Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM

8,699 posts, read 11,096,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
To me, it tells the outside world that you took a vow. I'm not a "jewelry" person either. I have lost earring, bracelets, you name it.
telling outside world is important? To me, its inside my heart. everything else is just titles & physical goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,376,835 times
It's to a person's credit that they were able to wear their wedding bands their entire life. However, if you did not wear it your entire life but are still buried next to the person you loved and married, what else can a tongue-wagging world say that is consequential?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,312,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
My grandfather has NEVER taken his ring off. That's right. And my g-ma has passed away. He wore that ring every day as a fire fighter for 25 years too. I guess he wasn't afraid of loosing it or getting a burn or whatever fighting fires for a living. But that was men then from his generation..

To some, it's not just jewelry. To me, it tells the outside world that you took a vow. I'm not a "jewelry" person either. I have lost earring, bracelets, you name it. I misplace things all the time, yet I somehow always remember to put my ring on when I leave the house. It's pretty much the only piece of jewelry I wear. My husband always wears his too and I would find it quite odd if it was too much for him to wear it. Guess we're old school. Also, no ring is going to fall off if it's fitted properly..
If one's heart is in the right place, a ring is irrelavent as far as i'm concerned. Whether or not I wear a ring has no bearing on our marriage. My actions speak louder than a piece of jewelry.

Last edited by Gil3; 04-18-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You mean like business trips, the store, the library, your kids' soccer fields, the neighbor's home, the office, the doctor's office waiting room, and clothing stores? Those places?

Let's face it people, especially men, are interested. We're interested because we're human. Doesn't mean we'll act (some of us can't afford it) but we're interested.

Any guy who doesn't admit this is either unhealthy, gay, or lying.

"Allergies aside, a good explanation for some people’s reluctance to advertise their marital or relationship status is that they are still (unofficially) on the mating market and want to keep their options open. Many married men and women who engage in extra-marital affairs, of course, are happy to wear a wedding ring, only to take it off before they go to a party without their spouse."

from

Why some married people don't wear a wedding ring - Psychology Today

The anti-cheating wedding ring that brands your finger - The Week
My electrician doesn't wear a ring.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,312,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wish I knew. Women should make sure their men wear their rings. I'm tired of married men pretending to be available, only to turn out to have a wife at home.
And you really think a wedding ring will stop a man OR woman on the prowl? History has proven otherwise.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,600,169 times
I'm actually a bit of a different situation. I've always got my wedding band on, but I keep it on my right middle finger.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

626 posts, read 904,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you women who have husbands that dont wear their rings are kidding yourselves. the ring is removed to appear available. they are hoping someone will be interested.

the only thing i ever wore was a watch. i have no interest in jewelry. but the ring stays on my finger and i dont notice its there.

oh please! A man is going to do whatever the heck he wants to do with or without the ring because there's always a willing participant.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM

836 posts, read 2,949,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What do you think the biggest reasons are?

Irritates their hand?
Want to look "available"?
Keeps it in safe place like a safe deposit box?

I wear mine. I can't think of a reason not to wear it. Why do so many married not wear their rings?
I can not use it, gain weight from 158 lbs. to 209 lbs.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
My dad never had one, it just wasn't a big deal for men to get rings apparently. Plus he was a meat cutter when he was younger so there may have been a good reason to not even bother with one.

My H wore one, two, three...yup he kept loosing them. Once at a baseball game when it was really cold out. I was with him and saw it on that morning but he couldn't find it at bedtime. Unless he slipped it off to woo someone else while grabbing a beer I assume it just fell off when his fingers shrunk in the cold. He would also take it off when he did certain sports and activities so I imagine the first one was just forgotten somewhere. I found the third one in an old travel bag out in the garage (he had bought a new one) years later. That one may have been an "I'm available" scenario since we split up a few years after he lost it and I didn't find it until he had moved out.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times
No thanks. Don't like jewelry at all. So I don't wear my wedding band, nor a watch. Wife doesn't care. Certainly the 'outside world', to quote a poster a few above me, doesn't care. It's a personal decision and isn't a big deal in the slightest. I see no reason to wear one. My wife wears hers, but I wouldn't care if she didn't. It's a friggen inanimate object. Not some magical marriage-saving, whoore-repeller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty