Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm I lived in Mexico City for a short time, and it was pretty common for a lot of my upper middle class friends to get rhinoplasty in high school. I noticed the same penchant for plastic surgery in Korea...so I wouldn't doubt the same thing's happening in Brazil.

In a lot of these countries, there are people who felt "beauty" was out of their reach...but now they have the money and advances in facial plastic surgery...watch out world! I understand in the middle east it is pretty big, as well: Lebanon, Iran etc...

No WAY American compares unless you live in Beverly Hills or something, where I understand "anglicizing" rhinoplasty is common. ** OMG I finished reading the comment. You realize Venezuela is NOTORIOUS for plastic surgery? Travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
South America. I know many Brazilians and Columbians who have gotten surgery before the age of 14, which is completely unacceptable in the US.
I was referring to western Europe / the UK, not South America. Why do I get the impression that you've actually never met a Brazilian or a Colombian in your life? Those are two very different countries.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
This is just pure generalizing and among white American upper middle class women there is plenty of plastic surgery too.

It's not "anglicizing". If Latins have a Euro fascination it's for Spain or Italy...European countries where our ancestors come from. This thread has become insulting towards Latin people from accusations of South America being the most superficial place in the world to Latins getting plastic surgery to look more "anglo".

I believe if there is plastic surgery or certain procedures such as boobs jobs they are disqualified from running to be Miss Universe.

I live in Boston, a cold puritan city and I see a poorly executed boob job at least once a week. Plastic surgery is everywhere in the US.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
By the way, if Latin women getting nose jobs is their attempt to look more anglo does that mean when "white" women get boob jobs and Brazilian Butt lifts they are trying to look more exotic/latin?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This is just pure generalizing and among white American upper middle class women there is plenty of plastic surgery too.

It's not "anglicizing". If Latins have a Euro fascination it's for Spain or Italy...European countries where our ancestors come from. This thread has become insulting towards Latin people from accusations of South America being the most superficial place in the world to Latins getting plastic surgery to look more "anglo".

I believe if there is plastic surgery or certain procedures such as boobs jobs they are disqualified from running to be Miss Universe.

I live in Boston, a cold puritan city and I see a poorly executed boob job at least once a week. Plastic surgery is everywhere in the US.
There's a lot of generalising about other countries on this forum and in the US in general. That's why I sometimes like to generalise back...and they don't like it at all. Lots of assumptions about countries that people have most likely only seen on television.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
By the way, if Latin women getting nose jobs is their attempt to look more anglo does that mean when "white" women get boob jobs and Brazilian Butt lifts they are trying to look more exotic/latin?
Yes. That is also why they ge botox to get fuller lips. And of course tanning.

There are a lot of surgeries that could count as looking more "anglo" i.e. all the Jewish and Iranian people getting nose jobs. And Asians getting eye lid surgery.

No one calls out "white" people for doing it since white culture dominates and it is isn't up for criticism or discussion.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes. That is also why they ge botox to get fuller lips. And of course tanning.

There are a lot of surgeries that could count as looking more "anglo" i.e. all the Jewish and Iranian people getting nose jobs. And Asians getting eye lid surgery.

No one calls out "white" people for doing it since white culture dominates and it is isn't up for criticism or discussion.
What is white culture? No such thing.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
What is white culture? No such thing.
I am assuming you are white. There isn't "one thing" that all white people do or anything like that. But if you live in the US or the "western world." Things are defined by what mainstream white americans (and europeans) do. The standard of beauty, activities and so on. Even though people of color make up a good portion of the US's population, all are pretty invisible in mainstream culture, and if they are visible, it is typically in some sort of stereotypical way. If you look at which "ethnic" people are defined as "attractive," it is typically people with "whiter" features. Whether you are black, latino, or asian.

For example, if you consider the ideal body type? In the 80s and 90s it was defined as something similar to Pamela Anderson. Skinny with big boobs.

Around 15 years ago, "curvy" was in, and bigger butts and wider hips were popular. Obviously all sorts of women had this body type for a long time, but generally speaking, black women (and other women) with this shape were just considered "fat" or not mainstream attractive. Hence, Sir Mixalot's "Baby Got Back" song, he wasn't seeing the women he liked represented on TV and in the media.

Suddenly J.Lo came around, and the body type became "hot" and started getting celebrated. J.Lo is of course Puerto Rican, but Puerto Ricans are varied in appearance. Some look like J.Lo, some look like Zoe Saldana, and some look like Kelly Rowland. J.Lo is on the "more european" looking end of Puerto Rican. ANd notice, the more popular she got, the lighter her hair got. She when from chocolate brown to blonde.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:27 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I do think the Uk isn't as concerned with outward appearance,but I'm going with what I see on Tv.
I see ordinary people from England on Tv with imperfections all the time.
However, I see people making fun of people from England,esp their looks.
I hear the nasty teeth and ugly faces jokes all the time.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Uhhh..no LOL at least in America the guy legally has to stick w/ women over 18... Caribbean, African, French, Spanish (from Spain...but probably Latin American men, as well), Italian and...It isn't worth it to continue. They're all pretty much on equal footing when it comes to cheating with younger women.

I was surprised to find out how WEALTHY a lot of supermodels are. I guess it pays to be beautiful. I think if you're close to the ideal of beauty, but missing it by "a nose" so to speak, it makes sense to get plastic surgery.

Although the husband may cheat on you...better to get cheated on by a guy with $$.
That last sentence is true.
Men who are poor cheat too.
Maybe its just best marry a 65 year old man.
At least you don't have worry about him cheating with a younger woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty