Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
If you can do 9 BW pullups, you don't need to work on negatives. I think negatives are a great idea for someone who can't do any pullups, but for you weighted pullups are the way to go hands down.
I did some negatives yesterday, my back is pretty sore. I did do squats on Sat. so maybe its a combo of both. I don't think I'm "big" enough to start doing weighed pullups but I suppose I can try it. I would need to get a belt with a chain on it to put the weight on it? I can't think of another way to weight myself.

For whatever reason, those "perfect pullups" or any other bar at hangs from a door, I completely suck at. I can't even do one but any regular bar at a park or at the gym, I can do fine...kinda weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I don't think I'm "big" enough to start doing weighed pullups but I suppose I can try it. I would need to get a belt with a chain on it to put the weight on it? I can't think of another way to weight myself.
Start out with some 10 lb, 15 lb or 20 lb dumbbells. Hold the dumbbell between your feet or between your thighs. Do this instead of getting a belt.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
There are generally two schools of thought regarding how to increase the number of pullups you can perform in a max rep bodyweight set.

School 1: practice the specific movement with the specific loading (i.e. do one set of pullups to almost failure using only bodyweight 6 days a week, taking one day off and repeat this for 3 weeks, take a week off and test).

School 2: primary training should consist of lower rep sets of weighted pullups and the number of pullups you can perform with your bodyweight will naturally increase.

My views: Ideally you'd incorporate both schools of thought; you'd do one set of pullups to almost failure daily for six consecutive days, taking the seventh day off and repeating for 3 weeks, taking the fourth week off and testing on the beginning of week five; you'd also incorporate lower rep sets of weighted pullups during your normal training routine. You'd place the max rep bodyweight sets and regular training weighted sets in separate sessions.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
And for you SUPER ADVANCED OTHERWORLDLY STRONG ADVANCED pull-upers, check THIS out:

YouTube - Bartendaz on Sub0 DVD
My 10yr old was watching this with me this morning. He commented that he's going to try that at the playground at school today. If I get a phone call from the nurse I'm pointing my finger at YOU! LOL

He's a strong kid though, I'm betting he could do the stuff in the first video without struggling much. Right now he's "in training" for a fitness competition and pull-ups is his event.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I am going to second the negative pull up. I did not know it was called that. But that method seems to help me when I am too weak to do a lot of reps to get to the next level. (with pull ups, sit ups, pushups etc, anything strength improves for me with the hold when I can't do reps)

Perfecting the Pull-up - Military Fitness - Military.com
I'm currently doing the negative pull up routine twice a week. We do the dead hang pull ups. I think I'm getting better, but it's brutal. And I feel weak. But I keep doing them anyways...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Get a pull up bar in the frame of your door or somewhere in your house. Do pull ups (just a few perfect ones) everytime you enter. You'll end up doing upwards of 20, 30, 50+ pull ups in a day depending on your dedication/strength.

Had lots of guys do it in training and put an easy 5-10 pull ups on the Army PFT in 6 weeks.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
I've thought about that & even looked at them on line. Is there a brand/model better than the others?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I've thought about that & even looked at them on line. Is there a brand/model better than the others?
This is model I have and it works great:

Amazon.com: Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar: Sports & Outdoors

It's really easy to mount, and it feels solid when you use it.

It doesn't use any screws to attach to the door frame, so you can just put it up, and then take it down immediately after using it.

It lets you grip it in different positions.

Plus you can also use it for raised push-ups and tricep dips by putting it on your floor.

It has sponge covering so it's comfortable to hold.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Use this in addition to a home pullup bar. Much better than using the door trim for finger pullups!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM

165 posts, read 432,990 times
Do as many as you can as many times a day as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness