Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle82 View Post
I just found out today that we are moving to Fairbanks this time next year. My husbands job leaves no room for decisions. I would like to hear more about it. We currently live in TN and im trying to be optimistic here. We're city people im from S.California and my Husband is from Las Vegas, we love hot summers and the hot sun. I know that is NOT an option in Alaska so i will be sulking up my last summer for sure. Any tips? We are military, how do the locals and non military feel about us being there?
The ALCAN was built primarily by military, and most of Alaska (around 66%) belongs to the Federal Government. Also, Alaska has a very large number of military installations and personnel compared to some other States, and the AK's economy depends on the military presence in Alaska, other than oil and mining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 752 times
hello, i just moved to fairbanks in november and i heard horror storries about fairbanks before i got here.
Yes the cold is THAT BAD!
your car will have problems just get it completely winterized when you get here!!!!!
Buy the correct clothing and boots dont let bare skin be in contact when its cold!!
There is buses and plently of jobs i got 2 when i moved here within the 1st week
Good luck!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,911 times
Oh that's great to hear!! thank you guys. I'm definitely buying the extra winter gear. Were already looking into winterizing our car and looking into buying an all terrain vehicle before we drive up. Im so nervous about it! I havent heard any horror stories, anyone that's lived there has nothing but good things to say. I was just curious about the view on the military up there, it seems to be different everywhere we have moved. Kinda wanna be prepared as to what i can expect. Is the Law Enforcement strictly State Troopers or is there a Local PD? I'm a Dispatcher for Law Enforcement and First Responders so i am hoping once were settle i can try to find somewhere to work.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle82 View Post
Oh that's great to hear!! thank you guys. I'm definitely buying the extra winter gear. Were already looking into winterizing our car and looking into buying an all terrain vehicle before we drive up. Im so nervous about it! I havent heard any horror stories, anyone that's lived there has nothing but good things to say. I was just curious about the view on the military up there, it seems to be different everywhere we have moved. Kinda wanna be prepared as to what i can expect. Is the Law Enforcement strictly State Troopers or is there a Local PD? I'm a Dispatcher for Law Enforcement and First Responders so i am hoping once were settle i can try to find somewhere to work.
Buy the basic at first when it comes to winter clothing because it a diff type of world up there compared to the lower 48.

When i came up there i made it ok with a small layering of cold weather jacket and hooded sweatshirt jacket under the jacket with a watch cap and gloves and scarf set up for the times i was outside in the cold .Also i wore just regular heavy duty hiking boots for the time i was out with wool socks and silk sock liners on my feet when i was off work and running around the town .

plus also give yourself alittle more time to drive between the places when you first get there because of not knowing the area all that well .

I sent two months in a dry cabin and loved it and would come back to the area if the person asked me to come and work up there again fo them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks