Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,758 times

Advertisements

Why do curvy and overweight women get a monopoly on the "real" women label. What makes a curvy woman a "real" woman, but a thin woman not a real woman? I don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I see plenty of fat girls just abusing the term "curvy"....

But hey, whatever floats their boats....

This is coming from a guy who likes women with a extra.......

Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,260 times
I usually hear this in relation to supermodels or swimsuit models, who are different than just "thin women". Granted, I don't hear the "real women" comment very much.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Real women are all sizes and many fat women use it to justify their fat selves. Curvy used to mean a woman with a great figure until the oinkers took it away.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Are some of you isolated from society in some way?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I've only ever seen it referenced in comparing 'supermodels' to 'regular women' in real life, not really thin vs. curvy which is where I see it used on the internet.

I think it has more to do with completely unattainable standards that only a very very small minority of women can ever achieve. The women in those magazines? They're NOT real, and a lot of them aren't even women yet, but very young girls and that's what is held up as the standard for beauty, socially at least, not necessarily individually.

I think it's just backlash against being told that only one type of body is attractive, and that's tall and rail thin.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've only ever seen it referenced in comparing 'supermodels' to 'regular women' in real life, not really thin vs. curvy which is where I see it used on the internet.

I think it has more to do with completely unattainable standards that only a very very small minority of women can ever achieve. The women in those magazines? They're NOT real, and a lot of them aren't even women yet, but very young girls and that's what is held up as the standard for beauty, socially at least, not necessarily individually.

I think it's just backlash against being told that only one type of body is attractive, and that's tall and rail thin.
Tall and rail thin.

No thanks....

Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Men who like thick women say this and women who are thick say this. Why? I don't know. They don't think of us as real women. *shrugs*

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Tall and rail thin.

No thanks....

You may not like it, but look in magazines, look at high powered couples and celebrities...these are the women who are commonly held up as 'ideal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Men who like thick women say this and women who are thick say this. Why? I don't know. They don't think of us as real women. *shrugs*
I think it's because thin women are held up as ideal. Thin women get the attention, they're the ones i magazies, they're not being ridiculed publicly by strangers etc. so I think it's just women trying to be confident in their own bodies which may NOT be the mainstreams ideal. It's kind of a weird way of going about it, since I'm not a fan of putting someone down to make myself feel better, but if you're told your uattractive by society around you, it may seem like a small triumph to say things like 'real women have curves'.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
It's pretty silly that thin women are called out that way. But my level of sympathy for them is pretty low because men have been called out as being "not a real man" since the beginning time, for an assortment of silly reasons (ok, some aren't silly, like being a deadbeat dad, a criminal, etc).

This is pretty much a new phenomenon for women...and what's funny is it isn't men who say this, it's other women. I've never heard a guy say "she's not a real woman", simply men will just say that she's not as attractive as the girl with bigger boobs, but the thin woman's womenhood is never questioned unless she's the type that acts totally masculine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty