Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

My wife and her friends drive 3 hours each way to go to this place so it must be good:

Just Like A Woman - Specialty Lingerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 02:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
VelvetFedora, jasper12 & AnyWhere else, I'm with you, totally. I've avoided wearing bras at all costs for so long, it may be that I just need my comfort above anything else. I'm going to try once more- get the fitting & see if I can tolerate the straps & the feeling of being bound I've gotten along so far by wearing the tanks with built in support, etc. I love the suggestions, thanks everyone

Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,976 times
Yes, most bras are uncomfortable and expensive. Having done the fitting at Nordstrom's years ago, I know what size to wear but they want me in an underwire--ouch! My skin is too sensitive for restrictive clothing so most days I wear non-wire bra, sometimes a sports bra . If I don't wear a bra for these 36DDD girls, I'll end up like Joan Rivers who said she was onece in an elevator with a man whom she thought was pinching her breast--he was standing on it

Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'll second the recommendation for Olga bras.

After inspecting many many makes even at expensive specialty stores, where I found none that passed my inspection, they are the only ones I've found without itchy lace, seams in the wrong places, and whose straps are wide and padded against the skin without folded stitching underneath to irritate your shoulder. They come with and without underwire and I use both when I can find my size. The underwires don't come out and stick you like a lot of others after washing.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM

127 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
VelvetFedora, jasper12 & AnyWhere else, I'm with you, totally. I've avoided wearing bras at all costs for so long, it may be that I just need my comfort above anything else. I'm going to try once more- get the fitting & see if I can tolerate the straps & the feeling of being bound I've gotten along so far by wearing the tanks with built in support, etc. I love the suggestions, thanks everyone
What cup and band size are you? (Ballpark, I mean.)

I ask because depending upon what you wear, you may have a lot more alternatives than you think. The "Why Wear Bras?" article I linked to earlier offers over a dozen different types of bra alternatives and bra-like undergarments that are suitable for work. A few suggestions I have tried myself include:

-Camisoles (I have some cropped and some full-length.)
-Thin sports bras (Like this: C9 by Champion® Women's Seamless Cami Bra - Cabana Green : Target (http://tinyurl.com/3qxrnbg - broken link) – fantastic under dress clothes, especially when you get them in neutrals or black, because of the thin straps)
-T-shirt bras or unstructured bras (no underwire, can be found at stores like American Apparel – check out these options: American Apparel | Women's Styles | Bras)
-Tanks with shelf bras
-Thick-ribbed tank tops
-Bikini tops (A plain black, nude, white, or pink athletic-cut top should work fine.)

As mentioned, I'm a D, which is significant boobage, usually a size that's recommended to always wear an underwire. You can't typically find "cute," cheap, traditional bras above a C-cup, especially not without underwire, and that's another reason why I love the "alternatives" I mentioned above...they're significantly cheaper.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
they get in the way sometimes, but I'm not sure I "hate" them...

Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM

VelvetFedora, I'm a 38c I suppose. The advice you give is spot on- I've got the camisoles, tanks w/shelf bras & also rely heavily on the thicker tanks. If I didn't work with so many older women I'd try to get by as I always have

Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
I HATE bras!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I'm male, and I don't like bras either, but I try not to be a guy who ogles women or nudges his buddies and snickers about any women in sight. It's more that I just think people shouldn't have to go around with parts of their bodies strapped up, and I like the idea that it's best not to interfere with nature. I don't like cosmetics either--I must be just an ole hippie left over from the 1960s!

I suppose we're all going to wear clothes, but for the inside of those clothes, I'm quite ready to accept women as being fit to face the world with whatever body type they have, without any changes or concealment needed. My attitude toward boobs is "they're all good". I wish bras could be treated as totally optional.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I'm male, and I don't like bras either, but I try not to be a guy who ogles women or nudges his buddies and snickers about any women in sight. It's more that I just think people shouldn't have to go around with parts of their bodies strapped up, and I like the idea that it's best not to interfere with nature. I don't like cosmetics either--I must be just an ole hippie left over from the 1960s!

I suppose we're all going to wear clothes, but for the inside of those clothes, I'm quite ready to accept women as being fit to face the world with whatever body type they have, without any changes or concealment needed. My attitude toward boobs is "they're all good". I wish bras could be treated as totally optional.
Love that "hippie" attitude...I was born in '67 so maybe that's tied into my hatred for bras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty