Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM

18 posts, read 27,437 times

Advertisements

Since I'll be moving to southern AK I thought a season or two (or more!?)up north in the interior might be a really worthwhile experience.

Has anyone worked/camped/hiked/etc longterm at Coldfoot Camp, or anywhere in that area (or know someone who has)? I just applied for a seasonal job and was wondering.

It looks beautiful and seems like a pretty good deal (pay isn't so hot, but I'm planning on that just supplementing my regular income). Would love any details you guys might have.

p.s. on another note, LOVE the pictures thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM

--Oh, and I applied for the summer season, May-Sept (I think) but tips for any season would be great; it looks quite a bit different than southern AK and I've never been that far north anywhere, any time of year

Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Well--I know a few people who do the seasonal work thing, and I've never heard anything bad about Coldfoot at all....quite the opposite actually. I've met Brett a couple of times and he seems like a great guy. Good luck with the job. Where at in Southern Alaska are you moving to?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM

That's good news--not that I was expecting bad! Should I recognize the name Brett *furrowing brow*? I figure working up there will be a great way to see the area without taking a straight up vacation. Looks beautiful. Remote.

I'm still between Homer and Juneau. It's been easier to find places in Juneau (renting, not buying, at this point) but Homer is closer to family and I think I'll like it more, despite the size, so...I'm not sure. Probably Homer...? I ought to search for a Homer thread, which I haven't done yet.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times
Can get smoky up there sometimes during the summer depending on the wildfire activity in the interior. Fall colors in late August are absolutely spectacular. The Interagency Arctic Visitor Center across the road from the camp is definitely worth a visit. Plenty of Princess Tours bus activity visits there twice daily during the summer - one group heading North from Fbks and flying out of Deadhorse, the other doing the reverse, both stopping in Coldfoot on the way. And of course plenty of truckers and Pipeline workers pass through there daily. And lots of hunters stop in towards the end of summer. While there, you could also get some info about possibly doing one of the fly in trips to Gates of the Arctic NP that depart from the Coldfoot airstrip.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks so much! I'm about to start some mad Googling....lol...that's exactly the kind of stuff I need reminded about or else I get too excited and foget about details until it's right up on me.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Brett---he's in some sort of management position there; he's the guy who hired a couple friends of mine several years ago.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM

And take plenty of bug spray. You may also want to get a good mosquito head-net/hat. Pretty much standard equipment for me when I'm up there during the summer, just like Arctic gear in the winter!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:13 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,761 times
i love the head net. makes it possible to work outdoors in the summer and actually use your hands for something besides swatting!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM

I've tried several of them, however my favorite is actually the bug-net hat made by Columbia Sportswear I picked up at the Prospector in Valdez. I haven't seen them in stores anywhere else for some reason though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks