Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Facelifting for women, weightlifting for men, shoplifting for kids - we all need our little ego boosters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I live in an area where a lot of women (and men) have had facelifts and other surgical procedures. Some are downright scary looking, while others are very natural and unless you knew the person, or they told you what they had done, you wouldn't know they had anything done at all. I am not against facelifts or elective surgery at all. I'm actually glad to live where I do because when I feel the need to have something done, I'll have a variety of people I can go to for recommendations to a good doctor!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I have read where a good face lift simply makes you look "refreshed". I don't like the pulled look and "surprise" eyebrows that some women get after a face lift (Jessica Lange, Marie Osmond, etc.,) I'd like to just have my jowls tightened a bit and my neck. Nothing major. If I got that done I'd look so much better.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-06-2010, 05:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have read where a good face lift simply makes you look "refreshed". I don't like the pulled look and "surprise" eyebrows that some women get after a face lift (Jessica Lange, Marie Osmond, etc.,) I'd like to just have my jowls tightened a bit and my neck. Nothing major. If I got that done I'd look so much better.

20yrsinBranson
My aunt had a face and neck lift done about 10 years ago, she went to a really good plastic surgeon. Everyone kept remarking how wonderful and rested she looked, no "surprised" look at all.
She spent many a year in the cotton fields around Broseley, Mo, so had prematurely aged, she still looks wonderful!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
After all, surgery is surgery.
"The human body makes no distinction when the scalpel hits," warns Dr. Richard D'Amico, president-elect of the American Society for Plastic Surgery (ASPS). "The difference with elective cosmetic surgeries is that patients generally start out being healthy."

Among the more common dangers:
numbness, seroma and necrosis.
Proceed With Caution
Temporary numbness or loss of feeling at the site of the incision is fairly common in face-lifts and tummy tucks, though it's rarely permanent.

Numbness after breast surgeries of any type is the most common. Loss of sensation in the nipple in particular occurs anywhere from 10% to 70% of the time, says Dr. Nahai, president of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) depending on the type of procedure. What's worst? Breast reductions, where the nipple and areola are totally removed and reattached as skin grafts.
Seroma is a collection of watery body fluids that occurs most often in tummy tucks. It's common enough that many surgeons take preventative measures by inserting a drain during surgery, notes Dr. D'Amico.
Some tissue death from surgical manipulation, called necrosis, is inevitable after any procedure, though your risks increase dramatically if you're a smoker. That's because smoking affects blood supply to the tissues. By definition, the surgeon is cutting into those tissues, and if the blood supply is already compromised, necrosis is more likely to occur.
After any surgery, there is the possibility of excessive bleeding. Hematoma, a collection of blood, occurs more in men than in women because beard follicles in the face mean there are more capillaries--and therefore an increased blood supply in that area.
Infections
are rare in plastic surgery patients, since most are healthy to begin with. When they happen, however, they can spread quickly and must be stopped immediately.
The rarest and most feared of side effects is, of course, death. Toxic levels of anesthetics have been known to cause respiratory failure in some patients. In some rare instances, high levels of topical lidocaine have led to death. In others, imitation Botox, or other imitation fillers not approved by the FDA, have left patients in comas for up to several years, and eventually dead.

Read more at:

Ten Plastic Surgery Risks You Need To Know - Forbes.com

Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

That is all I need too, no wrinkles. Everytime I see that commercial for the "lunchtime lift"?.........I dream about having it done.

But, I do not trust the doctors, I am afraid they would leave me lopsided or worse. If you ask a Dr. for referrals, he is only going to send you to the ones that came out the best.......right?

And..........I did not know Marie Osmand had a facelift.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
It's rumored that Angelina Jolie has had a facelift, Google it. Enhanced her look imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess they think men are so stupid and superficial not to notice a face that doesn't correspond to the rest of the person

Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
I had a mid face and neck lift. Sorry but if i can look like my self but better, why not?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I don't see anything wrong with it at all. If you can weed out a good doctor from the bad, I say, "go for it".

Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I can understand the "I just want to look better" attitude. It's only natural to think that way. However, Mother Nature and Father Time will have their way, whether you like it or not.

You just can't keep your looks. Get used to it. Learn to age gradually and accept it. It makes life a lot easier when you get waaaayyy up there in age.

Did I ever want to get a face lift? Oh yes. I wanted to get this big old nose trimmed down too. But now, that face lift would not even be noticed unless I had had it repeated over and over again. But I am content with the way my face has aged naturally. It isn't a mask with weird lip line and wide opened eyes.

Not all surgeons do good work on every face. You could be one of the lucky ones, or maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty