Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Why do curvy and overweight women get a monopoly on the "real" women label. What makes a curvy woman a "real" woman, but a thin woman not a real woman? I don't understand it.
This is overweight women's way of gaining social acceptance for being overweight. They convince themselves that a "real woman" has meat on her bones. But what all men like are different. Curvy and obese are not the same thing. Curvy is a pacification for the word fat.

It's also jealousy of thin women. Overweight women can be downright hostile toward thin women. I used to get harassed at work by fat women for being thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For some reason, it seems really hard for people to state a preference without throwing the opposite of their preference under the bus.
It's like people expect it, it's the norm. You have to say something negative these days about something else to achieve validation. Or if you really like something you have to also like what other people do in order for them to be "friends" with you. People can't even take compliments any more without complaining. I'm not even picking on women because you guys get hammered all day long over body images but you rarely have a person get handed a compliment without them saying something bad about it in modesty or trashing something else when they talk about something they like. I used to do it without even thinking of it.

Try it sometime. If someone asks you your opinion on something you like just tell them openly and briefly (dont gush) what is you like about it and stop talking. Most of the time that will be that, it will just be an honest person wanting to know what you think. But some times it will be a person who relly just wants to tell you about something they like better and they want to throw dirt on whatever it is you like. Don't say, "oh but this dress isn't that pretty, or my hips aren't THAT shapely, or this car isn't THAT nice or my favorite show isn't THAT good." It just feeds into the negative energy. And then when they ask you about brand x, just say "I like mine better." Not in a cocky haughty way, just be real in a cordial conversational way. It will **** them off.

In short, being a happy person that is confident in their choices or looks freaks some people out to the point where they won't like you or at worst will start a fight with you over it.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-02-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This is overweight women's way of gaining social acceptance for being overweight. They convince themselves that a "real woman" has meat on her bones. But what all men like are different. Curvy and obese are not the same thing. Curvy is a pacification for the word fat.

It's also jealousy of thin women. Overweight women can be downright hostile toward thin women. I used to get harassed at work by fat women for being thin.

What's funny to me is once about three years ago, I had my car in the shop for two weeks. I had to take the bus to work. There was this girl on the bus, who had an attractive face, but was a little too heavy for my taste. Wouldn't have mattered anyhow, since I already had/ have a gf. She starts flirting with me alot. I'm kind back, just because I can't see being mean to anyone for no reason. I could tell she liked me. Then one day, her sister was with her. Her sister was her twin. Cute face, but thinner (much more my prefference). I was like, wow, I didn't know that you had a sister. She could see that I noticed the difference. We were talking about teeth and how we couldn't understand how "some" people could just let theirs go. We all had very nice teeth. Then I mentioned my surprise that she had a "twin" sister. She said, "yup, she's my twin, we look the same, but I am a little bit healthier!"

I couldn't help but laugh in my head. If fatter eguals healthier, then I am glad that my gf is unhealthy! Don't know who she was kidding.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 04-02-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Healthy is just an old school euphemism for heavy.

Don't worry, the earth is still round and the sky blue.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
No surprise this thread turned into a colossal cluster****.

I will say it gave me my laughs for the day.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
She doesn't look like a "novelty" to me - she looks like...50ies or 60ies? I dunno...

( That's what I would call "curvy" or "full-figured" by the way. )

Even if Hendricks lost 20 pounds, she would still be AUTHENTICALLY curvy and voluptuous...
And that's a good thing!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
What's funny to me is once about three years ago, I had my car in the shop for two weeks. I had to take the bus to work. There was this girl on the bus, who had an attractive face, but was a little too heavy for my taste. Wouldn't have mattered anyhow, since I already had/ have a gf. She starts flirting with me alot. I'm kind back, just because I can't see being mean to anyone for no reason. I could tell she liked me. Then one day, her sister was with her. Her sister was her twin. Cute face, but thinner (much more my prefference). I was like, wow, I didn't know that you had a sister. She could see that I noticed the difference. We were talking about teeth and how we couldn't understand how "some" people could just let theirs go. We all had very nice teeth. Then I mentioned my surprise that she had a "twin" sister. She said, "yup, she's my twin, we look the same, but I am a little bit healthier!"

I couldn't help but laugh in my head. If fatter eguals healthier, then I am glad that my gf is unhealthy! Don't know who she was kidding.
Maybe she was making a joke. Women can do that, ya know.

Or, maybe she really was healthier. I was very, very thin growing up and had a friend who was quite a bit heavier than I was...she was healthy, I was not. But, by just looking at us I'm sure people assumed I was the 'healthy' one even though I was in the hospital constantly for my medical issues. Kind of like when people tell cancer patients that they 'look great!' after losing weight due to chemo. Yes, I've seen that happen on multiple occasions... according to many people, thin=healthy.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM

353 posts, read 580,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Why do curvy and overweight women get a monopoly on the "real" women label. What makes a curvy woman a "real" woman, but a thin woman not a real woman? I don't understand it.
I don't think I understand it either... I guess the "lactating" look is in now...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM

353 posts, read 580,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Fashion industry is ran by gay men.
Gay men rock when it comes to fashion, styling, make up and being a rommie

Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM

95 posts, read 198,536 times
It's not always jealousy, people tend to prefer bodies that look like their own. It is good for the ego

I am guilty of putting down thin girls. One time I was having lunch with this thinner girl who was saying she needed to lose weight (she was like 20 pounds lighter than me), all this girl talked about was her beauty and she wansn't all that. Thin but her face was average. She claimed she was asked out EVERY time she went to buy her lunch according to her. i don't know what her purpose was? prove she looked better than me? That day I had it with her stupidity and I told her these kind words:

"I wouldn't want to be as thin as you are".

She stopped talking to me like for 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty