Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
If you were paying attention, nothing in the text of the OP had anything to do with personal validation other than having a photo of myself as an example. Note the title of thread and the discussion of race, acculturation, and Euro-centric beauty standards.
Sorry honey, but you don't get to dictate the responses to his thread, nor can you demand that I pay your words more attention than I think they are worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:45 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Wow. This thread blew up. I don't even think I have time to read it all.

I don't like it. Yes, I'm black. It's weird that we change our eye color, hair length, hair color, skin tone (through bleaching and other methods). I don't want to shoot a big bullet here but whatever happened to working with what was given to you instead of all out changing it?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
DO NOT BLEACH YOUR SKIN. Those skin creams are really bad for you. Everything else aside...cancer is not good. A lot of write ups have been coming out on the dangers of skin bleaching.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM

64 posts, read 314,670 times
Default Let's see

The girl is gorgeous, and is wearing those contacts well.
I'm sure she is gorgeous with the pretty brown eyes she
was born with also. It's good to try different looks at times.
The key is to be stylish about it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Out of curiosity, what testing service did you use? (I used 23&Me).

ancestrybydna.com

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
They look good. I think black hair and blue eyes are the most striking combination.

I had blue contacts years ago (my eyes are brown). I also have black hair, very white skin.

Yes, I got the stupid comments, too, about 'are those your real eyes?' So, you don't have to just be Black...people just seem to comment on anything different.
I've gotten them too as a guy yet. Not sure where the notion that blue eyes automatically means light brown or blonde hair. White people have jet black hair too. Granted my skin tone is more "medium" to borderline "olive" than "very white" but still if unlike the OP I were brave enough to post a photo on here I'd definitely be considered a "white dude" by features and not a "light skinned" Latino or Middle Easterner or anything like that (though there's more variation there than stereotype suggests as well; I was watching the National Spelling Bee earlier this month and I would've never guessed that one of the two "white girls" in the finalists was Puerto Rican until they profiled her; heck, she and her folks looked "whiter" than most American white people I know).

But I agree with the previous post that black people with blue eyes usually got them from some white admixture along the way. Unfortunately (and obviously hypocritically) a lot of the racist slave owners raped their female slaves (or sometimes had "affairs" with them) and pregnancies resulted. Many more African-Americans have "white blood" than most would think, just look at the variation in skin tones compared to people in Africa itself.

As for the OP, you look pretty darn fine without the contacts but if you enjoy them as a change of pace, have fun and who cares what others soon.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
...I recently got two pairs of fashion contact lenses (blue and green) for fun, because I saw one of my co-workers wearing a pair.
Your initial motivation was innocent. The people who subsequently accused you of self-loathing are making knee-jerk political statements that they have been programmed to make.

People are going to find something about you to criticize regardless. If it is not your contacts it will be your boobs, or your ethnicity or some other thing. In the end, it is their issue/problem, not yours.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
ancestrybydna.com
OK, thanks.

I agree with your remarks about being very surprised by the results. And, like you, I replaced "race" with "phenotype" after the surprise I got with my results.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
OK, thanks.

I agree with your remarks about being very surprised by the results. And, like you, I replaced "race" with "phenotype" after the surprise I got with my results.

Surprising, even stunning.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Sorry honey, but you don't get to dictate the responses to his thread, nor can you demand that I pay your words more attention than I think they are worth.
What do you think unfounded female hostility on this thread looks like to others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty