Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Dude, a lot of people don't appreciate the haute couture stuff coz it appears bizarre for them. They just can't comprehend art.

But once you get into artistic mode, you will appreciate anything and everything. Cezanne simply smeared paint on canvas and even that is art. Botticelli gave out an empty blank paper and said that was his version of paradise and heaven - empty white space, undrawable, unfathomable etc.,

How easy it would have been to trash his white space end piece? Impossible coz it consummates the series.

If this is a fashion board, art has to be appreciated. Or we can all go dressed like the people in walmart 2 dollar waffle tees and tank tops
It also has to be discriminating. When an established master pulls off crap like a white piece of paper, then you can study it and look for the symbolism. But when some random jerk-off splatters some crap on a shirt and declares it's 'art' so he can charge more money, I don't really hold it in the same regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Quote:
Dude, you're starting to sound like a hillbilly now. They're the ones who port the "don't care" attitude, can't appreciate art, and make a big fuss about the cost of things, and consider everything they cannot fathom to appreciate "stupid" and "idiotic".

If you're buying your Tees from Walmart, you be my guest. Other people have some sense of class and fashion, tending towards an appreciation of art.

It's ironic I'm reading such a rant on a fashion board, where people talk about things in the media, the newest trend and such.

Actually I am anything but a hillbilly. And I have fashion sense. But that does'nt mean I run right out to buy things that are now in fashion. If I like the look of it, then yes I might. But if it looks rediculous to me, then I wouldn't.

And who says I buy my tees from Walmart. Never have never will. You don't really know me. You see there are alot of high end jeans that I own but it isn't because there fads, it's because I actually thought they look good. I own several pairs of True Religion, Lucky Brand, vintage Levis, G-star, etc, etc. I could go on. I also own brands that are less expensive like American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch (only the jeans though, because they tend to be good quality and never any shirt with their stupid logo on it. I wear a lot of simple tee's. But they aren't from K-mart or walmart. I'm talking more like J-crew. I like the way the fit me. And yes I have spent alot of money on sweaters and such because I felt I must have it. But I rarely spend a lot of money on jeans.

I actually find alot of my clothes from places like Plato's closet. For all those jeans I mentioned, I have never spent retail price for them. I even wear Khaki's from the Gap, because I like their colors. Although honestly it's been a while. I liked their colors to their khaki's more in the late nineties. And because I think that they have improved their t-shirts in the last couple of years although the rest of their stuff for men at least looks like crap. I'm personally not into clothes with too many designs. More classic look for me. So you really have no idea of what I look or dress like. So stop with the Walmart insults. Never have bought clothes from Walmart, K-mart, old Navy, Aeropostale, etc. T.J. Max because of my demographics. Although I heard the clothes vary from place to place depending on the demographics. So stop assuming just because I don't like a hideous white tee splashed with coffee colors that I have no style. I wouldn't pay 85 dollars for any t-shirt. But that's just me.

Now I've noticed on many of your threads you seem to mention brands like Brooks Brothers, etc. The fact that you keep bringing up what a debonair dresser you must think you are only shows me that you seem a bit insecure. That's what brought me to the realization that you must be pretty young. Because most of us know that following trends is mostly a youth thing. And by the way, I have never, ever worn tight jeans. As far as I'm concerned their for hipsters and women. But that isn't the only reason, I just think they look stupid. But getting back to you, you most likely will grow out of it and one day you might look back and think "what was I thinking." Then again, I don't know you and I am basing all of this from your posts...And by the way, I just turned 37 so I think for my age that I have my own sense of whats cool. Just saying.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-28-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ant, a polo shirt is hardly art. A designer shirt may be better made, with nicer fabric and better stitching, and it might last longer, but in the end a polo shirt is a polo shirt. It's not couture. It might be worn as part of an expensive outfit, but it's not art, no matter how much it costs.
This isn't looking like a discussion on art. I'll admit I won't buy that T-shirt, becoz as I mentioned a lot of times here, Antlers is a plain clothes guy, I don't even wear checked shirts, I take all my design into my ties. And all my Tees/polos are plain and few are somewhat striped.

Let's look at all the posts - modest living, not spending 85 bucks, living within means - that is NOT fashion.

I was in Neiman Marcus last month. A plain white Tee was billed 235 bucks. That is stupid?

No, I held it in my hand and it was made by some Italian designer. I could see the texture of the Tee, and I hadn't seen anything like it before. These guys are not stupid.

Fashionable things don't come cheap. They cost money and a sense of appreciation.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
This isn't looking like a discussion on art. I'll admit I won't buy that T-shirt, becoz as I mentioned a lot of times here, Antlers is a plain clothes guy, I don't even wear checked shirts, I take all my design into my ties. And all my Tees/polos are plain and few are somewhat striped.

Let's look at all the posts - modest living, not spending 85 bucks, living within means - that is NOT fashion.

I was in Neiman Marcus last month. A plain white Tee was billed 235 bucks. That is stupid?

No, I held it in my hand and it was made by some Italian designer. I could see the texture of the Tee, and I hadn't seen anything like it before. These guys are not stupid.

Fashionable things don't come cheap. They cost money and a sense of appreciation.
LOL...man, they have you so snowed.

Now I understand how these people stay in business.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Actually I am anything but a hillbilly. And I have fashion sense. But that does'nt mean I run right out to buy things that are now in fashion. If I like the look of it, then yes I might. But if it looks rediculous to me, then I wouldn't.

And who says I buy my tees from Walmart. Never have never will. You don't really know me. You see there are alot of high end jeans that I own but it isn't because there fads, it's because I actually thought they look good. I own several pairs of True Religion, Lucky Brand, vintage Levis, G-star, etc, etc. I could go on. I also own brands that are less expensive like American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch (only the jeans though, because they tend to be good quality and never any shirt with their stupid logo on it. I wear a lot of simple tee's. But they aren't from K-mart or walmart. I'm talking more like J-crew. I like the way the fit me. And yes I have spent alot of money on sweaters and such because I felt I must have it. But I rarely spend a lot of money on jeans. I find alot of my clothes from places like Plato's closet. I even wear Khaki's from the Gap, because I think that they have improved their t-shirts in the last couple of years although the rest of their stuff for men at least looks like crap. So you really have no idea of what I look or dress like. So stop with the Walmart insults. Never have bought clothes from Walmart, K-mart, old Navy, Aeropostale, etc. T.J. Max because of my demographics. Although I heard the clothes vary from place to place depending on the demographics. So stop assuming just because I don't like a hideous white tee splashed with coffee colors that I have no style. I wouldn't pay 85 dollars for any t-shirt. But that's just me.

Now I've noticed on many of your threads you seem to mention brands like Brooks Brothers, etc. The fact that you keep bringing up what a debonair dresser you must think you are only shows me that you seem a bit insecure. That's what brought me to the realization that you must be pretty young. Because most of us know that following trends is mostly a youth thing. You will grow out of it and most likely one day look back and think what was I thinking. Then again, I don't know you and I am basing all of this from your posts...
Insecurity now? LMAO.

The absolute truth is, I can "afford" it. I'm snobbish about clothing and I'm sorry I'm not sorry for it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL...man, they have you so snowed.

Now I understand how these people stay in business.
LOL I didn't buy it, I would have if it were long sleeved and were a polo in a good colour like dark green. But Neiman Marcus posts incredible sales every month, has a lot of "insecure" customers

My former boss said his suit cost him 5000 bucks. He must be really insecure.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
If they were handing it out for free, I'd take it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
It's not so bad but I wouldn't purchase it. 85$ is too much.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Understood. I was just pointing to an earlier statement where it seemed like you compared your polo shirts to art.

Quote:
Nobody's ever heard of designer clothes? In the designer world, no design is stupid. It's all art.

Some of my brooks brothers/fred perry polos top 150 bucks and I proudly bought them with my hard earned money, and wear it like a Champ.
If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Quote:
We could have a good debate on that. It's next to impossible to wear specific clothes on a modest budget, because even on sale or at an outlet they will be expensive. But people can wear classically good-looking clothes without particular labels.

Quote:

From my point of view, yes, $235 for a plain white T-shirt is stupid. I understand about fabric and craftsmanship and that a very well-made shirt will look great and not stretch out. It will hang better when you wear it. There is definite sensibility in investing in better quality clothes. But at the same time, it's still a T-shirt that was probably made for pennies on the dollar. Almost all of that $235 is because of the designer label and Neiman Marcus overhead. It's just up to each person to decide whether that difference is worth it. To me, no, it's not.

Quote:
I agree. I still think $235 for a plain white T-shirt is wasteful and foolish. If I were a millionaire I still would not pay that kind of money. Perhaps for a sweater or a purse, or a pair of jeans or shoes, something that fit really well and looked wonderful and I knew I would enjoy it for years. A plain white T-shirt, no matter how nicely made, is not the same thing.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
LOL I didn't buy it, I would have if it were long sleeved and were a polo in a good colour like dark green. But Neiman Marcus posts incredible sales every month, has a lot of "insecure" customers

My former boss said his suit cost him 5000 bucks. He must be really insecure.

The fact that he is openly discussing the cost of his overpriced clothing with his coworkers, etc, is pretty much enough to convince me.

Hey, don't get me wrong. When I was younger, I used to love to buy fancy clothes, designer jeans, the newest coolest electronic gadget, etc.

Strangely, now that I could pretty much buy whatever I want whenever I want, I realize all that stuff is just pointless. But I think everyone goes through a phase like that. Some people's just lasts longer than others.

My mom said it best when she told my pudgy dad (when he was buying expensive suits) that the best fashion accessory is a smoking hot body. If you have a smoking hot bod, no one cares what you are wearing.

I love a dark green shirt, though. YUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty