Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I think fashion for women these days is a bit more easy on the eye in some ways, but I liked how fashion was actually a bit more unisex in the 90s than now. Women didn't all feel the need to look 'sexy' with skin-tight jeans, revealing tops, short shorts showing their butt-cheeks (I saw this the other day). Sure you had mini-skirts, revealing dresses.etc, but it didn't seem like women wore them all the time, except for the mini-skirts. I think hairstyles of today, particularly the late 00s, are better though. I prefer wavy hair than dead straight hair in general, and some of the early 90s cuts were a bit fair out, especially linked the super curled styles.

For men fashion hasn't changed too much, except hairstyles. Some hairstyles just scream 90s, even what the Backstreet Boys wore. There are cuts which are just so 90s. In other ways fashion, baggy shorts and T-shirts, sneakers.etc are still the same as before. Long hair was more prevalent for boys/men in the 90s, particularly due to grunge/metal...now it seems a sub-cultural thing. In the early 90s men still wore shorter shorts - they were already dying out but there were some 80s styles still around. Leather jackets had died out, and flannel/tartan was in.

Jeans were baggier and more uni-sex for both in the early 90s...becoming more what they are now in the 00s. I noticed the 'gym' look was popular for women in the late 90s.

Is it just me or does it seem skirts are less popular than shorts for girls now? Short skirts I mean.

Women in general dressed more casual, makeup wasn't quite as ubiquitous, and hair removal wasn't the obessession it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,979 times
I'm really tired right now so excuse me if my post doesn't sound right.

I was just a little child in the the 90s so I don't remember what people wore then. But judging from the TV shows I've seen from that time period, the clothes people wore were too loud and outlandish for me. There were a lot of bright neon colors and baggy, oversized clothes. I was watching Clarissa from Nickelodeon and noticed some of characters tended to mix match their clothes (meaning they wore two or three patterns that didn't match). But I think this was more of an early 1990s thing. I remember in the late 1990s, a lot of younger women showed off their belly buttons and wore shirts that were too short to intentionally do this. There were also many who wore tom boy looking shorts/pants. Pants on teen boys tended to be baggy. Stripped shirts were also common as were the backwards baseball cap. Dresses on women tended to be more simple looking. They were long but usually went straight down. Kind of like 1920s Flapper dresses but longer. But you're right about 1990s fashion being unisex. There wasn't as much of a clear division in acceptable clothing for boys and girls.

For hairstlyes in the 1990s, I remember a lot of women had their hair cut short with little spikes in it. The frosted look was popular on both genders. Guy Fire (wrong name?) on the Food channel looks like he's from 1997. lol

Sunglasses: a lot of people wore small, thin, colored lens styled sunglasses.

Overall, anything wacky and "cool" looking seemed to be popular in the 1990s up until the early 2000s. But at the same time, fashion trends varied to be very simple.

Fast forward to 2012, women and girls seem to wear dresses and skirts more and look more feminine. Men appear to be a bit more clean cut than they did back then. 1940s-1960s fashion has made a come back to a certain degree since around 2008/2009 ish, something I'm happy to notice. I think people nowadays put more emphasis on their appearance than they did 15-20 years ago.

So, far I'm liking the current fashion trends better than 1990s fashion.

*I'm going to add more later on but I'd better get some sleep.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-02-2012 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
My fashion preference is whatever I feel like wearing that day as long as it covers all pertinant parts, is comfortable, weather and situation appropriate along with comfortable shoes. I wear jeans, pull on pants, skirts, dresses, capris, boots, flats, sandals.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
My nostalgic side wants to lean toward the 90s, but...

Granted, a couple of those look good to me. I never watched the show enough to remember their names, but the two girls on the left I think look totally passable. And then there's this, but I wouldn't say this was exactly the norm:

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I'm really tired right now so excuse me if my post doesn't sound right.

I was just a little child in the the 90s so I don't remember what people wore then. But judging from the TV shows I've seen from that time period, the clothes people wore were too loud and outlandish for me. There were a lot of bright neon colors and baggy, oversized clothes. I was watching Clarissa from Nickelodeon and noticed some of characters tended to mix match their clothes (meaning they wore two or three patterns that didn't match). But I think this was more of an early 1990s thing. I remember in the late 1990s, a lot of younger women showed off their belly buttons and wore shirts that were too short to intentionally do this. There were also many who wore tom boy looking shorts/pants. Pants on teen boys tended to be baggy. Stripped shirts were also common as were the backwards baseball cap. Dresses on women tended to be more simple looking. They were long but usually went straight down. Kind of like 1920s Flapper dresses but longer. But you're right about 1990s fashion being unisex. There wasn't as much of a clear division in acceptable clothing for boys and girls.

For hairstlyes in the 1990s, I remember a lot of women had their hair cut short with little spikes in it. The frosted look was popular on both genders. Guy Fire (wrong name?) on the Food channel looks like he's from 1997. lol

Sunglasses: a lot of people wore small, thin, colored lens styled sunglasses.

Overall, anything wacky and "cool" looking seemed to be popular in the 1990s up until the early 2000s. But at the same time, fashion trends varied to be very simple.

Fast forward to 2012, women and girls seem to wear dresses and skirts more and look more feminine. Men appear to be a bit more clean cut than they did back then. 1940s-1960s fashion has made a come back to a certain degree since around 2008/2009 ish, something I'm happy to notice. I think people nowadays put more emphasis on their appearance than they did 15-20 years ago.

So, far I'm liking the current fashion trends better than 1990s fashion.

*I'm going to add more later on but I'd better get some sleep.

That's surprising given your name, lol.

I notice these days a lot of women wear dresses and heels out clubbing, which didn't seem so prevalent back in the 90s. Heels don't really seem to fit in with electronic dance music to me...idk it's weird in that way.

I'm glad the baggy jeans phase of the early 00s has passed through. Some of the jeans back then were just ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
My nostalgic side wants to lean toward the 90s, but...

Granted, a couple of those look good to me. I never watched the show enough to remember their names, but the two girls on the left I think look totally passable. And then there's this, but I wouldn't say this was exactly the norm:

They look like a bunch of clowns!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Retina-searing clowns.

I was in high school during the mid 90s, and I remember girls wearing a lot of tapered jeans and those tan Eastland shoes with the red soles that looked like pencil erasers. Like these:

http://www.shoesopia.com/shop/img/1/488.jpg

Along with flannel/plaid/button front shirts that could just as easily have belonged to their brothers, always tucked in. Jeans were designed to sit higher on the hips, sometimes a bit too high, in my opinion. I had a silk shirt briefly. TERRIBLE idea for a guy who sweats easily and lives in Tennessee. Then there's the late 90s, Dawson's Creek, Rachel Leigh Cook, Scream, etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go kick a hacky sack while listening to Blind Melon and drinking Surge.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM
s06

105 posts, read 256,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go kick a hacky sack while listening to Blind Melon and drinking Surge.
Oh, yeah!

Back in the 90s, I liked wearing baggy clothes with short hair. However, I wasn't happy with how adults looked at and spoke to me (my mother didn't want me to wear boy's clothes; women stared at me whenever I entered restrooms, and one mistook me for a boy and kicked me out; and, I think, a few people mistook me for a homeless person whenever I sat outside).

So, I like wearing current styles, now, and being recognized as a woman: v-neck t-shirts and blouses; belts worn on the outside, around my waist; dark, bootcut jeans; fitted jackets and blazers, etc.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
I don't know the difference between fashion in the '90s, the '00s and today.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:07 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Nothing's changed since 1998 in the uk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty