Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It would be interesting to know what the age of the posters to this thread are since generational views change over time.

If the majority of posters are under 45 then the participation in this thread is understandable.
So you get pissy that we're defending our choice to get tattoos, so we start a NEW thread to talk about them. Now, you're in here belittling us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,943 times
In response to JustJulia, yes, it's a key. A very stylized one.

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what the age of the posters to this thread are since generational views change over time.

If the majority of posters are under 45 then the participation in this thread is understandable.
I'm sorry that we're not all old and bitter and rude like you are.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So you get pissy that we're defending our choice to get tattoos, so we start a NEW thread to talk about them. Now, you're in here belittling us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
In response to JustJulia, yes, it's a key. A very stylized one.

I'm sorry that we're not all old and bitter and rude like you are.
What's wrong with you two? Demographics tells a lot about trends which is all I ask about.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
I'm 48, and I have no tats, yet.........planning on getting one as soon as my fortunes improve a bit.
I have been designing one for the past couple of years.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
36. As I said elsewhere, I plan to get my next tat when I turn 40. That'll give me lots of time to find a good artist and have my phoenix drawn up.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
Just curious, are any of you pierced? I'm looking into a double lip-piercing and I'd like to know how well clear bioplast retainers will work in concealing them while I am at work..

Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Funny coincidence: a friend I haven't heard from in about six years found me last night on Facebook. He lived with my husband and me for a while in Colorado, going through a very rough patch in his life, and we were trying to help him get on his feet and be a good citizen. He started to fall back into bad habits, so we had to kick him out, and he disappeared. I thought he would end up in jail or dead. But he's OK! He's married and had two kids and his own business, and he is doing so much better. I am very happy for him.

Anyway, even when he was homeless and living on friends' couches, he kept journals and carried them around with him. He was always writing and composing poems and songs. Back when he was living with us, I told him a phrase I had read--cacoethes scribendi, which is an insatiable urge to write (there's an umlaut over the first e in cacoethes). He wanted to get that tattooed on himself.

When we were talking last night, he asked me what that phrase was. He had forgotten it and had spent six years trying to remember.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...r/IM000225.jpg

Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Just curious, are any of you pierced? I'm looking into a double lip-piercing and I'd like to know how well clear bioplast retainers will work in concealing them while I am at work..
Me!

If you're planning on getting a double labret, you can't be switchin' out to retainers straight off. You'll either need to keep the steel/titanium studs in for two months, or get pierced with quartz jewelry as your initial studs. Quartz, while nearly invisible, is a bit more expensive and as your piercings heal, you'll have to get two new ones that are smaller. With bioplast, you can cut down the retainers to fit your lip better, but they're slightly more visible and you shouldn't wear them until your lip is healed.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post

This is my friend (and hair stylist). It's the only tattoo she has so far, but I love how dainty it is. The picture was taken right after she got home, so it's all swollen and shiny.
Not to be off topic to far but since tattooing is a painful process that leaves the skin injured and swollen I just don't get what the attraction is to doing this.

People don't otherwise injure themselves if they are normal so why this?

Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Not to be off topic to far but since tattooing is a painful process that leaves the skin injured and swollen I just don't get what the attraction is to doing this.

People don't otherwise injure themselves if they are normal so why this?
People go tanning all the time, don't they?

Tanning is sun damage.

Tanning is hurting yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty