Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Some women are naturally thin.
I hope you can tell the difference between thin and skeletal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope you can tell the difference between thin and skeletal...
Of course...but it seems here in the U.S that there's a lot of backlash against thin women. Even models/actresses who are thin-NOT anorexic, just thin-are now referred to as such and it's become acceptable to say mean things about the way they look (but it isn't okay to say mean things about overweight women).

Some females are naturally thin, some naturally very thin, especially young girls who haven't completed puberty. Not everyone "fills out" either. Some of us would love to have a body shape like Beyonce or Kim K, but it's not in everyone's genetics (just like it isn't in everyone's genetics to have a shape like Kate Moss).

I realize that in this country (U.S), being overweight is the norm now and that's what being reflected.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Redirect Notice

Do you look anything like her? (she's not even the worst I could find). You telling me she eats three proper square meals a day? I'm pretty sure most will agree that is deliberately skinny.

You disregarded what I said. If you eat normally - the amount of calories your body needs to function normally, it doesn't matter if you're thin, if it's natural. Can you not make a distinction between natural thinness and starvation?

I suppose the concentrate camp look is in this season.
Blonde in the white bikini? She looks fine. You can't tell anything about her health from that picture and I've personally known many young women who look similarly and have no health issues whatsoever.

And yeah, I look similar. Fact is, you can't tell someone's health just by their size unless they are severely ill (like a 70lb woman or a 300lb woman). My BMI is "underweight". Always has been and I've never had any related health issues. Here's another photo, in which I think I look a bit thinner than usual (I blame the fact that the dress didn't fit)

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/evilkowsrus/edit2.jpg (broken link)

If you or other skinny-bashers saw that picture without context, I'd bet you would be raging about eating disorders, unrealistic beauty standards, and skeletal models. You see what you want to see. The fact remains, naturally thin women exist and you can't look at a picture know anything about their health.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM

The photo you posted, I think that's fine, but you really think the photo I did was? I googled 'anorexic models' to get that photo and to be honest, if you think that is okay I'm a bit worried about you. I'm sure you don't want people worrying or imposing their biased opinions on you though.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Most individuals that are critics to fashion models wouldn't skip a heartbeat to get into bed/date with one if the chance was there. And, I'm sure that very same individual isn't anything worth looking at either. Most individuals that critique the fashion look, are at the other side of the spectrum; fat and also "undesirable".

Trimac, you're a bit worried about unexepctedpersonusername and yet, you don't even know her? Furthermore, she even told you that her health has never been an issue? Are you worried about every single person you see? Because, I guarantee you that there are people in the world that have much dire health conditions than her or any other model. I suppose, smoking/drinking/sedentary lifestyle is okay? But, because it's your opinion and something you want to be judgmental about because, you know nothing about it, and don't do it, as opposed to drinking/smoking/being lazy, it's okay to judge and 'worry'. And by worry, I just mean judge.

Quote:
I'm sure you don't want people worrying or imposing their biased opinions on you though.
Then why do you do it?

So, in that context - I guess television shows about eating or over-consumpion is okay? Television ads encouraging drinking? Reality shows that depict substandard behavior?

Quote:
Many will remain this way their entire life, and many don't even make it to 30 because they die from anorexia.
That's laughable. Let's go look up model-aneroxia related deaths before 30 data. Everyone is a statistician here....

Trimac, it's one thing to state facts (you aren't stating any). It's another to voice an opinion. But, forcing your opinion on other people is ugly by nature.

Anyways, I could turn anything ugly. Just find extremes of something and make a generalization about the entire topic of 'something' I looked up. Trimac, you seem to know nothing about modeling, apart from sweeping generalizations from google, your own opinion and maybe a show from Oprah.'

Point is Trimac, your arguments aren't fair. They aren't fair because no matter what anyone else's opinion is, you shoot it down in favor of your own. An opinion of yours that is based off sweeping generalizations. Who can argue against that?

Edit: I made a sweeping generalization of my own (as importer pointed out). Should I say that, those that judge based on very little information usually overlook their own flaws.

Last edited by td333; 01-21-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Most individuals that are critics to fashion models wouldn't skip a heartbeat to get into bed/date with one if the chance was there. And, I'm sure that very same individual isn't anything worth looking at either. Most individuals that critique the fashion look, are at the other side of the spectrum; fat and also "undesirable".
I don't consider myself fat (if anything, I'm considered underweight based on numbers/formulas), but I've voiced my opinion on model weights before on C-D. These days I think the models are looking a bit heavier...similar to the late 80s/early 90s.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Trimac, you're a bit worried about unexepctedpersonusername and yet, you don't even know her? Furthermore, she even told you that her health has never been an issue? Are you worried about every single person you see? Because, I guarantee you that there are people in the world that have much dire health conditions than her or any other model. I suppose, smoking/drinking/sedentary lifestyle is okay? But, because it's your opinion and something you want to be judgmental about because, you know nothing about it, and don't do it, as opposed to drinking/smoking/being lazy, it's okay to judge and 'worry'. And by worry, I just mean judge.

Then why do you do it?

So, in that context - I guess television shows about eating or over-consumpion is okay? Television ads encouraging drinking? Reality shows that depict substandard behavior?

That's laughable. Let's go look up model-aneroxia related deaths before 30 data. Everyone is a statistician here....

Trimac, it's one thing to state facts (you aren't stating any). It's another to voice an opinion. But, forcing your opinion on other people is ugly by nature.

Anyways, I could turn anything ugly. Just find extremes of something and make a generalization about the entire topic of 'something' I looked up. Trimac, you seem to know nothing about modeling, apart from sweeping generalizations from google, your own opinion and maybe a show from Oprah.'

Point is Trimac, your arguments aren't fair. They aren't fair because no matter what anyone else's opinion is, you shoot it down in favor of your own. An opinion of yours that is based off sweeping generalizations. Who can argue against that?
Someone who looks like the girl in the pic I posted is not healthy, unless they are freakishly skinny by nature. She'd fit in right in the slums of India where people are literally starving.

I don't know about UnexpectError's situation so I won't comment. All I'll say is that anyone who aspires to be as thin as the skinny models you see might just be on the start of the downward slope. Even if they do recover it's a strain on their systems.

No, I am not sexually attracted to skeletons. You're too self-important to accept that people really aren't, they're not just saying that because they're jealous of your perfect physiques.

I'm not even talking about overweight women. I already said that's unacceptable. It's not skinny vs fat. It's healthy vs unhealthy, fat or skinny.

I think you're afraid of people criticizing you because you've idealized that look. Well good for you. Unless you're on death's door no one will force you to eat. I hope you enjoy your salad for lunch, but don't get all crabby because you're hungry all the time.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Quote:

I don't know about UnexpectError's situation so I won't comment. All I'll say is that anyone who aspires to be as thin as the skinny models you see might just be on the start of the downward slope. Even if they do recover it's a strain on their systems.
Too late mate, because you already did...and continue to in that very sentence, as you imply indirectly.
Quote:
No, I am not sexually attracted to skeletons. You're too self-important to accept that people really aren't, they're not just saying that because they're jealous of your perfect physiques.
Are you directing this at me? If so, this shows a flaw in your arguments as you draw your facts from nothing and puts words into my mouth. Never said runway models have perfect physiques. I did say it's unfair that you judge someone based on a situation you know nothing about [yet you do anyways]. As you continue to make sweeping generalizations and judgements...

Quote:
I'm not even talking about overweight women. I already said that's unacceptable. It's not skinny vs fat. It's healthy vs unhealthy, fat or skinny.
Fair.

Quote:
I think you're afraid of people criticizing you because you've idealized that look. Well good for you. Unless you're on death's door no one will force you to eat. I hope you enjoy your salad for lunch, but don't get all crabby because you're hungry all the time.
Ok, I'm not seeing where this is coming from? I'm a guy and I'm into powerlifting.... so I am far from being underweight....

So, until you can deadlift 405, squat 405, bench press 265 @ 143 pounds... or ruck march 12 miles with 75 pounds of gear in under 3 hours, run two miles in under 11:40 and stay awake during long ops for more than 20 hours, get back to me.

And yes, I am hungry all the time despite eating +3000 calories a day.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
The photo you posted, I think that's fine, but you really think the photo I did was? I googled 'anorexic models' to get that photo and to be honest, if you think that is okay I'm a bit worried about you. I'm sure you don't want people worrying or imposing their biased opinions on you though.
So because you googled it, she must have an eating disorder? What about her looks ill to you? She isn't gaunt at all. Really, the only difference between her figure and mine is that hers is more straight up and down. And thats just a difference in shape, not weight.

Most of the shockingly thin model pictures that people pass around are photoshopped. I've seen a few sickly models on the runway, but the majority by far are normally slender. You don't have to find them attractive. That's not the point. So why all the hate?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
So because you googled it, she must have an eating disorder? What about her looks ill to you? She isn't gaunt at all. Really, the only difference between her figure and mine is that hers is more straight up and down. And thats just a difference in shape, not weight.

Most of the shockingly thin model pictures that people pass around are photoshopped. I've seen a few sickly models on the runway, but the majority by far are normally slender. You don't have to find them attractive. That's not the point. So why all the hate?
Photo-shopped? That's a gem. What about the videos?

If you truly are healthy than good for you. I'm just calling it as I see it. A very big percentage of those models do not look healthy to me, nor do I find their look attractive. Shame on the fashion people for encouraging that, but they should be smarter. The problem is that a lot of little girls still base all their self-worth and identity on being beautiful. Lots of intelligent girls who are pressured...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty