Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
It doesnt bother me at all. I think its great that women care about their bodies (i.e., their health) and how they look. Its a great self confidence thing. I very rarely ever ever ever ever ever come across a woman who has taken it to an extreme. Even here in Los Angeles where people who dont live here, mistakenly THINK that everyone is wrapped up in body image. People care of course, but from what I see, people are quite active to do something about it. Was hanging at the local Starbucks Christmas eve morning and during the course of an hour, I must have seen a couple of hundred women come through wearing their Lululemon Athletica workout gear showing just how good they look and how much confidence they have in themseleves.
I grew up in California... most SoCal people ARE wrapped up in image. You probably can't see it because you're one of them and think it's normal.

What's funny is that most of those women wearing Lululemon probably weren't working out...they just wanted the IMAGE of working out. I knew sooo many women like that in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
Did she lose the weight slowly or rapidly? Generally the quicker the weight is lost, and/or the older the person, the more likely skin sagging is to occur. This might be an interesting read for your friend, but since I'm not a physician, I can't entirely vouch for or against its validity.
The Myth of Loose Skin
Very slowly. It took her nearly 3 years to lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I grew up in California... most SoCal people ARE wrapped up in image. You probably can't see it because you're one of them and think it's normal.

What's funny is that most of those women wearing Lululemon probably weren't working out...they just wanted the IMAGE of working out. I knew sooo many women like that in CA.

Very slowly. It took her nearly 3 years to lose it.
Yeah they probably go to the gym just to chat or something while walking leisurely on the tread-mill, then go home and have a tiny salad for lunch.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah they probably go to the gym just to chat or something while walking leisurely on the tread-mill, then go home and have a tiny salad for lunch.
Or they don't go to the gym at all. I knew plenty of women who would just do their everyday errands while wearing 'workout' clothes (you can always tell by their perfectly clean and new looking 'running' shoes) and had never exercised a day in their life.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,030 times
Quote:
Or they don't go to the gym at all. I knew plenty of women who would just do their everyday errands while wearing 'workout' clothes (you can always tell by their perfectly clean and new looking 'running' shoes) and had never exercised a day in their life.
LOL. True.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,715,382 times
Quote:
My sister calls it the 'shame spiral'. You get picked on for being too fat, too thin, too tall, too short etc. and you resort to ultimately self destructive ways of making yourself feel 'better'. Then, you realize you're even deeper in the hole and farther away from being deemed acceptable so at that point you just keep being self destructive because 'why bother'?

I have a friend who lost a TON of weight (200 or so lbs) and now that she's thin she still gets made fun of for her extra skin. So, she lost the weight and she's still not attractive. At this point, she says she'd rather be fat again because at least then people could see that she was fat, now people see a thin person and it's a shock when it's revealed that she has a lot of sagging skin.

Sorry but that is just insane. She would rather die of a heart attack than put effort into step two of her weight change?

Why would she be showing skin to insensitive people anyway?

Sometimes image can be a manifestation of deeper seeded issues. I think that is what is going on here and part of the reason everyone freaks out about "looks" so much.

A sane person would not wish they were fat again. They would accept they were, appreciate themselves for how far they have come and look into choices to change where they are if they are still not happy.

Looks, life , anything really.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post

Sorry but that is just insane. She would rather die of a heart attack than put effort into step two of her weight change?

Why would she be showing skin to insensitive people anyway?

Sometimes image can be a manifestation of deeper seeded issues. I think that is what is going on here and part of the reason everyone freaks out about "looks" so much.

A sane person would not wish they were fat again. They would accept they were, appreciate themselves for how far they have come and look into choices to change where they are if they are still not happy.

Looks, life , anything really.
I think it was more of a flippant comment, not that she actually wanted to gain the weight.

She's actually had guys leave her because of it...more than once. It's amazing how insensitive people can be.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Trimac20..I think women wouldn't be so obsessed with their body image if men weren't sooooo obsessed with "her" body image...go to the forums on shaving and you'll read how gross some men find hair on a women..it's no wonder women have problems with their appearance, and a real shame, because difference is the spice of life, and we're all missing out when we cater to certain standards that can be exclusive of so many.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I hope you do not seriously believe that commercials and magazines are the biggest factors when it comes to women and body image. A LOT of it comes from MEN, read the posts here on the forum. Almost every post in relationships about dating, marrying etc says " the woman I marry/date/have sex with/ look at/ fantasize about HAS TO BE HOT WITH A PERFECT BODY"

So quit whining about it if you are male and part of the problem.
I agree, although I think it would really be hard to take mainstream media out of the equation altogether. When women are bombarded with images of women who are dieted, exercised, trimmed, sliced, painted, airbrushed, and Photoshopped within an inch of their lives to conform to a narrow standard of beauty, it's hard not to feel inferior by comparison. And companies make money hand over fist portraying their products as the solution: hair color, anti-aging cream, HD foundations, spray tans, teeth whitening preparations, Spanx, diet pills, etc. etc.

That being said, there's no supply without demand. There ARE a lot of men that really feel that they have been deal a sh*tty hand in life if they don't have a bunch of "10's" fawning all over them. Guys oftentimes put such a premium on looks that they'll excuse some completely glaring flaws if the woman is "hot". This is by no means unique to this forum as I've seen it plenty in real life as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,036 times
Default Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not saying girls/women should just not care and stuff themselves silly, but I'm sick and tired about women obsessing about looks, weight.etc. It's like all they seem to talk about is looks, clothes, how fat they are (or, somewhat refreshingly, how skinny they are), how their boobs aren't big enough, their butt is too skinny/big. I've met some pretty intelligent women who make silly adolescent superficial comments about this and that being 'hot' and it makes them seem more sheeplike and irritating. I get it, it does take some effort to look 'hot and sexy' (what's with the obsession with being sexy? Pick up a copy of Cosmo or something and it's invariably about looking hot or sexy) but if you eat right, exercise, and not get obsessive over it (or diets or any of that crap) you're gonna look healthy and decent! Why do you obsess about having 'skinny thighs' and all that other crap? Stop reading these magazines that portray 'unrealistic women' then, stop buying into it!

Where can I find a women who isn't grossly overweight who isn't obsessed with looks? lol. I'm sure they're out there, but an annoyingly high percentage seem to be like this. Even fat women are miserable about it, or jealous, even as they can't control their appetites. If you're gonna be fat and not change, at least don't be miserable about it.

Okay, rant over lol.
Here's a reality check for you.

Society is beyond obsessed with what women look like, how thin they should be, how they should dress and style their hair. We, women, are CONSTANTLY subjected to media on an every day basis with regards to how WE should look. THEREFORE we spend a large portion of our day trying to live up to these expactations meanwhile feeling that we are not GOOD enough, we are not THIN enough, we are not PRETTY enough, our hair isn't LONG enough or SHORT enough or as FULL is it could be. We try our hardest to live up to the unrealistic expectations that society has put on us (MEN AND WOMEN). So be because society is so obsessed with our ideals, we too become the same way.

Here's a little project for you. Why don't you actually spend some time talking to different women and how they feel about the CONSTANT NEVER ENDING barrage of media that we are subjected to on a daily basis and how we could never actually live up to the expectations and tell me what you would be thinking about?

Pay close attention to the materials in the magazines women read, the commercials on TV that are aimed at women, the hollywood starlets are that are by medical standards underweight yet TOO FAT to be cast in the latest IT movie.

Maybe then you will get a CLUE what it's like to be a woman.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
Trimac, it seems like you always have something catty and negative to say about "most young women today".

Why are you so bitter and negative? You must really be having bad luck with women because you always are nitpicking about how women are.

Not to mention being friends with teenage girls online which already shows how out of touch you are for a man in his late 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty