Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Any straight man you ask will tell you that he pays no attention to magazines and likes women with curves.
I'm constantly surprised how many men like thinner women..... so, there is a lid for every pot... you got guys like me who like the meaty girls and you got guys who like the thinner ladies...

It's all good....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've always thought ricki lake was attractive.

Didn't care for her talk show, but I definitely thought she was a hottie!!!!

Yeah. I admit I've found her body shape attractive. She's got great curves.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
I've always thought ricki lake was attractive.

Didn't care for her talk show, but I definitely thought she was a hottie!!!!

Definitely thought she looked better thicker.
I know some nice older men who like Ina Garten.
I would like her too if I was a guy.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Real women are all sizes and many fat women use it to justify their fat selves. Curvy used to mean a woman with a great figure until the oinkers took it away.
Lovely.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Any straight man you ask will tell you that he pays no attention to magazines and likes women with curves.

Soooo not true.

Most of my guy friends like petite, really thin women. My best friend is currently dating a woman who is maybe 5'1 and 90 lbs....I don't think he's ever dated a woman who was over 115 lbs.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Definitely thought she looked better thicker.
I know some nice older men who like Ina Garten.
I would like her too if I was a guy.
Ina Garten has a pretty face, but man... she drives me nuts, Mrs. Chow and I watch the Barefoot Contesta just so we can goof on her... she's so annoying....

LOL

Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Why do curvy and overweight women get a monopoly on the "real" women label. What makes a curvy woman a "real" woman, but a thin woman not a real woman? I don't understand it.
It isn't meant to be taken literally. The point is that very thin women are over represented in the media, giving men--and some women--an unrealistic view of what is "normal." The average American women is somewhere between a size 12 and a size 14, not a size 2 or a size 4.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
I think the backlash is against artificially thin women; there are many celebrity photos where the female's image has been the product of photoshop. Stretch marks disappear. Love handles removed. Faces and arms are thinned. Those aren't real images of real women.

Then, there is also the fact that during the 90s, anorexic thin models were the standard of beauty. Their lifestyle promoted an unhealthy body image that the media embraced as the ideal for women. Models were thin because they are supposed to slip in and out of clothes; they are to make the clothes look good.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Soooo not true.

Most of my guy friends like petite, really thin women. My best friend is currently dating a woman who is maybe 5'1 and 90 lbs....I don't think he's ever dated a woman who was over 115 lbs.
With all due respect JJ, I think your friends are a detriment to you and your self-esteem. I think you should get new ones.

Quote:
Ina Garten has a pretty face, but man... she drives me nuts, Mrs. Chow and I watch the Barefoot Contesta just so we can goof on her... she's so annoying....

LOL

I'm fond of super nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
It isn't meant to be taken literally. The point is that very thin women are over represented in the media, giving men--and some women--an unrealistic view of what is "normal." The average American women is somewhere between a size 12 and a size 14, not a size 2 or a size 4.
Yeah I think we should have a change in the media of the images we see of women. The images should generally represent what normal everyday women look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
I think the backlash is against artificially thin women; there are many celebrity photos where the female's image has been the product of photoshop. Stretch marks disappear. Love handles removed. Faces and arms are thinned. Those aren't real images of real women.

Then, there is also the fact that during the 90s, anorexic thin models were the standard of beauty. Their lifestyle promoted an unhealthy body image that the media embraced as the ideal for women. Models were thin because they are supposed to slip in and out of clothes; they are to make the clothes look good.
The photoshopping and theatrical makeup is detrimental to all women. No woman looks that perfect but men find this out as soon as they get with a woman. Most adjust to reality.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
With all due respect JJ, I think your friends are a detriment to you and your self-esteem. I think you should get new ones.

I'm fond of super nice people.

I agree, 9 times out of 10 JJ references her guy 'friends' and I've thought this same thing too, maybe she needs some new friends...

Ina Garten is a complete and utter Hamptons snob... I don't normally "goof" on people, but while she seems nice and all, she's not... LOL

'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Refuses to Meet 6-Year-Old Cancer Patient | PopEater.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty