Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I hate ties. In my opinion it's such a double standard. Women can wear virtually anything and it's considered "proper office attire" but men are expected to wear a tie. Personally, I've always thought they are silly looking and strangulating.
That's not true AT ALL, it's very complicated for a woman to figure out what to wear for different situations in order to look appropriate, women's dress is incredibly nuanced, even something like choosing a pair of earrings requires a lot of thought about where you are going and who will be there. Women cannot wear "virtually anything" and have it be proper for any given situation. Trust me, I am a woman who does not enjoy shopping, or obsessing over clothes, but I am a business owner with an active social life, so I have to dress for many different occasions. I wish I could wear virtually anything, and look appropriate, but it doesn't work that way.

One could compare a tie to women's hosiery, they can both be uncomfortable, but are required in some situations, although those rules are loosening, in many workplaces ties are not required. My fiancee' loves wearing them, and chooses them very carefully, maybe because men's fashion doesn't always allow for much self expression, the tie is often the only splash of color or pattern, some men seem to have fun with them.

Last edited by detshen; 12-18-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Men's suit colors and styles are very limited.

A tie is an opportunity to display a little personality, yet still conform to the suit standard.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,563,641 times
I think ties look great though there doesn't seem a need for them to be worn much really...unless you're going for some job interview or real formal event. I rarely see ties being worn at the office anymore compared to 10yrs ago...so maybe out with formal style ties and in with chic looking ties. What i do like seeing is women wearing it more!...the main vocalist here is wearing a really nice one...i wouldn't be surprised if it was a unisex tie considering that part of the world...it really looks nice or maybe the fact that it just goes well with her shirt...

Nine Muses - Wild (130517) - YouTube

Last edited by JL; 03-02-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM

274 posts, read 706,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
A girl I was talking to the other day, think guys look so sexy in a tie.
Seriously, if a girl said I look sexy in a tie, I would wear it everyday.

Unfortunately, my "girl" never says that.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,818,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Worse is wearing it in hot climates, like where I am at in Miami; a nice July day and drenching in sweat from the stupid suit and tie,
The solution to this is a linen suit. It can feel like not wearing anything.

In respect to the general thread, what about bow ties?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

447 posts, read 1,046,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Do ties make men faint or deform their bone structure and bodies? .
No, but its kind of like having a noose around your neck. In a fight, a tie can be used against your or to choke you.

No thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,818,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
In a fight, a tie can be used against your or to choke you.
Not if you have a functional tie clip/tack. And I just pulled my tie hard to see what would happen, nothing. It didn't constrict. I had someone else pull on it too. If someone does try to choke you with a tie you can break the joints in their arm in so many different ways its not funny.

Idk maybe it has to do with the type of knot that you use, all the more reason to keep on using full windsor knot I guess.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:43 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,270,539 times
I don't think the problem is with the tie, the problem is with the SHIRT. Most of my dress shirts are too tight around the neck when the top button is buttoned! And that's why ties are so uncomfortale. I do have one white dress shirt that isn't too tight, but most of them are.

That said, I think ties and suits are a waste of money. This isn't the '50s where men had to put on a different suit, tie and hat every day to go to work. And I don't get the whole "men are sexy in a suit and tie" thing at all. A nice pair of jeans and a t-shirt are much sexier.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,211,118 times
How does "looking sexy" improve your job performance?

If men didn't wear ties, what type of shirt would do for a business look? Would it go with a suit? Or would the entire men's dress outfit have to undergo a big change?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,637,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Anyone else agree?
Couldn't be further from the truth.

Ties are NOTHING like a corset. Corsets have the ability to deform the wearer over time, change body functions, and cause irreparable damage, ties just make you feel uncomfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ridiculous to compare a tie to a corset...

That said, DH really LOVES wearing ties, and he has quite the collection.
I have never owned a corset or known anyone personally who owned a corset.
I love my corsets, wear them quite often; much more comfy than a bra, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
No, but its kind of like having a noose around your neck. In a fight, a tie can be used against your or to choke you.

No thanks.
So wear a clip on, or find a job where a tie isn't required, or don't get in a fight. Simple really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty