Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM

983 posts, read 997,239 times

Advertisements

I love looking at well-patterned ties. If the neck size of the shirt is right, the tie shouldn't be "corset-like".
Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:08 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,861 times
Try wearing linen suits when it's hot. Studies have shown that linen (and silk) actually lowers your skin temperature much better than wearing nothing at all. It traps cool air between it and your skin.

Some don't like the wrinkling but that is because we have become so conditioned to perma press synthetic fabrics, which are HOT.

Stick to natural fibers, linen, silk, cotton for summer, and wool for winter. It works for me.

The old corset propaganda myths have been debunked. Women didn't have medical problems unless they were ill-fitting or worn improperly. They were custom made according to exact measurements. There may have been some problems when manufacturers began mass-producing them in standard sizes.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,923,593 times
I actually like wearing a suit and tie for appropriate occasions. Then again I enjoy dressing well anyway. I'd say of the guys in our office wear khaki chinos and a golf polo almost every day, year round. For my office wear, I keep an assortment of nice chinos, wool dress pants, linen dress pants, etc. and always wear a dress shirt or sometimes an nice oxford. in the winter i will wear sweaters or cardigans and sometimes throw a tie on underneath them. I don't ever feel 'restricted', I like the way it looks, and tend to get compliments.

That being said, I can understand that not everyone feels the same.

I am however confused why a dress shirt + blazer is uncomfortable to you. Because you say you wear dress shirts, or dress shirts and sweaters. You also say you wear blazers with a shirt. So I am missing the step that makes a blazer + dress shirt uncomfortable. But I understand this is personal preference type stuff.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,412,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
It's both.

Even a properly-fitted collar is snug around the neck in comparison to an open collar. Adding a necktie just makes it worse. A properly-fitted suit coat feels confining compared to not wearing one at all.

Add to that the irritation of having to wear clothes that I don't want to wear at all plus the whole "better than" thing.

And as far as "no one is forcing you to wear one", do you really think that's the case? No pressure from mothers, wives, or bosses, ever?

I'll stand by my assertion that a properly fitting shirt/jacket/tie should not cause you any physical discomfort. Is it as relaxed a feeling as wearing sweats and a t-shirt? Obviously not, but that's not the discussion being had.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,633,895 times
Ties do not bother me at all, what bothers me sometimes is the tight shirt collar. I feel like I am being choked so sometimes I do not button the last button. I would never wear a suit with an open collar shirt and no tie no matter how fashionable it becomes. I just don't like it.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,272,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'll stand by my assertion that a properly fitting shirt/jacket/tie should not cause you any physical discomfort.

Big difference between your "should not cause you any physical discomfort" and my "snug around the neck" and "feels confining". You're telling me what I should not feel and I'm telling you what I do feel.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,412,571 times
Quote:
Big difference between your "should not cause you any physical discomfort" and my "snug around the neck" and "feels confining"...

Quote:
Aside from the considerable discomfort factor, what I hate about neckties is that they act as some kind of social "better than" badge, in that the guy wearing the necktie is somehow considered to be more competent, more knowledgeable, more proper, or in some way just "better" than the guy who is not wearing a tie.

Quote:
Of course I stand and act differently when I'm being made thoroughly uncomfortable by wearing a useless necktie.

Much like how I'd probably stand and act differently if I had some foreign object lodged in my fundament.

These sure read like references to physical discomfort to me.

Regardless, I think we've both established our positions. Have a good weekend.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,272,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
These sure read like references to physical discomfort to me.

Regardless, I think we've both established our positions. Have a good weekend.

Indeed, they are. You were saying that I should not feel discomfort, I am saying that I certainly do.

You have a good weekend, too.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,998,911 times
Default Alternatives?

Quote:
It's both.

Add to that the irritation of having to wear clothes that I don't want to wear at all plus the whole "better than" thing.

And as far as "no one is forcing you to wear one", do you really think that's the case? No pressure from mothers, wives, or bosses, ever?
I went online to look for a tie-less alternative. I came across mention of a style-a suit worn without a tie, with the collar open.

http://dappered.com/2013/01/how-to-g...s-with-a-suit/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty