Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

She's skinnier than Adrianna Lima, ribs showing.... So, based on image alone can you accurately tell me that she is unhealthy?

Female Fitness Models and Female Fitness Competitors 7

Her ribs are showing because she has dieted herself down to an unaturally low weight for her self.

While very tall, she appears to have short legs. Most of her height is in her torso, which is very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
So, fitness models are dieting themselves to unnaturally weights too?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
You don't have hair like either of those girls and be anorexic.

Face of Anorexia Model Isabelle Caro Dead At 28; Death In Question?! (Photos)

^^^true face of anorexia. former model

Old 01-23-2012, 06:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
You don't have hair like either of those girls and be anorexic.

Face of Anorexia Model Isabelle Caro Dead At 28; Death In Question?! (Photos)

^^^true face of anorexia. former model
Oh my God, that poor girl. I can't believe she was 28 ... she looks like a woman in her mid-40s who was gravely ill. That's what I mean about the sunken face and hollow eyes. The girl in the while bikini looks nothing like her. Her face is round and soft, and as you point out, her hair is full and fluffy. She's unusually slender but does not look sick to me.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
These are facts, yes. It is also a fact that it is normal for girls to begin menstruation at any point in their teenage years. Late onset of menarche does not necessarily indicate an eating disorder.

I've never seen any data suggesting models begin menstruation later than other girls. I merely offered myself up as an example of a girl who did not hit puberty until later than most.

Actually, fat comprises only a small portion of breasts. When women gain weight they will gain fat in their breasts, but the amount of breast tissue does not change. A thin woman with small breasts would also be a fat woman with, though larger, proportionately small breasts.

I believe a professional model eats to maintain their figure, sure. That means they probably aren't gorging on steak and french fries, but it doesn't mean they're using unhealthy methods to stay slender. Certainly, there are those who go to extremes and I hope that their friends and family can recognize this and get them help, but those people are the minority of the fashion industry.

You keep focusing on the negative aspects as if they are true for everyone, even as I sit here before you and offer myself and my experiences up as examples of how the industry is not the seedy, expose worthy business that people think it is. One model starves herself to death and that's all people hear about. They don't take into consideration the thousands of other models who are leading happy, healthy lives.
We can argue about this forever. That's how I see it and that's my opinion. I don't know the percentages, but what I've seen enough anorexic looking women walking down those runways to personally believe there is a strong pressure to make women thin and that it is still very fashionable. I never said ALL models were anorexic, but it's still a significant problem in the modelling industry.

Many do use unhealthy methods. Anyone that thin is not eating as they should.

What exactly are you defending? I'm not trying to tear down modelling -even if I personally find it silly - only the whole super-skinny trend that has been in vogue for years now.

If models are only there to show off clothes I fail to see how it's a glamorous occupation. Only those narcissistic to want to be the next Elle McPherson, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Miranda Kerr etc really have much ambition for it. Personally if I were a woman that's the last thing I'd want to be, even if I had the looks for it, but that's just me. By the way I personally think Miranda is a bit too skinny myself, but again that's my opinion. Even if she's not unhealthy that's not my preference, but a good majority I've seen are far worse than her.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Uh, yeah, but not because they're all dying or getting fat at 25. The industry is obsessed with youth and always looking for new, different faces. It's no surprise considering it also proclaims a trend one season and then dismisses it as trite the next. There's also the fact that it's an incredibly competitive business, just like acting or music or dance or any other performance based career. Of all the folks working to become a star, only a very small percentage become household names.
Yes it's natural for women to put on weight after puberty and later. What's the big difference between a 21 year old and a 26 year old? Why is the fashion industry obsessed with very young women/teenage girls? Because they want models who look like pre-pubescent children, that's why.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 AM

To be honest here mate, you're basing your arguments off your feelings and opinions. You're not even a woman.

"Personally if I were a woman that's the last thing I'd want to be"

You're not a woman and that's something next to impossible to conceptualize your opinions based on that.

We get that you don't like models, skinny frames, etc. You put it down constantly, which is unfair to judge someones hopes, dreams and occupation desires.

"I don't know the percentages, but what I've seen enough anorexic looking women walking down those runways " ... you later say, still a significant problem in the modelling industry

Also, have you actually been to a fashion show?

Many do use unhealthy methods.

Do you know every single model? Do you know every single models diet habits?

"I'm not trying to tear down modelling -even if I personally find it silly"

-I fail to see how it's a glamorous occupation
-that's the last thing I'd want to be
-Only those narcissistic to want to be the next
-still a significant problem in the modelling industry (On what hard data?)...e.x., I don't know the percentages,

(These are just from one post, so yes you continue to tear down modeling)

Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We can argue about this forever. That's how I see it and that's my opinion. I don't know the percentages, but what I've seen enough anorexic looking women walking down those runways to personally believe there is a strong pressure to make women thin and that it is still very fashionable. I never said ALL models were anorexic, but it's still a significant problem in the modelling industry.

Many do use unhealthy methods. Anyone that thin is not eating as they should.
Fashion industry, no modeling industry by the way.

Hasty generalization (fallacy of insufficient statistics, fallacy of insufficient sample, fallacy of the lonely fact, leaping to a conclusion, hasty induction, secundum quid, converse accident) – basing a broad conclusion on a small sample

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 AM

No I was never on the school debating team. But I just had to respond to UnexpectedError's claims about how these super-thin girls were somehow just normal and naturally skinny.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM

I have a friend that is trying to be a runway model. I've known her for fourteen years. She's naturally thin. She eats healthy to maintain her body type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty