Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Do you remember these? My mom would NOT let me get one of these shirts:

Generra Hypercolor Commercial - YouTube
Did she think it contained harmful chemicals?

It looks very faddish haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I like it all. I'm pretty open to fashion and don't tend to follow trends unless I really like them. I just wear what I want when I'm in the mood for it. I wish early 90s fashion would make a comeback as it seems hard to find things that were popular back then.

The only things I really don't like are really pointy heels and ponchos.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Did she think it contained harmful chemicals?

It looks very faddish haha.
I am sure she thought it encouraged unnecessary attention, and she has always hated logos. But I think she was more scared of the people touching you to make the shirt change colors. :P

Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Sure it is...for me at least. Horse hide, Kydex lined and all!
I certainly don't own any clothing like that. I dress more like Pauly D and Vinny from Jersey Shore. I'm not a tool, but I wear similar clothes, jewelry, shoes, and shades.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Fashion is really not all that different from the late 90s, I think formal menswear has changed the most, with the popularity of Mad Men 60's style suits and ties now and the 90s had the wideset somewhat more colorful ties. Also the hipster style that's a throwback to to the 60s like Johnny Depp wasn't all that popular then, you'd see hipster type guys more in Chandler/Charlie Sheen type bowling shirts.

I like the formal styles now but I miss in the 90s when girls would wear cute midriff baring tops way more than they do now. Hairstyles for men are probably better now. Back then you had the parted down the middle style that every guy wore or the George Clooney Caesar cut. Now there's the fauxhawk and Jersey Shore style blowout but that's dying off and I think most guys have more tasteful conservative styles or the rockerish layer cut I currently sport.
I agree with your comments about mens clothes. It looks like there is a very conservative movement in mens formal wear. Gone are the weird earthy tone suits, as well as double breasted ones with the ridiculous lapels. I am not a fan of skinny ties, but I would take them over loud themed ties any day of the week.

I am in the process of planning my wedding and looking back at my grandparents wedding from the early 1950s and my parents wedding from the early 1980s, I fee that the style (my style at least) is 100% more geared towards the 1950s wedding. My grandfather was wearing a nice morning suit and my grandmother a very Kate Middleton like wedding dress. My father on the other hand was wearing a light grey tux with the ruffles, and my mother was wearing some weird wedding hat.

I am however jealous that my grandfather was able to get a hold of a double breasted vest for his morning suit. Those, unfortunately don't exist anymore.

As for early 2000s fashions, I am glad ripped jeans are out of style. Shopping for normal clothes is much easier. I do however miss ribbed turtleneck and mock turtleneck sweaters. I though it was always a very clean look with or without a jacket. I don't particularly care for the zipper sweaters that have replaced them. Adding a zipper takes out a bit of formality, IMO.

I look at fashion like architecture. In New England you have houses built in the 1700s that still look like they fit and have style, yet you have modern homes from the 1950-1990s that were trendy for the time but now look ridiculous and dated.

I do think that we are going to look back and find the modern college girl dress code to be a bit ridiculous. Yoga pants, white tshirt, north face, and ugg boots.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I certainly don't own any clothing like that. I dress more like Pauly D and Vinny from Jersey Shore. I'm not a tool, but I wear similar clothes, jewelry, shoes, and shades.
Ugh, that means you probably are a big fan of Ed Hardy or Affliction. You'll regret that look in a few years.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Ugh, that means you probably are a big fan of Ed Hardy or Affliction. You'll regret that look in a few years.
Nope. I don't wear either of those brands. I like wearing fitted T shirts (usually plain colors because they look better with my jewelry), fitted hats (on rare occasions), aviator sunglasses, white Nike/Jordan shoes, and designer jeans.

Like I said, I'm not a tool.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Beginning around 1996, peaking in about 1999, and continuing through about 2002 (perhaps even 2007-2008 among the younger cohort), I remember a rise in "brand consciousness" among local teenagers. This doesn't seem to exist today. If something had a brand name clearly printed on it, and that brand happened to be "approved", it was automatically "cool" to wear it. The approved list of brands included a medley of "preppy" brands (Abercrombie & Fitch, American Eagle), "mainstream" brands popular both in the suburbs and urban environments (Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren), "surfer" and "skater" brands (Billabong, JNCO, Nautica, etc.), as well as names that were unashamedly "hood" (FUBU was the main one, but also Avirex, Pure Playaz, etc.). Keep in mind this was an all-white middle school.

On the other hand, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing Wrangler, Rustler, or Basic Editions.

To fit in to both local standards and my family's budget, I shopped at T.J. Maxx, where I was complimented on my $30 or $40 Tommy Hilfiger jeans and $20 RL Polo jacket. Heck, I even got an Ecko shirt for $3 there. Lasted like seven years, too.

(Granted, I'll admit that not much has changed fashion-wise since then, although ridiculously baggy jeans - which were "in" at that time both for young males and even females - are passe.)
I was in high school 2005-2009 and there was still some "brand consciousness", especially with American Eagle and Abercrombie and Fitch being the most popular.

I wore Wrangler carpenter jeans from late 90s right through high school. Maybe not the "sexiest", but they were comfortable. I still own a couple pairs, but I only wear them once in a while, not almost everyday like I used to.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Definitely from today. I'm not too crazy about most of today's culture but fashion-wise today is pretty good, aside from all the tattoos and piercings.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
The ''00' 10s'' have no character name IMO because ''culture'' has become homogenized on every level.

What passes for basic clothing for women to purchase and wear has become crap made of the chintziest cloth, toxic dyes, shoddy sewing, and ridiculous styling.

None of it holds up to regular wash and wear after a year. What adult working woman wants to wear jeans that fall below the navel and bunch up under our bellies?

Or cheap rayon printed tops with plunging necklines, almost none existent sleeves, and tight clingy mid sections that accentuate the least flattering part of our ''waistlines''?

The ''styles'' look like something designed for little ''baby dolls'' with sequins and gaudy, gloomy obnoxious flower prints. Hideous. Who thinks this crap up?

I'll take classic clothing or even ''preppy'' over this wear fare. And I do, wearing comfortable, cotton blend tops and slacks, sweaters and jackets.

Comfortable, colorful, or natural hues that fit my mood and the ''baby doll'' look be damned.

I put together my own ''style'' from consignment shops and Good Will where I find vintage clothing made from ''woven'' not fabricated cloth and in styles that transcend any decade.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 02-22-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty