Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Kind of. It's more of a women's (er, teen's) lifestyle magazine, and that lifestyle happens to include some fashion. But a lot of fashion magazines are like that, most include at least some lifestyle type stories, such as articles about exercise, relationships, recipes, real women, and celebrities.
Yeah, I stopped purchasing Cosmo by my senior year of high school. I primarily liked the mag for Scavullo's covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Very interesting replies so far ladies. I have always been curious about how influential those fashion magazines really are on today's modern women.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah, I stopped purchasing Cosmo by my senior year of high school. I primarily liked the mag for Scavullo's covers.
I love Scavullo too! I still know one women who only purchase Cosmos so they can grab the sex tip articles. They scan them all and create a novelty "sex tips" book to give at a bridal shower as a gag gift.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
I hadn't read a fashion magazine in years until I picked one up last February. My SO and I had a good laugh over the "blow his mind" sex tips. I also found it interesting that every month, magazines will share the 'secrets to snagging that guy'. Well, if you haven't learned it in Nov. Dec. and January, odds are, you're not going to 'snag that guy'. LOL. I was a fashion mag junkie when I was in junior high and highschool. It's funny that now that I'm of that age (or actually older than) the women they're targeting- I don't find any of that info useful. Not only that, but you're just purchasing a big stack glossy advertisements. I never realized it in the past but every other page of the magazines are just ads.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I had a subscription for most of college, as my mother did not approve of it when I was in high school. It's fairly entertaining, but horribly repetitive. I haven't found a decent replacement yet. Honestly, my favorite part of fashion mags are the outfits the editors put together from a combination of high end and affordable pieces. I find it less abstract than straight runway fashions.

I just don't need 46 sex tips you wouldn't have thought about.

7 Sex Tips from Cosmo That Will Put You in the Hospital | Cracked.com

Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
I never read that garbage. It's pretty much like paying for one giant, non-entertaining advertisement.

I don't really follow trends besides if I see something new at a store I like, I'll buy it. Most new things at stores geared to people my age are at least somewhat trendy.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 AM

484 posts, read 854,915 times
Cosmo is not the same since Helen Gurley Brown Left. Helen Gurley Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
From a business and trend standpoint, I prefer WWD. From an artistic standpoint, I prefer the standard fash mags: Vogue, Elle (although I loved Gilles editorials/spreads and those are few and far between these days), W and Harper's Bazaar. Oh...and V magazine

I find Lucky, InStyle and Allure to have the most relatable and attainable layouts and trends.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
ha ha...I love Cosmo, "How To Dress Professional"...I am just wondering...what profession? If I ever walked into a business meeting, with four inch stilettos, a micro mini skirt, a black lace camisole, and short jacket...with gold bangles, and long dangly earrings...I am thinking, that meeting would come to a major halt.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
^^^^Lol, I just feel sorry for anyone who takes life advice from Cosmo, that magazine is dangerous

I used to always buy it saying "Oh, this magazine is such trash but it's just what I need right now".

I didn't read most of it because it has articles all about men and I'm in a great relationship and don't want any advice. There were articles like "When should you be jealous?" and "How to tell if he is cheating" or "100 ways to please your man". What the hell? This magazine is making young women even more insecure and needy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty