Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times

Advertisements

I like to wear linen shirts as they are really cool in the summer. You really need to iron them as they look bad and are not crisp. Other things, such as jeans and cargos and some cotton shirts, forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM

438 posts, read 660,717 times
I don't even own an iron.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
The last time I got out the ironing board, the cat freaked out, '' MAMA, MAMA, what is that big scary thing? ''.
He is five years old. He had never seen it before. I decided since he was so upset, I should never iron again.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I spent several years in boarding school and we had to iron our school uniforms every. single. morning.
That pretty well cured me of wanting to iron ever again. I avoid buying clothing that requires ironing.

I do have a couple of things that need ironing though. A linen dress and a couple of dressy blouses. I have an iron but no ironing board....the once or twice a year I need to iron something I put a bath towel on the floor and iron right on there.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Everything that requires pressing/ironing goes to the dry cleaners: linens, dress shirts, dresses, slacks, etc.. I'm at the dry cleaners weekly, so that little iron symbol doesn't deter me.

However, I spent my youth ironing my father's dress shirts and handkerchiefs. (because I enjoyed it. ) I used to iron my clothes all the time (including jeans) and thought nothing of it because my mom had a sewing room with an iron and ironing board set up and ready to go. I found ironing to be therapeutic. My ironing board is in the basement "just in case," but I haven't ironed in several years. I'll steam something (handheld) before I iron it. And now that my washers & dryers have steam functions (yes I have two of each, that's how much laundry I do), I'll sometimes use those.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Don't hate me, but I like to iron. If there's a good movie on TV, I'll set up the board, plug in the iron, and by the time the movie ends, I have ironed everything in the pile. Granted, I don't deliberately set out to buy garments that require pressing, but if I see something I like, I don't worry about having to properly care for it. I frequently take some of my granddaughters' clothes home and iron those - it was a really good week for movies!!

Of course, since I found the "wrinkle release" product, some of the stuff just gets a spritz, a shake and a pull and it's good to go.

Ironing? Therapeutic. But that's just me. Obviously, not everybody feels the same way.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Don't hate me, but I like to iron. If there's a good movie on TV, I'll set up the board, plug in the iron, and by the time the movie ends, I have ironed everything in the pile. Granted, I don't deliberately set out to buy garments that require pressing, but if I see something I like, I don't worry about having to properly care for it. I frequently take some of my granddaughters' clothes home and iron those - it was a really good week for movies!!

Of course, since I found the "wrinkle release" product, some of the stuff just gets a spritz, a shake and a pull and it's good to go.

Ironing? Therapeutic. But that's just me. Obviously, not everybody feels the same way.
I don't mind it either. I do my husband clothes for the week on Sunday nights while I catch up on my shows. I do all the pillowcases too.

Lately - I've been thinking about getting a nicer steamer again (old one died). I'd recommend that as an option to those who don't like wrinkles or ironing.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
I actually enjoy ironing, but it's much harder for me to do now with lower back and leg problems. I still iron but fewer pieces at a time. Like others, I tend to wear the things that don't require ironing more often. Same with things that require hand washing.

When I iron, I set the board up behind my couch, which is on an angle in my living room and facing the TV. I try to combine ironing with something interesting on TV.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
My iron and ironing board are just set up in the basement. Many days I'll run down to press things off before work. I don't love it and I'm sure Martha Stewart would be disappointed in my technique, but I won't go out looking like a rumpled mess.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
My ironing board is folded behind a piece of Masonite in the laundry room. It's been that way a LONG time and isn't likely to change. I learned to put a large folded cloth on the side of my bed and iron whatever needs it. If necessary, there's a miniature ironing board propped behind a chest. ANYTHING to keep from going to the laundry room!

Once an item is ironed, I don't want to wear it. In Oklahoma, such a situation is called a Wewoka Switch, although, a minor version.

I don't go out looking rumpled, but, most of my clothes no not need ironing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty