Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Not saying girls/women should just not care and stuff themselves silly, but I'm sick and tired about women obsessing about looks, weight.etc. It's like all they seem to talk about is looks, clothes, how fat they are (or, somewhat refreshingly, how skinny they are), how their boobs aren't big enough, their butt is too skinny/big. I've met some pretty intelligent women who make silly adolescent superficial comments about this and that being 'hot' and it makes them seem more sheeplike and irritating. I get it, it does take some effort to look 'hot and sexy' (what's with the obsession with being sexy? Pick up a copy of Cosmo or something and it's invariably about looking hot or sexy) but if you eat right, exercise, and not get obsessive over it (or diets or any of that crap) you're gonna look healthy and decent! Why do you obsess about having 'skinny thighs' and all that other crap? Stop reading these magazines that portray 'unrealistic women' then, stop buying into it!

Where can I find a women who isn't grossly overweight who isn't obsessed with looks? lol. I'm sure they're out there, but an annoyingly high percentage seem to be like this. Even fat women are miserable about it, or jealous, even as they can't control their appetites. If you're gonna be fat and not change, at least don't be miserable about it.

Okay, rant over lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not saying girls/women should just not care and stuff themselves silly, but I'm sick and tired about women obsessing about looks, weight.etc. It's like all they seem to talk about is looks, clothes, how fat they are (or, somewhat refreshingly, how skinny they are), how their boobs aren't big enough, their butt is too skinny/big. I've met some pretty intelligent women who make silly adolescent superficial comments about this and that being 'hot' and it makes them seem more sheeplike and irritating. I get it, it does take some effort to look 'hot and sexy' (what's with the obsession with being sexy? Pick up a copy of Cosmo or something and it's invariably about looking hot or sexy) but if you eat right, exercise, and not get obsessive over it (or diets or any of that crap) you're gonna look healthy and decent! Why do you obsess about having 'skinny thighs' and all that other crap? Stop reading these magazines that portray 'unrealistic women' then, stop buying into it!

Where can I find a women who isn't grossly overweight who isn't obsessed with looks? lol. I'm sure they're out there, but an annoyingly high percentage seem to be like this. Even fat women are miserable about it, or jealous, even as they can't control their appetites. If you're gonna be fat and not change, at least don't be miserable about it.

Okay, rant over lol.

None of my friends are the way you describe and we are all in our 20s. Actually, we never talk about this stuff. Sometime I like to talk about hair because I'm obsessed with doing it, and the conversation usually lasts only a minute.

Cosmo does not represent all women. Thats like a woman picking up a copy of Maxim and judging all men based on articles like "How to cheat" or "How to get any woman" etc.

Maybe you live in a weird hick town where people never go on to do more with their lives, I don't know.

All of my friends went to college or are paying their way through college and we talk about work (nurses, marketing people, teachers) and school.

Where can you find us? Well, most of my friends aren't in to meeting men. I guess we are too busy working and studying

Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:

Okay, rant over lol.
As if it were just in magazines. It's in EVERY. DAY. LIFE! How we are "supposed to be" is everywhere, heck, even in forum posts on CD.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
None of my friends are the way you describe and we are all in our 20s. Actually, we never talk about this stuff. Sometime I like to talk about hair because I'm obsessed with doing it, and the conversation usually lasts only a minute.

Cosmo does not represent all women. Thats like a woman picking up a copy of Maxim and judging all men based on articles like "How to cheat" or "How to get any woman" etc.

Maybe you live in a weird hick town where people never go on to do more with their lives, I don't know.

All of my friends went to college or are paying their way through college and we talk about work (nurses, marketing people, teachers) and school.

Where can you find us? Well, most of my friends aren't in to meeting men. I guess we are too busy working and studying
Maybe it's where I live. The closest US equivalent would be San Diego. This place is full of blonde (or at least mentally, sorry to blondes for using this stereotype) suburbanites...all my classmates seem to be getting married, having kids, buying houses in the 'burbs. Go to any dating site and the girls are just interested in going to the beach, the pub, clubbing and that's about it. The more intellectual ones just strike me as more snobby, and they're just as caught up in the body image thing. Bleh, that's why I wanna move to Melbourne ASAP.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,589 times
Quote:
Maybe it's where I live. The closest US equivalent would be San Diego. This place is full of blonde (or at least mentally, sorry to blondes for using this stereotype) suburbanites...all my classmates seem to be getting married, having kids, buying houses in the 'burbs. Go to any dating site and the girls are just interested in going to the beach, the pub, clubbing and that's about it. The more intellectual ones just strike me as more snobby, and they're just as caught up in the body image thing. Bleh, that's why I wanna move to Melbourne ASAP.
Kid, is there anything in life that you DO like? Even if you see these people clubbing or drinking or getting married, how can you presume to know everything about their lives? Shockingly you can do all of the things you mentioned and still be an interesting, intelligent, well rounded human being.

You should probably stop focusing on all the things you dislike and start focusing on what you do like.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
This video BBC Documentary from 1990 on Edward Bernays, nephew of Sigmund Freud, will help anyone understand how they are manipulated in todays society on large scale.

The symptoms you mention (females and body image) are just one component as part of programming and conditioning people to be consumer 'units', and manipulable 'slaves' as Eric Hoffer apply described. It's long but excellent educational material.

The Century Of The Self - YouTube

Old 12-25-2012, 08:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Perhaps because the only thing most women are judged on is what they look like? Random strangers just love commenting on women's bodies and how they look..and don't even get me started on friends and family. When I graduated with my engineering degree you want to know what the first things my aunts said to me was? "Wow, you've gained some weight. Now that you're done with school you should probably work on that." The sad thing? I had actually lost weight due to stress at that point. They didn't say a thing about me graduating, just made remarks on how I look.

This is what women deal with all the time. Then you wonder why there are so many women who focus on what they look like?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Perhaps because the only thing most women are judged on is what they look like? Random strangers just love commenting on women's bodies and how they look..and don't even get me started on friends and family. When I graduated with my engineering degree you want to know what the first things my aunts said to me was? "Wow, you've gained some weight. Now that you're done with school you should probably work on that." The sad thing? I had actually lost weight due to stress at that point. They didn't say a thing about me graduating, just made remarks on how I look.

This is what women deal with all the time. Then you wonder why there are so many women who focus on what they look like?
Yes and THAT annoys me. In fact I rarely compliment women on their body for that reason. Maybe their clothes or their style or some aspect of their PERSONALITY, but women are BOMBARDED with opinions on how they look etc. Even positive opinions can be bad, because once you start EXPECTING them anything else will not do. Why do women get so hurt if they're told they're fat? Why do women get so angry if their SO tells them that yes, their butt does look a little plump? On the same page, why the need to even bring up a woman's weight?

This fixation with female beauty has to stop. I don't mean totally ignore it, or stop appreciating it (like that'll happen) but at the very least don't make it such an obsession that it comes before truly important things like being a good person.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Quote:
Yes and THAT annoys me. In fact I rarely compliment women on their body for that reason. Maybe their clothes or their style or some aspect of their PERSONALITY, but women are BOMBARDED with opinions on how they look etc. Even positive opinions can be bad, because once you start EXPECTING them anything else will not do. Why do women get so hurt if they're told they're fat? Why do women get so angry if their SO tells them that yes, their butt does look a little plump? On the same page, why the need to even bring up a woman's weight?

This fixation with female beauty has to stop. I don't mean totally ignore it, or stop appreciating it (like that'll happen) but at the very least don't make it such an obsession that it comes before truly important things like being a good person.
Because being told you're fat, or unattractive is basically the WORST thing a woman can be told. Being unattractive means undesirable and that doesn't just mean in a romantic way. That means being passed up for promotions, being ignored at functions, not being included in groups, being made fun of etc. I was bullied heavily in high school because of the way I looked and it took me YEARS to get over that. Even now, at 29 years old I still feel I never grew out of that awkward, pimply, gangly teenage phase where I had to drop out of school because of how horrible people were to me.

My ex boyfriend used to tell me I was looking 'plump' and guess what? He cheated on me multiple times with thinner women and rubbed it in my face after we broke up. I was rejected and humiliated solely because of the way I looked.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
It is not going to happen when outer society tells us the worst thing you can be is ugly. Or fat.

Or when you are born the first thing anyone says about you is "wow your kid is really cute."

This doesn't mean everyone is obsessed. I know very few women who are. But we are acutely aware of the importance of our appearance.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty