Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM

260 posts, read 337,918 times

Advertisements

I only have my ears pierced. I had them done when I was 8 at the doctor's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Wow. Way to lump all of us well-adjusted, normally-functioning people into a subgroup with actual deviants.
Who i'm talking about are the people who are over the top with it. Those who go and pierce their eybrow/lips/ears/nose/etc... Or those who get pointless tattoos of a dragon fighting a lion or some crap like that just because. Its sad when I see a young person get some silly tattoo just because they thought it was a cool thing to do without thinking about how that would look 20yrs down the line when you're pushing 40 and have betty boop tattooed on your chest.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,738,038 times
some people are addicted to the pain/sensation, the anticipation of it. similar to going on a roller coaster -- you know it's going to be scary as hell but you still want to do it. That's how I would describe it for myself. The other reason is I just generally like the looks of the piercings. Weird how a standard lobe piercing is considered 'acceptable' but a nose ring or a lip ring isn't. *shrugs*

As for mine:

had nose pierced as a teen, twice. It didn't take either time....currently have: 'standard' lobe piercings, tongue & belly button. upper ear cartilage piercing in one ear. Considering an industrial and a snug but a bit apprehensive about the pain factors of each.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:21 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I would apply saline solution to mine for the first few months after initially getting it. Around a year after getting my belly piercing, though, I wore a dangly piece of jewelry with a midriff shirt and accidentally got the piercing caught on something. It partially tore the skin and I ended up taking it out for a good while. I put Neosporin on my navel for around a month and it healed up.

I got it re-pierced around a year later and I'm just very careful with it now. If I'm going to be doing a lot of moving around (i.e. exercising, yardwork, cleaning), then I won't wear anything dangly. When I wear midriff shirts, I'm just extra careful with not putting my navel up against anything that my jewelry might get caught on.
Ouch! I'll pass this info on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
2 in each ear... got the first ones when I was 4 or 5, and the second set at 13ish. I don't use the second hole very often though. I had my belly button pierced 3 times! First at 16... my body rejected it. I was told it may be because I was still growing. Tried again at 18 and 23... same thing. I finally gave up. Wasn't meant to be.
This is exactly what is happening to one of my friends. She's decided to let her's grow in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Mine got infected about a year after I had it pierced. It looked pretty gnarly and I took it out one night because it was irritating me. The next morning it had partially closed over and, well, I took care of that. Hurt like heck but I started soaking the area in a sea salt and warm water mixture twice a day and it healed completely in a couple weeks.

The only problem I've had since then is from my metal allergy. The bars are almost always surgical steel but the charms are often cheap stuff that makes me break out in a rash. I've had to switch to plastic because of it.
Sea salt is a great natural antiseptic and really aids in healing. It's worked for me in the past and glad it helped you too.

I've developed allergies to 10K jewelry and to cheap metals also and always wear surgical steel bars (studs) in my ears. You might want to try this trick someone told me about. Try coating the cheaper charms with a few coats of clear nail polish. You have to reapply once in awhile. It worked for me with bracelets. No more rashes.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Who i'm talking about are the people who are over the top with it. Those who go and pierce their eybrow/lips/ears/nose/etc... Or those who get pointless tattoos of a dragon fighting a lion or some crap like that just because. Its sad when I see a young person get some silly tattoo just because they thought it was a cool thing to do without thinking about how that would look 20yrs down the line when you're pushing 40 and have betty boop tattooed on your chest.
What you see as a 'pointless' tattoo may actually mean something to the person who has it.

Regardless, I've known plenty of people who just walked into a parlor, picked something off the wall and had it tattooed on them without any thought, but those people are FAR different than those of us who actually put thought into our work. My tattoos are all custom, original and well done. I don't appreciate being put into the same category as some girl who got a butterfly on her shoulder during spring break.

As for the OP, I've had my septum pierced, my lip pierced in three different places, my tongue pierced twice, an industrial in my left ear, conch in my right, ears stretched to 1/2" and both my nipples pierced very briefly.

Now, I have no piercings because I simply got sick of taking care of them.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 AM

2,037 posts, read 3,354,610 times
I got my ears pierced in the doctor's office when i was around 12. Just always knew i would, had to!

Then i got second holes put in each lobe when i was around 20, at a jewelry store. One healed shut eventually when i quit putting in 4 earrings all the time. I still usually wear 3.

Got my nostril pierced for my 42nd birthday... just had been wanting a small diamond stud in it for a couple yrs and went for it. I had gotten a tattoo a couple yrs before, and saw piercings etc. in the shop and got interested. (I do love the anticipation, pain, rush, adreniline etc. afterwards). After the stud healed, i got the diamond, and now i'm going to switch it to a small, gold or silver hoop.

A couple yrs after that i got my brow pierced - like longways w/a small bar. I LOVED it. But it just always stayed "pink." It seemed healed, but it got on my nerves becuz i like to scrub my face and i never could over top of it... it had that tiny bit of soreness, i mean like a yr later. I finally had my sis take it out and i felt freeee! lol

I want one or two microdermals BADLY. I have 5 tattoos, and i'd love one inside one of my tats, or even an anti-eyebrow one. I like facial jewelry. I think people can do what they wanna do with their bodies and faces - it's their choice... doesnt matter if we like it or agree.

If people are willing to get anesthesia and major plastic surgery and - to me half the time come out looking worse (unless they were deformed), or at least totally like someone else - then what the hell is wrong with getting tats and piercings? JMHO

Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,156,263 times
I got my first ear piercings at age 4, I believe. I remember begging my mom and she had the doctor do them. The other 4 holes I got at age 12 at the mall, and I had them done unevenly cuz I thought it was cool - 5 in the left ear, 3 in the right ear. However, over the next few years the 3rd holes on both ears kept infected so I let them close. I now have 4 holes in my left ear and 2 in my right.

I also had my nipples pierced, but I let them close up. I was having surgery and all piercings had to be removed. By the time I healed, I was facing another surgery and wouldn't be allowed to have my piercings in then either. So I just let it go and the holes closed up.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,156,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
What you see as a 'pointless' tattoo may actually mean something to the person who has it.

I have many tattoos and all have some meaning to them. To the poster who originally question this, losing my child was the worst moment of my life. Having two tattoos in her memory is very meaningful to me.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
A girl I'm seeing at the moment has more than one. If you have piercing's, what motivates you to get them? is it often difficult to stop at one? Just interested in a discussion on the subject.

Ehh...

I had my ears done at 10 in a salon. At 18 I pierced them again by hand on my lunchbreak at a record store just to freak my coworker out.
I ended up taking out the doubles for work reasons and never got anymore because of:

-work
-friends having issues with them (snags,scars, infections)
-skank factor - tounge/bellybutton = stripper wannabe (hush up now ya'll know the type I am talking about)
-trendfire burned up and out (makes me think of the 90s or ICP..lol)

I have pierced other people though because they get addicted to it and don't want to go in a pay a professional piercer...or just being bored. LOL
I like piercing guys the best. They are such babies.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Has anyone ever had a septum piercing? It's one that I've never understood the appeal of. They look so terribly unattractive and make people look like some kind of farm animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty