Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,059,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I recall a big fuss coming from Blacks, themselves, when a few years back a famous Black celebrity dyed her hair blond. They said it was self-loathing and all that crap. As if she were denying her race to go blond.
That's not right, if ya like then do it.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Wow I recently got two pairs of fashion contact lenses (blue and green) for fun, because I saw one of my co-workers wearing a pair. I didn't know they were so controversial! Someone I know basically accused me of being self-hating and accomodating a "Euro-centric society". This person, as well as myself, works for a company whose image is typically associated with the blond-haired, blue-eyed sort of female, but I didn't enter that territory. So I googled it and there are all these sites in which people are accusing black women with weaves and colored contacts with being self-hating or ashamed of their "blackness".

Here is a picture of me wearing blue contacts:

In my profile photo I'm wearing green ones.

I see it essentially as wearing a different colored dress or changing up your shoes. I don't wish to be white or anything. I don't see how changing up your eye color is a racial issue? But I think it's the kind of people who assume what they will regardless of evidence to the contrary.
I don't see anything wrong with changing one's looks. This knows no racial or ethnic boundaries.

Also, you are attractive and seemingly intelligent and well-adjusted, but posting this could be seen as a need for validation, approval or whatever, therefore disingenious to some. However, I sense that you are confident and do not require validation or approval but there will always be some who will project regardless of evidence, as you noted.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM

13 posts, read 38,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Do you have evidence that "most" blacks wear weaves? If not, you are stereotyping.

By the way, Caucasians do but generally prefer to call them hair extensions for some reason.

lmaoooo thats what i was sayin and i wasn't fuming i just hate when white people make comments like that it usually to be rude

Old 06-10-2010, 02:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,497,923 times
I think blonde hair looks beautiful on black women (not bleached-out white, but like Beyonce's-honey blond).
I've heard people of all races say colored contacts were a "Don't" but I love mine. It's a change of pace, like changing your hairstyle.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,311,147 times
Colored contacts are considered a fashion accessory among women of all races, so anyone who turns it into some race-related issue, has issues of their own.

They look good, OP.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,380,947 times
Shouldn't this be, ermm.. in the "Fashion and Beauty" part of the forum? Or do these different colored contacts directly affect your relationship.

PS: where'd you get them from? I've always wanted to try a lighter blue...

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,024,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOARADIO View Post
lmaoooo thats what i was sayin and i wasn't fuming i just hate when white people make comments like that it usually to be rude
My sister used to do weaves/extensions and in all those years I never heard one White say anything negative about it, about either Blacks or Whites or anyone else for that matter. The only time I heard anything said was when Blacks were bashing other Blacks for it. Sometimes it was for straightening or relaxing, sometimes for weaves but usually it was for going blond. We'd just look at each other like Mmkay.

ETA: Forgot to say, never heard anyone say anything bad about colored contacts.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,311,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Do you have evidence that "most" blacks wear weaves? If not, you are stereotyping.
No she's not. I myself thought that a weave was a process specific to African-American hair. When I thought it, in my mind I wasn't stereotyping.

Quote:
By the way, Caucasians do but generally prefer to call them hair extensions for some reason.
^^^^^ Maybe, that's why. I never even knew they were the same process. Shows how much I know.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,753 times
I am black and have blue eyes.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,160,748 times
I can't see the colored contacts from here. I think i'm just distracted though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty