah I agree. My weight fluctuates dramatically! Sometimes as much as 5 or 6 pounds daily. And you may feel hungry after working out, but you just need to watch what you eat afterward. I found that a banana or yogurt would work for me. Or take a good lower calorie protien drink with you.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,225,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryancBullock View Post
Not necessarily true, no. But you should have at least 1 day of rest a week (maybe sunday or something?) But try and throw in muscle confusion or HIT (high intensity training) into your workouts.

As Bosco said, dont work the same muscle groups each time you go to the gym.

I am currently utilizing muscle confusion by using P90X, and the routine for me is:

Mon: Chest and Back....Abs
Tues: Plyometrics (Jump/leg training)....Running
Weds: Shoulders and arms....Abs
Thurs: Yoga/Stretching....Running
Fri: Legs and Back....Abs
Sat: Kenpo (martial arts type training)....Running
Sun: Either rest day or stretch

thats a good workout plan, i play softball on sundays, 2 games and monday we practice, so i use that as my cardio.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,225,255 times
For definition and size and a more effective workout, what would you suggest, i usually start with the 40lb dumbells do 3 sets, and then go down to the 30, then to the 20lb dumbells, all of them i do 3 sets, ive seen people start with more repititions with the lighter weights then go up in weight w less repitions as they go up in weight. Which method is more effective?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:06 PM

42 posts, read 183,046 times
Quote:
For definition and size and a more effective workout, what would you suggest, i usually start with the 40lb dumbells do 3 sets, and then go down to the 30, then to the 20lb dumbells, all of them i do 3 sets, ive seen people start with more repititions with the lighter weights then go up in weight w less repitions as they go up in weight. Which method is more effective?
High weight/ Low Reps = Muscle Mass
Low Weight/ High Reps = Lean Muscles

So if your wanting to build and get bigger muscles/arms do the higher weights to where you are struggling around rep 8-10...if you do more than 10 reps in a set, its time to move up a little to where your back to a little struggle with 8-10 reps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness