Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You may not like it, but look in magazines, look at high powered couples and celebrities...these are the women who are commonly held up as 'ideal'.

I think it's because thin women are held up as ideal. Thin women get the attention, they're the ones i magazies, they're not being ridiculed publicly by strangers etc. so I think it's just women trying to be confident in their own bodies which may NOT be the mainstreams ideal. It's kind of a weird way of going about it, since I'm not a fan of putting someone down to make myself feel better, but if you're told your uattractive by society around you, it may seem like a small triumph to say things like 'real women have curves'.
Yeah, I know... the media crams down all kinds of "standards of beauty" that are ridiculous. Same goes for men, we're all inundated with crap all the time.

It's all friggin ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
You may not like it, but look in magazines, look at high powered couples and celebrities...these are the women who are commonly held up as 'ideal'.

I think it's because thin women are held up as ideal. Thin women get the attention, they're the ones i magazies, they're not being ridiculed publicly by strangers etc. so I think it's just women trying to be confident in their own bodies which may NOT be the mainstreams ideal. It's kind of a weird way of going about it, since I'm not a fan of putting someone down to make myself feel better, but if you're told your uattractive by society around you, it may seem like a small triumph to say things like 'real women have curves'.
Fashion industry is ran by gay men.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:02 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Men who like thick women say this and women who are thick say this. Why? I don't know. They don't think of us as real women. *shrugs*
#1: To me a real woman is pro man and not using him for her selfish reasons and vice-versa.

#2: A female from birth later is a woman is a woman is a woman no matter what size but for being real one please read #1 again.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
#1: To me a real woman is pro man and not using him for her selfish reasons and vice-versa.

#2: A female from birth later is a woman is a woman is a woman no matter what size but for being real one please read #1 again.

Good post.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post

Nice.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I know... the media crams down all kinds of "standards of beauty" that are ridiculous. Same goes for men, we're all inundated with crap all the time.

It's all friggin ridiculous

Absolutely agreed. I've been both 'thin' and 'curvy' and I'll take the extra weight anyday, but I do know that that is a very unpopular view with most people. I'm constantly told that thinner is better and that thinner is more attractive by not only the media, but the way people act as well. Most men DO treat thinner women better while heavier women (and I'm not talking obese or even overweight in many cases) get treated with derision. Women who aren't thin are often thought of as less intelligent ON TOP of being thought of as less attractive.

We're all surrounded by fakeness.... bilboards, magazines, movies, tv shows etc. all show basically fake facsimiles of people and the average folks are somehow supposed to live up to those images even though the people in the actual images can't do it! It's amazing, really.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Fashion industry is ran by gay men.

Notice I didn't mention the fashion industry in particular.

It's in every industry that has ever used public advertising.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:11 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Ricki Lake is HOT...

She has some real nice curves. She is not thin.

https://plus.google.com/110109989158...03791418/posts

Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Notice I didn't mention the fashion industry in particular.

It's in every industry that has ever used public advertising.
Any straight man you ask will tell you that he pays no attention to magazines and likes women with curves.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Ricki Lake is HOT...

She has some real nice curves. She is not thin.

https://plus.google.com/110109989158...03791418/posts
I've always thought ricki lake was attractive.

Didn't care for her talk show, but I definitely thought she was a hottie!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty