Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

181 posts, read 598,722 times

Advertisements

It depends on goals. I am personally pretty skinny and have a fast metabolism so i don't need to do cardio in order to reach my goals (i count playing sports as cardio though). I try to keep my diet somewhat good, but once again I don't need to follow one strictly to keep in shape.

However, for someone who wants to lose weight the 3 above elements are necessary so I agree with you there.

No comment on the biggest loser since i've never seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 AM

550 posts, read 1,215,038 times
Most of my body have gotten stronger, most of my muscles have grown bigger, but my calves remain the same strengh and size, got any medicine for that lao?

I've tried so far:
Many sets of high reps,
many sets of low reps,
many sets o combined low and high reps
few sets of each of the 3 above
training calves 2 days a week to training them 5 days a week
Pointing the toes in different angles from eachother to work different parts of the calves
Using different positions to train in (sitting, smith, hack-squat machine)
Running and walking uphill 7-35 degree angles

High reps: about (380 lbs+body weight)x15reps
low reps (440 lbs+body weight)x5reps
Bodyweight on average through the these 2 years is about 210 lbs

No progress, none.

As for the biggest loser, I support the general concept, but as some have pointed out; way too much drama. last time I saw the american version especially, there was this mosbidly obese kid crying about being to tired to bike forward after a about 1 mile... somebody please hand him a german sheppard trained as an attack dog and tie some beef to his *****.

Losing weight too quickly: There is sooo much that is unhealthy and labeled as unhealthy these days most of us wouldn't be doing anything but working on our health if we were to optimize everything to the perfect health choices, besides being obese is one of the worst health-F!!!-ups. I don't think the "bad-healthometer" is gonna give any significant peaks from losing weight quickly in their condition lol :P

Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM

181 posts, read 598,722 times
Calves are HIGHLY genetic. I personally like Nelson's calf routine (BBer). Choose a weight you can hit for 20 reps... after the 20 reps, rest for 10ish seconds and then do as many as you can. Keep going until you hit 75, and if 75 is too easy go to 100.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:26 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
I believe a well balanced diet and a good bit of cardio is generally a solid plan. As a runner, I think everyone should give running a try. Most people think because it's so miserable at first that it stays miserable. In my opinion, running is one of the easiest things to get good at. You could be an overweight, lazy couch potato but with the right regiment you could be running 5 miles non stop in 5-6 months. If that.

Diets are a waste of time, get out there and exercise!!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 AM

161 posts, read 240,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I believe a well balanced diet and a good bit of cardio is generally a solid plan. As a runner, I think everyone should give running a try. Most people think because it's so miserable at first that it stays miserable. In my opinion, running is one of the easiest things to get good at. You could be an overweight, lazy couch potato but with the right regiment you could be running 5 miles non stop in 5-6 months. If that.

Diets are a waste of time, get out there and exercise!!

I completly 100% disagree that diets are a waste of time. If you dont have your diet right you can run all you want it wont matter.

Unless i am reading your comment wrong and you mean short term fad type dieting then i do agree. I hope this is what you mean.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I completly 100% disagree that diets are a waste of time. If you dont have your diet right you can run all you want it wont matter.

Unless i am reading your comment wrong and you mean short term fad type dieting then i do agree. I hope this is what you mean.
I agree with him on diets being a waste of time. Its NUTRITION that is OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.

Lot of people say "Im on this diet" or "Im on that diet" which what they REALLY should be concentrating on is NUTRITION. NOT DIET!!!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:51 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post

No, we agree. If you rely on a diet such as atkins or the mayo clinic diet, you're doomed to fail. I meant you need a well balanced healthy diet in addition to exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness