Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Right-o Tally. (I know you meant sandals with no socks) Years ago, I wore a pair of shoes without socks or hose. I developed the worst case of stink-foot I'm sure anyone had ever experienced. Had to throw the shoes away. Believing it must be a fault in the shoes, I tried it again; this time with a pair of which I was quite fond. Same result. So how does one manage to go without a foot covering inside your shoe without eventually dealing with this problem? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know.
I have never had problems with sweaty/stinky feet but I remember that Dr Oz answered this question on Oprah a few years ago...

So how can you get rid of the bacteria? Dr. Oz's remedy has a cure in the bag. Brew up some mild iced tea and put your feet in it for about 30 minutes a day for a week. "The tannic acid in the tea will actually tan your foot a little bit, which will dry it out," he says. "That's helpful in reducing the amount of sweat, and the odor as well."

Read more: Your Questions Answered! - Oprah.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Right-o Tally. (I know you meant sandals with no socks) Years ago, I wore a pair of shoes without socks or hose. I developed the worst case of stink-foot I'm sure anyone had ever experienced. Had to throw the shoes away. Believing it must be a fault in the shoes, I tried it again; this time with a pair of which I was quite fond. Same result. So how does one manage to go without a foot covering inside your shoe without eventually dealing with this problem? I'm not being snarky, I really want to know.
Hmm, this is not usually a problem for me. I think every year I get older, my feet sweat even less. I have been a barefoot in my shoes kinda girl since at least middle school.

I always hope I can fool my feet into sweating at the gym, but no dice. My feet generally only sweat when I wear socks to sleep. :P

Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Well, since it sounds like I'm the only one, I guess I'll take my serious physiological flaw and slink away. On panty hose covered feet.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I don't really have a stinky shoe problem, either, and when you think about it, panty hose are so thin that they're not going to absorb or prevent any foot odor anyway.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I don't pay attention to "what they say to wear." I prefer to wear panty hose when I wear a knee length dress and I wear a tone that more closely matches my skin or black with a black dress -- I never thought the idea of wearing panty hose, or regular hose for that matter, was to draw attention to your legs. IMHO it was to provide a more polished look to legs, and I don't feel "completely dressed" if I wear a dress without panty hose. However, if I wear a long dress, I probably won't wear panty hose, especially in warm weather. I do not find panty hose uncomfortable, but they can feel like they're sticking to you in the hot months of summer.

First let me say that I too like many who had written here, was around when they were invented....and I at first thought they were spawned by the Devil, as one had to be careful as getting vaginitis and other varients of that was so easy to get due to that area not "breathing". But I soon began to love them, but only for winter or when the occasion called of it.

Now to address what I bolded, I think you are right, but only for the American market. Having gotten back from Europe last week, I stocked up on what I call "crazy socks and tights" as in Belgrade, at least, they are made to draw attention to legs, and I love them as you cannot find them here in the states! THey have stores and kiosks that just sell hose and socks and I stocked up. Wore my first pair last week, and friends laughed as they said they could tell where I had been! I feel totally sexy when I wear them!!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
My problem is blistering -- my shoes fit perfectly, but there are places that rub -- this last pair I went without socks once, and blistered the arches of my feet.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:33 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't really have a stinky shoe problem, either, and when you think about it, panty hose are so thin that they're not going to absorb or prevent any foot odor anyway.
I guess the answer is not to think about it then, because I don't have the problem as long as I wear socks or panty hose.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have not worn pantyhose in years, although now that I'm working, I wear tights with skirts in the winter. In the summer in Savannah? No way. The legs are still OK, fortunately. I may decide to wear regular once in awhile this winter, but I will choose the shade carefully.
There was a young woman who came down to my office one time, who was originally from Russia. I'm sure she was making an extra effort to look proper. She had on pantyhose, but they were a pale tan color that looked just awful.
So, what I'm saying is, there are pantyhose and then there are pantyhose. I certainly can use the extra spandex, that's for sure.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:36 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Wearing hose

I always wore pantyhose until 2008, that is, until I went on a fun trip with other ladies, some of which were 15-20 years older than me. They actually asked me why I wore them and I've worn them for work but my mom had the varicose vein thing and always wore them.

Well, I stopped right after time. I took a while to get used to it and yes, I often feel legs look better with hose. I'm in Florida so we see everything but I have a slight tan so sometimes you couldn't even tell.

Now, when, the occasion calls for it, I'm a Spanx girl!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
As for not wanting to wear shoes barefooted, they make mini-socks that just barely cover the foot and can be worn inside flats. I prefer the Hue brand, which can be found at Macy's and Nordstrom, I believe.

I wear black/dark grey and patterned black tights in the fall/winter. Also, I like skin-toned fishnets as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty