Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 AM

370 posts, read 882,838 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm moving into a dry cabin and am not used to relying on an outhouse as a primary meas of ...its function. I'd like to avoid learning things the hard way. If you have advice, I'd be grateful.

I tried a quick search for threads on this but, hope I might get some helpful advice by creating a thread.

Thanks,
Jen
p.s. I remember the inside shower advice by the lady from here, (who was also kind enough to invite me to lunch when I first moved here, thank you! Hope you are well!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Heh, I think that was me. Well you are in luck since we are heading into spring. You can fix up an outhouse to be cute as well as functional. Most of my advice would be for winter use. In the summer it's fairly self explanatory. I use lime most of the time to keep the break down happening and the smell down. Just buy a bag and put it in your outhouse with a scoop in it. Throw in a scoop "when needed".

Old 04-04-2013, 04:01 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
If I had to use an outhouse I'd be praying for a chronic case of constipation.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hey there,

I'm moving into a dry cabin and am not used to relying on an outhouse as a primary meas of ...its function. I'd like to avoid learning things the hard way. If you have advice, I'd be grateful.

I tried a quick search for threads on this but, hope I might get some helpful advice by creating a thread.

Thanks,
Jen
p.s. I remember the inside shower advice by the lady from here, (who was also kind enough to invite me to lunch when I first moved here, thank you! Hope you are well!!)
One thing I'd recommend is keeping your toilet paper in your house. On a cold morning, after a warm day the TP can get a little cold and damp on the old buttocks and cleft (for some reason the TP seems to absorb a lot of moisture from the air. Of course if you've just had a 5 alarm chili, or a seriously hot curry this can be an advantage, with soothing coolness.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
If you don't want to be toting your TP back and forth from the house, the other option is to keep it in a coffee can with a lid. Not only does this keep it clean and dry, it also keeps critters and other creepy crawlies off it. Squirrels and voles LOVE your TP and leaving out usually results in a pile of shredded mulch.

If you're the type who...ummm... has time to read the paper... you may also wish to keep mosquito coils in there so you won't get eaten alive in your vulnerable position.

And, for TP, you don't have to go with expensive "green" biodegradable kinds; but I've found that the more plush quilted kinds like Charmin don't break down very quickly. That can cause a layer of paper on the top, which blocks good airflow for decomposition and makes your thunder box extra stinky. Either get a TP that breaks down well (POM and Scott seem to work) or consider burning/trashing your TP instead of dropping it down the chute.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
consider installing a small electric heater for winter, maybe one that can be hooked up to a switch inside so you can "preheat" it if you know you have a few minutes.
Oh and I do not recommend a toilet seat. Rather some solid foam with a hole cut out. It's warmer in those frozen winter months.
Some people use sawdust to keep the smell down. not sure how well that work with composting though.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
consider installing a small electric heater for winter, maybe one that can be hooked up to a switch inside so you can "preheat" it if you know you have a few minutes.
Oh and I do not recommend a toilet seat. Rather some solid foam with a hole cut out. It's warmer in those frozen winter months.
Some people use sawdust to keep the smell down. not sure how well that work with composting though.
For the foam. The OP still can cut a seat from an insulating rigid foam (blue color), and then glue it to the toilet seat with RTV silicone. A colt toilet seat when -40 degrees can be quite a cold experience to one's behind, but the rigid foam feels quite nice a few seconds later.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Oh I have a ton of winter advice but I'll send that in a pm if you are interested.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Sprinkling lime, sawdust and wood ashes all helps with the breakdown and smell.

For winter, you may also want one of those windshield ice scrapers if there's a lid... you end up with a nice rim of frost on the underside that can seal the lid closed otherwise

Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Why don't people use a temporary set up indoors and transfer the "goods" in the am? I'd really dislike chapping my buns at night....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks