Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 04:32 PM

63 posts, read 99,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Okay but don't just tell me the brand, tell me what kind of tires they are too, like below: Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1

You are correct. You are not prepared for Alaska. Neither is your car... and that's a pretty sweet ride.
I don't know about tires but this is what it said on it:
Bridgestone
it is m+s tires el64z

Here are pictures, I hope you can identify if they are good or no:

Last picture it is a Quarter coin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
You put your car on the ferry.
That will cost a lot right?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:37 PM

35 posts, read 53,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
I am 22, with a regular driver license. How would the state know how long I've been in Alaska?

How am I suppose to keep my car if i am going on a ferry??

They would know how long because eventually a law officer pulls you over and asks a bunch of questions. There wouldn't be an automated way for them to know. I imagine some people have gone years without getting caught. Others got caught right away just by bad luck.

Your car goes on the ferry :-)

Old 12-13-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenlhein View Post
They would know how long because eventually a law officer pulls you over and asks a bunch of questions. There wouldn't be an automated way for them to know. I imagine some people have gone years without getting caught. Others got caught right away just by bad luck.

Your car goes on the ferry :-)
Aha! Okay. And for the ferry how much will it be? If it is more expensive than driving then I'll drive because a $1 will help me that moment when I get to AK

Old 12-13-2014, 04:42 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
How do they know - If you drive your passport gets clocked in and out. If you take the Ferry, it is run by the state and you create a receipt. If you fly there is a airline record. If you have a phone I can tell where you have been going back quite a way. Some or most of these require a warrant and hence a criminal investigation in order to get... But it isn't hard to prove how long you have been somewhere. Even those that are hard core off grid, still leave footprints.

Now is the state gonna spend thousands to go after you for your $20 license fee and $200 registration, I doubt it. Plus, if you don't do those things you can't get the yearly PFD, which this year was almost $2000.00. You have to wait until you have been here one full year and then you can apply when it comes around again, this is usually at LEAST a 2 year wait to get. So don't think you will get it right away.

Most WalMarts carry the MilePost - you can get a digital copy online, but I like the hardcopy better. Athough if you are not planning on sight seeing and staying at hotels, you might not really need it.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
How do they know - If you drive your passport gets clocked in and out. If you take the Ferry, it is run by the state and you create a receipt. If you fly there is a airline record. If you have a phone I can tell where you have been going back quite a way. Some or most of these require a warrant and hence a criminal investigation in order to get... But it isn't hard to prove how long you have been somewhere. Even those that are hard core off grid, still leave footprints.

Now is the state gonna spend thousands to go after you for your $20 license fee and $200 registration, I doubt it. Plus, if you don't do those things you can't get the yearly PFD, which this year was almost $2000.00. You have to wait until you have been here one full year and then you can apply when it comes around again, this is usually at LEAST a 2 year wait to get. So don't think you will get it right away.

Most WalMarts carry the MilePost - you can get a digital copy online, but I like the hardcopy better. Athough if you are not planning on sight seeing and staying at hotels, you might not really need it.
Gotcha! I understood now..

Old 12-13-2014, 04:52 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Your tires are all season not winter tires.
To get to Ketchikan , Alaska you would need $515 for your vehicle (if your vehicle is under 15 feet in length) $239 for you, so ~$760 total not including a private cabin that you don't need. All these figures can be found on the state website, dot.state.ak.us or by googling alaska ferry rates. I think you would spend way more than this buying snow tires , properly preparing your vehicle, plus gas and hotels, adds up very quickly.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 12-13-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 06:59 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Still need a properly prepared vehicle upon arrival and the OP stated they will be sleeping in a rest area.

Assuming no mechanical breakdowns fuel shod be around a few hundred from where they are now. Still have to drive to the Ferry. The few hundred saved will help get snow tires.

My m+s rated tires are mediocre here - I rely heavily on 4wd. When it gets really nasty I take my wife's car with studded tires.

However, the OP should hit snow covered roads before its too late to get snow tires in Canada.

The tires look good for non ice severe snow driving.

Just my .02 - and the ferry takes longer than driving (typically).

Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Your tires are all season not winter tires.
To get to Ketchikan , Alaska you would need $515 for your vehicle (if your vehicle is under 15 feet in length) $239 for you, so ~$760 total not including a private cabin that you don't need. All these figures can be found on the state website, dot.state.ak.us or by googling alaska ferry rates. I think you would spend way more than this buying snow tires , properly preparing your vehicle, plus gas and hotels, adds up very quickly.
Isn't all season better since it is "ALL season" than winter "only"?

I am not going to Ketchikan. Either Fairbanks or Anchorage. I was aiming for Fairbanks but some here told me anchorage would give me a better chance for my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Still need a properly prepared vehicle upon arrival and the OP stated they will be sleeping in a rest area.

Assuming no mechanical breakdowns fuel shod be around a few hundred from where they are now. Still have to drive to the Ferry. The few hundred saved will help get snow tires.

My m+s rated tires are mediocre here - I rely heavily on 4wd. When it gets really nasty I take my wife's car with studded tires.

However, the OP should hit snow covered roads before its too late to get snow tires in Canada.

The tires look good for non ice severe snow driving.

Just my .02 - and the ferry takes longer than driving (typically).
it is 2005 Acura RL AWD 3.5 engine. isn't good enough?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YemeniAlaskan View Post
Isn't all season better since it is "ALL season" than winter "only"?

No. Do you not remember what I told you about all season tires?? That was not even 24 hours ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks