Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times

Advertisements

Seriously, it seems like everywhere I look people are wearing glasses nowadays and i find it hard to believe that everyone that does actually needs them. Maybe it has something to do with this whole "nerds are cool and sexy" thing that's in nowadays. I just find it odd and kinda sad because the people that I know that actually need glasses don't like wearing them out in public.

Does anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Seriously, it seems like everywhere I look people are wearing glasses nowadays and i find it hard to believe that everyone that does actually needs them. Maybe it has something to do with this whole "nerds are cool and sexy" thing that's in nowadays. I just find it odd and kinda sad because the people that I know that actually need glasses don't like wearing them out in public.

I wear my glasses more now. For 13 years I would wear only my contacts, but as I've gotten older it's just easier to throw on my glasses than to worry about my contacts. I also no longer have to carry eye drops, extra contact solution, my contacts case, and my glasses just in case. The only thing I dislike is the fogging when I go from outside to inside in the winter.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I wear my glasses more now. For 13 years I would wear only my contacts, but as I've gotten older it's just easier to throw on my glasses than to worry about my contacts. I also no longer have to carry eye drops, extra contact solution, my contacts case, and my glasses just in case. The only thing I dislike is the fogging when I go from outside to inside in the winter.
The irony of this is that my sister has been more careless with her glasses than with her contacts. I think she's lost 1 or 2 pairs of glasses but she has never lost a contact lens at least to my knowledge.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
I've had friends with perfect eyesight express their jealousy that I "got to" wear glasses. Yes, what a privilege to be essentially blind without delicate glasses or contacts that could easily be compromised, leaving me as helpless as a toddler.

I think that glasses have become more accepted in fashion and with that a wide variety of frames have become available. Because of this, more people with only minor eyesight problems seek out glasses while before they would have carried on without them.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:

I would say that wearing glasses nowadays is definitely a trend. Mostly people in the younger crowd. Even rappers nowadays like to sport some glasses every now and then (and I don't mean shades).

http://www.cooliohigh.com/wp-content...yneglasses.jpg

Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I think that glasses have become more accepted in fashion and with that a wide variety of frames have become available. Because of this, more people with only minor eyesight problems seek out glasses while before they would have carried on without them.
That's the sad part to me. Wearing glasses when they don't really need to will just screw up their eyesight very fast.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I have to wear glasses after wearing contacts for years and sleeping with them.

The reason is because wearing contacts can cause angiogenesis,or blood vessels to grow on your cornea because the cornea needs O2. Your corneas can't get O2 with contacts on because contacts block O2 from reaching the corneas. Angiogenesis can cause blindness.

That why I thing some wear glasses.

Other than that,those big glasses with the big rim seem to be in because I see everyone with them on.
They were popularized by hipsters.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Quote:
That's the sad part to me. Wearing glasses when they don't really need to will just screw up their eyesight very fast.
Will it? I've often wondered if I had been born in the middle ages would I have been doomed to huddling in a corner, jumping at every blurry object that approaches me or would my nearsightedness be less severe if I had never worn glasses?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I've been a four eyes since I was 15...I did try contacts briefly but I got tired of red eyes...If I save up I may consider laser surgery, although I know there are risks. I don't mind wearing glasses though - I forget they're there (so much so that sometimes I'm looking for my glasses when I'm wearing them! Yep, no joke!). I guess they do suit my nerdy, bookish demeanor.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Will it? I've often wondered if I had been born in the middle ages would I have been doomed to huddling in a corner, jumping at every blurry object that approaches me or would my nearsightedness be less severe if I had never worn glasses?
I wonder that too.
But I thing modern things like staring at Tv and computer screens might have contributed to our eyesight problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty