Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times

Advertisements

Yo mama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The contacts look great on you! What can weaves possibly have to do with self-hatred...? It's not like Caucasians wear them...
I recall a big fuss coming from Blacks, themselves, when a few years back a famous Black celebrity dyed her hair blond. They said it was self-loathing and all that crap. As if she were denying her race to go blond.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I recall a big fuss coming from Blacks, themselves, when a few years back a famous Black celebrity dyed her hair blond. They said it was self-loathing and all that crap. As if she were denying her race to go blond.
It's not like there aren't self-loathing people out there. But accusing everyone who chooses a different hair/eye color for fashion reasons of being self-hating just smacks of nonsense.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
The contacts look great on you! What can weaves possibly have to do with self-hatred...? It's not like Caucasians wear them...
LOL! Good one.

I've known a lot of Black people with light eyes. Caucasians don't own that feature.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

I've known a lot of Black people with light eyes. Caucasians don't own that feature.
I have too, but you can always tell whose are natural and whose are contacts. Who cares tho? They look fine. The contacts look fine too.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
It's not like there aren't self-loathing people out there. But accusing everyone who chooses a different hair/eye color for fashion reasons of being self-hating just smacks of nonsense.
Agreed. Just telling her where a lot of the accusations come from. In fact, I never heard a White claim it, just Blacks to each other. Kind of like the stink over White families trying to adopt NA babies, the NAs didn't like it. Mmm maybe that's not what I'm trying to say here.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
The angst against weaves, colored contacts etc is due to this idea of forced conformity of being fully acultured to European standards. It's somewhat understandable considering you don't see white women "blackening" (read:not tanning) their complexions; wearing afro weaves or changing their noses to look like a steroetypical black person's features.

White people may not see this as a big deal, but just imagine if little Jessica, Jennifer, or Abby walked around believing that she didn't look good enough because she didn't in some way shape or form resemble a black person. Now imagine if these little "Jessicas" and "Jennifers" were in the millions walking around with these beliefs about themselves...I really think some of you might change your tune about it.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Well, they have them because there are Caucasians in their ancestry. I don't believe people have light eyes in countries with predominantly Black population without any interracial mixing.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The angst against weaves, colored contacts etc is due to this idea of forced conformity of being fully acultured to European standards. It's somewhat understandable considering you don't see white women "blackening" (read:not tanning) their complexion; wearing afro weaves or changing their noses to look like a steroetypical black person's features.
Who can deny some element of acculturation of a minority group into Western society? The issue is not that, per se, it is self-loathing. It's like, what comes first, the chicken or the egg? I don't think women wearing colored contacts causes little brown girls to hate themselves.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Well, they have them because there are Caucasians in their ancestry. I don't believe people have light eyes in countries with predominantly Black population without any interracial mixing.
Ah, never really thought about it. Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty