Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,984 times

Advertisements

I had my ears pierced for my 12th birthday and years later I had a third piercing in one of the ears. I like the way it looked and would use a tiny gold or diamond stud in the ear that was double pierced but I have since let it close up.

Has anyone had any problems with their navel piercing healing or getting infections? A couple of my friends kept getting either infections or they wouldn't heal completely (I think because of irritation from clothing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
I had my ears pierced for my 12th birthday and years later I had a third piercing in one of the ears. I like the way it looked and would use a tiny gold or diamond stud in the ear that was double pierced but I have since let it close up.

Has anyone had any problems with their navel piercing healing or getting infections? A couple of my friends kept getting either infections or they wouldn't heal completely (I think because of irritation from clothing).
I would apply saline solution to mine for the first few months after initially getting it. Around a year after getting my belly piercing, though, I wore a dangly piece of jewelry with a midriff shirt and accidentally got the piercing caught on something. It partially tore the skin and I ended up taking it out for a good while. I put Neosporin on my navel for around a month and it healed up.

I got it re-pierced around a year later and I'm just very careful with it now. If I'm going to be doing a lot of moving around (i.e. exercising, yardwork, cleaning), then I won't wear anything dangly. When I wear midriff shirts, I'm just extra careful with not putting my navel up against anything that my jewelry might get caught on.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,950 times
Just my ears; actually I skipped the whole "one ear only" thing that guys used to do and once it became common for guys to get both pierced, I thought it looked cool and had them done. Still wear them every day.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,957,000 times
2 in each ear... got the first ones when I was 4 or 5, and the second set at 13ish. I don't use the second hole very often though. I had my belly button pierced 3 times! First at 16... my body rejected it. I was told it may be because I was still growing. Tried again at 18 and 23... same thing. I finally gave up. Wasn't meant to be.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post

Mine got infected about a year after I had it pierced. It looked pretty gnarly and I took it out one night because it was irritating me. The next morning it had partially closed over and, well, I took care of that. Hurt like heck but I started soaking the area in a sea salt and warm water mixture twice a day and it healed completely in a couple weeks.

The only problem I've had since then is from my metal allergy. The bars are almost always surgical steel but the charms are often cheap stuff that makes me break out in a rash. I've had to switch to plastic because of it.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM

914 posts, read 1,807,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
A girl I'm seeing at the moment has more than one. If you have piercing's, what motivates you to get them? is it often difficult to stop at one? Just interested in a discussion on the subject.

I have my left nipple, two in my left ear, one in the right ear, and my bottom right lip.

I have piercings because I love them and its a beautiful form of expression. They aren't nearly as addicting as tattoos.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
In my opinion, people who are obsessed with piercings and tattoos are either attention whores, or are trying to gain some sort of acceptance. Maybe something is missing in thier lives that they need to express themselves thru body art. Maybe they were neglected as children. The friends that I do have that are obsessed with tattoos tend to have insecurity and self esteem issues.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM

914 posts, read 1,807,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
In my opinion, people who are obsessed with piercings and tattoos are either attention whores, or are trying to gain some sort of acceptance. Maybe something is missing in thier lives that they need to express themselves thru body art. Maybe they were neglected as children. The friends that I do have that are obsessed with tattoos tend to have insecurity and self esteem issues.

Well this is a very saddening assumption. I do not have tattoos or piercings for attention, nor do I have them because of some rocky past. I have them because they're beautiful. They express me and I want to look at them all day, everyday. I have piercings because they are also beautiful.

There's a lot to say about someone who has tattoo's. They're open. Expressive. Willing. I fit the mold.

When a mother's son dies and she gets his birthdate tattooed on her, is she starving for attention or have self esteem issues. Absolutely not. It's a memory. Its an experience. It's love.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,146,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Wow. Way to lump all of us well-adjusted, normally-functioning people into a subgroup with actual deviants.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Well this is a very saddening assumption. I do not have tattoos or piercings for attention, nor do I have them because of some rocky past. I have them because they're beautiful. They express me and I want to look at them all day, everyday. I have piercings because they are also beautiful.

There's a lot to say about someone who has tattoo's. They're open. Expressive. Willing. I fit the mold.

When a mother's son dies and she gets his birthdate tattooed on her, is she starving for attention or have self esteem issues. Absolutely not. It's a memory. Its an experience. It's love.
Maybe I'm just a bit too personal to advertise a family members DOB or expiration date with ink on my body. That is a memory that I'd rather have in my head or in a photo album rather than on my body for the world to see as if it's any of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty