Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,160,939 times

Advertisements

If they're of the human species, then they are "real".

I agree 100% with srjth first post. It's usually the fat girls that say this and or the guys who love fat girls who say this.
I myself have always thought petit, thin, slender, and perky butts are sexy as hel l.

Give me a body like Anna Kournikova while still playing tennis and I am content. Wait, I have that with my gf. Not quite, but pretty close. My girl has to me a very sexy body. Never been big on huge jugs either. I would rather have a handfull. Every girl I've ever dated was petit/ thin/ slender whatever. I've never dated big girls. Just no appeal to me. Of course I am not a huge person either. I am 6'1 and weight 165. My bottom half is little compared to most guys. I have strong upper legs with a lot of muscle. I was a wrestler and runner for years. But my calves look more like Johnny Depps. They just never get bigger no matter what you do. Hardest part of the body to increase. My upper body is pretty cut up. But not meat head big. Not David Becham skinny either. But that's from years of working out/ wrestling/ taking care of my body. If I go to those measures, why would I want someone who is a bit sloth? I think that we look for similar attributes in our mates.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 04-01-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 01:28 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,738,234 times
No the overweight and obese women who hate on fit and slim women are the fakes because they do everything in their power to hide from the hard work they KNOW they need to do for their figures to look their best. Sorry, I don't subscribe to, "Love me, love my blubber and lack of muscle tone" People are human, not saints. They see something they like, they look and like and appreciate (and even lust) for it.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
I think the term "real women" was meant to be inclusive, but turned into something slightly exclusive.

But on the same token, descriptors for women's bodies are always largely inaccurate.

For example, the term "athletic figure" is used for a women with a high waist hip ratio, not for an athletic woman that has larger arms or quads due to working out -- who would likely love to get some clothing advice on brands that are cut a little bigger in those areas.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Trouble is, bodies like the ones on Christina Hendricks or Kim Kardashian are just as unrealistic as any model's body, if not more so. I don't think attainability has anything to do with the "real women" backlash. I think it's women who feel unappreciated, so they decide their best method of empowering themselves is spitting on the women in the spot light.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you regarding Christina Hedricks and Kim Kardashian. I have a body very very similar to Christina Hendricks and I would really like to know where all the men who seem to 'adore' her are because I sure as hell haven't met many. I do think part of it has to do with women of certain body types being constantly told they're unattractive. You have a 'model' like body being tall and very thin, therefore you see women who look like you in magazines, on bilboards and in advertisements all the time. Curvy women are seen as a novelty and for me, seeing a woman that looks kind of like me is exciting and new and does make me happy. I do think some women take it too far with the 'real women have curves' stuff, but 'curvy' women will never be popular or as accepted as women with your body type so why worry about it? Let them have their confidence.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,643,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree with you regarding Christina Hedricks and Kim Kardashian. I have a body very very similar to Christina Hendricks and I would really like to know where all the men who seem to 'adore' her are because I sure as hell haven't met many. I do think part of it has to do with women of certain body types being constantly told they're unattractive. You have a 'model' like body being tall and very thin, therefore you see women who look like you in magazines, on bilboards and in advertisements all the time. Curvy women are seen as a novelty and for me, seeing a woman that looks kind of like me is exciting and new and does make me happy. I do think some women take it too far with the 'real women have curves' stuff, but 'curvy' women will never be popular or as accepted as women with your body type so why worry about it? Let them have their confidence.
She doesn't look like a "novelty" to me - she looks like...50ies or 60ies? I dunno...

( That's what I would call "curvy" or "full-figured" by the way. )

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 05:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,792,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't want to diminish anyone's confidence in themselves, but I can't condone confidence at the expense of others. We all deal with enough crap, I hate seeing women treating other women badly.

Maybe I do have a bias because of how I look, I don't know. I'd be happy to see more media appreciation for different body types, but I don't support forcing magazines or television or fashion to use any models or actresses other than the ones they want to, even if they only decide to use 5'2 blonde women with gap teeth and a peg leg. At some point we all have to find self acceptance outside of how we're viewed by others.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,184,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Kate Moss is gross because she has no curves
This annoys me. REALLY annoys me.
I am thin and always have been. Not by design; it's just how I am.

I get really, really, REALLY farking irritated by people telling me I am gross, hateful, boney, not sexy, androgynous, boyish, a control freak, etc and etc.

You know what? I don't give a flying fark how fat you are. Or how thin you are. I do not care one iota about your weight, really. But fat people are freaking awful about being hateful towards thin people and paying attention to weight.

Stop it. Seriously, just stop it. It is really ****ing annoying. If you are fat and OK with is, awesome. Be fat. Own your fat. Take responsibility for your fat. The same way I own my shape and weight.

But please do not do the tiresome passive aggressive thing of denigrating thin people as the enemy. That is just idiotic.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
She doesn't look like a "novelty" to me - she looks like...50ies or 60ies? I dunno...

( That's what I would call "curvy" or "full-figured" by the way. )
I mean a novelty in print or film. You simply don't see women that look like her very often in the media and when you do, it's usually after they've lost a ton of weight and suddenly become relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't want to diminish anyone's confidence in themselves, but I can't condone confidence at the expense of others. We all deal with enough crap, I hate seeing women treating other women badly.

Maybe I do have a bias because of how I look, I don't know. I'd be happy to see more media appreciation for different body types, but I don't support forcing magazines or television or fashion to use any models or actresses other than the ones they want to, even if they only decide to use 5'2 blonde women with gap teeth and a peg leg. At some point we all have to find self acceptance outside of how we're viewed by others.
Agreed. I've been both curvy AND thin and I will say that being thin was MUCH easier. People absolutely took me more seriously and were just nicer to me overall. Now that I'm 'curvy' I'm absolutely treated differently, and in many cases much worse. While I understand the anger coming from bigger ladies, that doesn't mean it's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
This annoys me. REALLY annoys me.
I am thin and always have been. Not by design; it's just how I am.

I get really, really, REALLY farking irritated by people telling me I am gross, hateful, boney, not sexy, androgynous, boyish, a control freak, etc and etc.

You know what? I don't give a flying fark how fat you are. Or how thin you are. I do not care one iota about your weight, really. But fat people are freaking awful about being hateful towards thin people and paying attention to weight.

Stop it. Seriously, just stop it. It is really ****ing annoying. If you are fat and OK with is, awesome. Be fat. Own your fat. Take responsibility for your fat. The same way I own my shape and weight.

But please do not do the tiresome passive aggressive thing of denigrating thin people as the enemy. That is just idiotic.
As I mentioned above, I've been both very thin and fat. The amount of anger I received from people when I was thin doesn't even compare to the what was said when I was fat. No comparison at all. Honestly, I think it's because thinner people simply aren't used to it...I know I wasn't and it was a shock when people started treating me very poorly when I gained weight suddenly due to a medication I had to take. In 3 months I gained 60 lbs and the very same people who were very sweet to me did a complete 180 and either igored me or started treating me poorly. Now, I didn't realize at the time that they were just treating me BETTER because I was thinner and more attractive...now I was simply being treated as a normal person.

Have you ever been fat?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,908,920 times
Personally I think Christina Hendricks is chubby (not obese). My body type is closer to athletic than anything else but even that can be misleading. I tend to carry extra weight in the stomach (luckily this usually leaves in the spring or summer)but have thin hips and long legs and arms. I do have a large chest though and the best way to describe me is an upside down guitar. I will state though when I am thinner I am treated differently than when I am heavier.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
For some reason, it seems really hard for people to state a preference without throwing the opposite of their preference under the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty