Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times

Advertisements

I don't think seasonal color is BS, but I am hard to type because I have warm and cool traits simultaneously. Ultimately, for me at least, skin tone is the most important factor. I have very pale but warm skin that is nevertheless better complemented by silver tone jewelry than straight gold. My eyes, if you get real close, are composed of two shades of blue (deep warm indigo and pale icy blue) and some amber - from more than a few inches away they appear to be neutral mossy green. My hair is light brown and naturally VERY ashy. I'm a spring, but I've always found the "clear" spring colors to be too bright for me. The muted more "warm spring" colors work better, and I can also wear the colors identified as "soft autumn". I think the extension of the idea into 12 sub-types makes it much easier to figure out your type, but there is no substitute for draping fabric. I had several people insist I was a summer because of the extreme cool tone of my hair and the way my skin looks better against silver than gold. Then they draped summer colors over me and went OK you're not a summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I don't think seasonal color is BS, but I am hard to type because I have warm and cool traits simultaneously. Ultimately, for me at least, skin tone is the most important factor. I have very pale but warm skin that is nevertheless better complemented by silver tone jewelry than straight gold. My eyes, if you get real close, are composed of two shades of blue (deep warm indigo and pale icy blue) and some amber - from more than a few inches away they appear to be neutral mossy green. My hair is light brown and naturally VERY ashy. I'm a spring, but I've always found the "clear" spring colors to be too bright for me. The muted more "warm spring" colors work better, and I can also wear the colors identified as "soft autumn". I think the extension of the idea into 12 sub-types makes it much easier to figure out your type, but there is no substitute for draping fabric. I had several people insist I was a summer because of the extreme cool tone of my hair and the way my skin looks better against silver than gold. Then they draped summer colors over me and went OK you're not a summer!
I was thrown off by similar stuff for years. I can get a golden tan & have gold flecks in my eyes but my hair is cool toned and what really makes the difference for me is the color contrast.... I'm just not peachy toned enough to be an autumn. I'm not as completely cool as some winters though for years I tried to accomodate all kinds of looks-- bronzer, highlights, golden/yellow makeup shades etc. For years I refused to wear silver jewlery, thinking it would look "wrong" on me. I am definitely stocking up on that this summer.

Maybe you should take another color test. I have a hard time telling the difference between a spring and summer though my guess usually is based on skin tone... and you do sound like a summer. There is a link in the OP that goes to a website that gives good info. Here are some other websites that may help:
COLOR THEORY: COLOR ANALYSIS BASED ON COLOR SCIENCE

References - *Truth is Beauty

INDEX WELCOME

The last website has a comprehensive test that should give a fairly fail safe answer.

I've been trying to discuss color on another website and people just won't respond. People really want to be able to wear any color-- this is what fashion has told them but it's just not true. I think most people should wear unflattering colors away from their face or as accents if they really feel they "have" to have that color. I personally haven't used that many colors that aren't my palette in years.... except for neutral tan shoes or bags. I purged out a half dozen things or more from my spring stuff last night simply because the item was the wrong color and never got much use anyway!

Kate Moss popularized a lot of the current/2000s look--- black clothes, a "sexy" boho type look. She frequently wears unflattering colors near her face..... and gets away with it, because she is a *model*.
http://images.free-extras.com/pics/k/kate_moss-759.jpg

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Copyright images

Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
I was like,totally into doing Seasonal colors for myself and others back in the 80's!
I am a Winter, with naturally(formerly I am pre mature silver like lots of Winters) dark dark brown hair and hazel eyes that have faded to cool green.I looked great in blue red, fuschia and black n white.

But now my skin has darkened from alabaster lost its pink, my eyes are lighter and everyone swears my hair looks better a light red brown than dk cool brown. So i wear lots of Autumn and Summer colors like turquoise, coral ,apple green,periwinkle off white and dk brown. I look bad in blue-red,royal purple or fuschia now. And they were my best!!So I have no idea any more???

Did this happen to anyone else? My daughter is a %100 Winter like Snow White, so I can recall

I still cannot wear gold or citron green, so I don't think I am an autumn...

Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I was thrown off by similar stuff for years. I can get a golden tan & have gold flecks in my eyes but my hair is cool toned and what really makes the difference for me is the color contrast.... I'm just not peachy toned enough to be an autumn. I'm not as completely cool as some winters though for years I tried to accomodate all kinds of looks-- bronzer, highlights, golden/yellow makeup shades etc. For years I refused to wear silver jewlery, thinking it would look "wrong" on me. I am definitely stocking up on that this summer.
Personally I think the flecks in your eyes, or hair color is not the best indicator. Ultimately I think your skin tone is what you have to go with.

Most people would initially say I'm Autumn as I have dark brown hair with Auburn and Golden highlights. I also have a few light caramel colored freckles. However...My eyes are a brown but cool toned and my skin tone is also cool toned. I look terrible in orange or yellow. The most frustrating thing is when I was highlighting my hair the colorists always wanted to go with caramel highlights which would match my freckles and bring them out!

I look better with dark hair and my freckles almost disappear. I'm definitely a winter!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:32 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I look terrible in orange or yellow. The most frustrating thing is when
Well, see, that's the thing. There are oranges and yellow you would look good in. Each color has a certain tone that looks good on everyone. I used to think I looked bad in orange until I found the right one. There are shades of every color, there are also warm and cool version of every color(except white and black.

If you have freckles you are definitely a warm tone . Either Spring of Autumn.
Is it allowed to post a link to a thread in another forum, because there is a great one on cruise critic

I also think a lot of people think "pale" means cool. It doesn't. You can be a pale warm tone or a pale cool tone
Some other stuff

Season Color Analysis Skin Tone
Complexion refers to the natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially that of the face. The coloring of people is cold (undertones bluish pink) or warm (undertones golden yellow).
The best effect for the skin tone, and also for hair and makeup, can be achieved using complementary colors in clothes, dyes, and makeup. What follows is only a simplified idea of the theory and some of the main colors.
Freckles are small brownish spots of melanin on skin in people of fair complexion. Predisposition to freckles is genetic and is related to the presence of red hair. The same process, which produces sun tanning, causes your freckles although the distribution of melanin is uneven, causing the freckling.
As Freckles are predominantly found on the face, warm colors will be the most flattering for you.Your season is determined based on the undertone of your skin which is either warm or cool. Since you cannot see this undertone, a draping of fabric colors enable you to determine if you are warm or cool.

This is a simple way to find your color palette. Items you will need: A large mirror, large enough that you can see from your chest or neck area up. Scarves or folds of fabric in an assortment of color
Stand near an open window, door, or outside as long as you are not facing direct sunlight.
Wrap the scarves or fabric so that your neck line and upper chest are are covered.
Close your eyes and then open, what was noticed first, your face or the color?
If it was your face you have a good color choice.
If it was the color you saw first it is not one for you.
You will know the right color, it will stay in the background and your face will be noticed before the color.
Test your colors using opposite seasons, Navy against orange and brown, Pure white against a navy. By way of the wrong color, you find the right color.

One simple rule, face first-not color. A word of caution here, The color may not be as flattering for your body as it was to you complexion. A large area of vivid or bright color will make a large body look larger than it actually is. The cut and the style of the garment are as important. The color that lifts the face might not work for a certain style of dress. Home sewers should be especially careful here due to the range of choices in a fabric store

Old 03-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes hart4july & lyra I agree....... I was the opposite-- lighter and tanned as a kid then I got dark as a teenager. I've been dark ever since and wasted the last ten years trying to make myself over in to a ligher type person. Huuuuuge waste of time and as far as I know CMB is the only system that explains why. From all I've read it's the combonation of hair color and skin tone that dictates it. And somehow, each season has certain hair color/skin tone/eye color combos.... so if you don't have one or all the factors, you can't be that season. For me the reason why I'm not an autumn is that my overall coloring isn't peachy enough. I'm also not a summer because though I was a little lighter as a kid I look like a winter in my baby photos and have looked like one since was about 12-13. I think the 6th grade is when my coloring changed. My mom's family used to tease me in highschool, they all said my "hair turned black". I felt unaccepted for a lot of years and then wasted all my 30s trying to make myself in to someone else. !!!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:37 PM

If this is not allowed, please just delete the link. I looked around to see if I could find the answer

This is a 160 page thread with everything you could ever wish to know about seasonal analysis
What Season Are You? - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM

Yes you are right about this Jenny. This is probably a good reason once you find your season to invest in color swatches. I can usually eyeball my color but I'm off a lot of the time too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Well, see, that's the thing. There are oranges and yellow you would look good in. Each color has a certain tone that looks good on everyone. I used to think I looked bad in orange until I found the right one. There are shades of every color, there are also warm and cool version of every color(except white and black.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I totally believe in this theory. I am a Spring.

One test: Do blue-ish or orange-ish reds look better on you? Orange-ish for me, no doubt about it. Winters and summers can wear the blue-ish reds - and Falls and Springs, the orange-ish (from memory, some 25 year's ago . . .)

I think it has to do with yellow or blue undertones . . . can't remember, but those reds with blue undertones look horrible on me.

It is funny that you can be attracted to certain colors and not know that they might not look good on you. I love yellows, but can't wear too many of them (maybe a pale yellow) - I have had to throw out so many clothes that were simply wrong color choices.

Hold the color up to your face in natural light and see how it makes your skin and eyes look. I used to carry that swatch that came with the book in my wallet and it really helped.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Yes you are right about this Jenny. This is probably a good reason once you find your season to invest in color swatches. I can usually eyeball my color but I'm off a lot of the time too.
LIke , I said, I avoided, brown yellow and orange. I still avoid most brown yellow and oranges. However there are 1 or 2 tones of each that work well.
I spent $20 and brought the color palette book. I had trouble with losing the swatches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty