Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
just my opinion, but I wouldn't say these women look wildly different. Seriously, if you told me all of them were 5'4 and between 170-180, i would believe you.
Can we have an honest discussion. I am a 43 year old male who is 6 feet, 210 right now. I should be weighing 180, how in the hell is a woman who is 5"4' inches and 170 normal and healthy? My wife is 5"9' and weighs 140. These real women are obese, just like I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times

I still can't believe those numbers so I went to the CDC and it has approximately the same findings:

Measured average height, weight, and waist circumference for adults ages 20 years and over (2003-2006)

Men:
Height (inches): 69.4
Weight (pounds): 194.7
Waist circumference (inches): 39.7

Women:
Height (inches): 63.8
Weight (pounds): 164.7
Waist circumference (inches): 37.0

Percentage of Americans that are overweight = 68.8 %

downright scary.

FASTSTATS - Body Measurements

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus11.pdf#069

Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I prefer thinner rather than volumptuous, what a word. To each his own. I don't understand why some African Amercians and Latinos like women with big booties, yuck not for me, but great you like it.

If a woman if going to be curvy then I expect larger adult play toys on top. No small chests and big butts that is the worst.

Buy hey I have been fat, thin, and now inbetween so can I expect Tmobile girl, she's my #1, to being coming over any time soon? Hey maybe she can bring the winning lottery ticket too!

But hey big girls try harder so give them a brownie point.

It's late and I am geting punchy so forgive my misogynistic point of view.
As you said,to each his own.
I find the big breasts,flat butt look gross. With the big butts often comes a small waist,which is considered feminine.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
just my opinion, but I wouldn't say these women look wildly different. Seriously, if you told me all of them were 5'4 and between 170-180, i would believe you.
Number one and the second to last pic are the curvy ones.
Still,most of these women don't look overweight.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I still can't believe those numbers so I went to the CDC and it has approximately the same findings:

Measured average height, weight, and waist circumference for adults ages 20 years and over (2003-2006)

Men:
Height (inches): 69.4
Weight (pounds): 194.7
Waist circumference (inches): 39.7

Women:
Height (inches): 63.8
Weight (pounds): 164.7
Waist circumference (inches): 37.0

Percentage of Americans that are overweight = 68.8 %

downright scary.

FASTSTATS - Body Measurements

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus11.pdf#069
Thinking about something...has the average female height lowered in maybe the last 10-20 years due to immigration? Like I said in another post, I'm 63" even and was always considered "short". Many of our Hispanic indigenous (Indian) immigrants are much shorter than I. I wonder if this is skewing the results. I wonder if there has been a statistical analysis done.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Thinking about something...has the average female height lowered in maybe the last 10-20 years due to immigration? Like I said in another post, I'm 63" even and was always considered "short". Many of our Hispanic indigenous (Indian) immigrants are much shorter than I. I wonder if this is skewing the results. I wonder if there has been a statistical analysis done.
That's possible, I suppose it depends where they are immigrating from.

But also 63.8 inches is only 1/4 inch short of 5'4" which is the average height for American women that I've always heard. Maybe they're just measuring more precisely now.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am going to use the infamous, this is meaningless without pics!

Here are couple of people with the average american height/weight approximately. Notice how these women look wildly different at the same approximate weight and height:

Browse Photos - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like
These women are all obese and look every bit as such. The only differences are fat storage locations.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's possible, I suppose it depends where they are immigrating from.

But also 63.8 inches is only 1/4 inch short of 5'4" which is the average height for American women that I've always heard. Maybe they're just measuring more precisely now.
Given sufficient food and optimal environmental conditions (like we enjoy in the West thanks to clothes, air conditioning etc.) there is a kind of maximum average height for humans that is not surpassed no matter what ethnicity, it's about 5'11" for men and 5'6" for women.

I see it here in Portugal every day: young Portuguese are not seldom one or even two feet taller than the elderly, many of whom still grew up when Portugal was still a very poor country with hunger etc. Now there is enough food for everyone and the younger generations are almost as tall as Germans, although they still are the very same ethnic Portuguese they always were. Especially girls/women seem to grow much taller than in the past.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Given sufficient food and optimal environmental conditions (like we enjoy in the West thanks to clothes, air conditioning etc.) there is a kind of maximum average height for humans that is not surpassed no matter what ethnicity, it's about 5'11" for men and 5'6" for women.

I see it here in Portugal every day: young Portuguese are not seldom one or even two feet taller than the elderly, many of whom still grew up when Portugal was still a very poor country with hunger etc. Now there is enough food for everyone and the younger generations are almost as tall as Germans, although they still are the very same ethnic Portuguese they always were. Especially girls/women seem to grow much taller than in the past.
5'11" and 5'6" would be very tall for many of the people in southern Mexico and Central America, where most of our immigrants in the USA come from. They are descendants of various tribes, the Mayan come to my mind first only because I was so surprised when I made a trip to the Yucatan when I was around 13 and I saw that I was taller than the adult women! Now, thinking about what you're saying, it might be interesting to see what happens in the next generation or two of our most recent immigrants. My daughter, who is always one of the shortest Anglo girls in her class, is often taller than the Hispanic girls. Most of those girls were the first generation born here.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
5'11" and 5'6" would be very tall for many of the people in southern Mexico and Central America, where most of our immigrants in the USA come from. They are descendants of various tribes, the Mayan come to my mind first only because I was so surprised when I made a trip to the Yucatan when I was around 13 and I saw that I was taller than the adult women! Now, thinking about what you're saying, it might be interesting to see what happens in the next generation or two of our most recent immigrants. My daughter, who is always one of the shortest Anglo girls in her class, is often taller than the Hispanic girls. Most of those girls were the first generation born here.
Yes, those size differences can be weird. Here when they show interviews with regular people in rural areas on TV, the journalist (usually from Lisbon) often has to bend down to speak to those people, as if they were children

Sure, some peoples like the Maya are very short, I have no idea how long it takes till they start to grow taller. I suppose the tropical climate down in southern Mexico is one reason why they are so short. But once that is gone and they have excess food like most people do in the US, who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty