Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

251 posts, read 522,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, is it about having a tattoo, or a visible tattoo (then define visible)? There are two frames of thought going on here in your post and on this thread.

Good point. It is both. I personally see tattoos as an indicator of lower class, lack of judgement or forethought. but that's my personal view. In the business world, if tattoos can't be seen, in essence they are not visible, then they are not a consideration. I guess that would carry over to everyday life as well. Don't display your "art" and I won't judge it...

There will always be a segment of society that adheres to the "I'll do whatever I want" mindset. That's fine, we all want different things in life. The point is, seriously think about doing something that may limit potential opportunities at some point in life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Tatoos have become very common. I don't have one but my wife does. Plenty of friends have them. My question is really for those that have lots of tatoos, so many that covering them up is difficult. Are you at all concerned about them being visible at work or a work related function? Or do you work in a field where they are accepted?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
My friend's soon to be ex wife had a tattoo of her mother on her lower back. My friend said the tattoo's location made certain sexual positions rather unappealing due to the forced eye contact with his mother in law.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Mr. Bach's statement is quite true, although it won't be accepted by some. Regardless of the point that I agree with the human body being created perfectly, and altering it artificially is foolish.

Visible tattoos are definitely seen as lower class by many of us who are the boss, the man. For 26 years I was an airline pilot, and never saw visible tattoos on my colleagues. I know a few had them, but they had to keep them covered up. Visible tattoos were commonly seen on rampers, mechanics, cleaners, etc., but not on pilots. (Hint: lower/higher class career)

Since I took leave from flying large jets around, I've been in business. Both as an executive with a large corporation, and now as CEO of two companies I started. You won't see tattoos on any of our people except at the lower labor levels. Those of us at a certain level and above just probably aren't going to let you in the club if you're flaunting ink that we see.

You may be brilliant, a hard worker, and all that, but guess what; there are plenty of others who haven't inked up their bodies who are just as qualified.

Obviously that isn't true across the board in all business, but it is in the circles I operate in.

Life's all about the choices we make. We make our own opportunity and "luck", just as we make our own disadvantages at times. Choose wisely...
Hello, fellow aviation enthusiast!

I would just like to say that without us 'low class' tattooed A&P mechanics, your birds would be stuck on the ground. You depend on US more than we depend on YOU. And I'm working for a commercial carrier now (and not in maintenance), but have worked in private aviation for nearly a decade before that and my tattoos have NEVER been a problem. In fact, I was offered 2 jobs by private carriers at the NBAA convention 2 years back while showing my tattoos...and they weren't maintenance jobs.

Regardless, I'd rather be around a bunch of 'low class' maintenance techs than stuck up 'business professionals' any day of the week. My tattoos have never been an issue regardless of what 'circle' I'm in, so I suppose your experiences and mine have been very different.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
What compels a woman to get ink done on her lower back? I've dated a couple of ladies with tramp stamps ranging in size from the almost unnoticeable to the absolute can't miss.

Do guys like them?
No, to me they're essentially a flashing neon biohazard sign.

Quote:
Do guys get them done too?
God I hope not.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM

60 posts, read 79,787 times
How many of you that are complaining about tattoos have your ears pierced? Now, tell me the difference of some ink on the skin and punching holes into your skin. Oh, let me guess, more people have holes in their ears so it makes it ok?
I got a tattoo on my lower back well before they were called 'tramp stamps'. So, am I considered a tramp, or am I considered a non-tramp since I had it done before it was termed? And yes, I got it there because it is easily covered for work.
It is there for me, not for you. If you don't want to see it, don't look at it.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
Mr. Bach's statement is quite true, although it won't be accepted by some. Regardless of the point that I agree with the human body being created perfectly, and altering it artificially is foolish.

Visible tattoos are definitely seen as lower class by many of us who are the boss, the man. For 26 years I was an airline pilot, and never saw visible tattoos on my colleagues. I know a few had them, but they had to keep them covered up. Visible tattoos were commonly seen on rampers, mechanics, cleaners, etc., but not on pilots. (Hint: lower/higher class career)

Since I took leave from flying large jets around, I've been in business. Both as an executive with a large corporation, and now as CEO of two companies I started. You won't see tattoos on any of our people except at the lower labor levels. Those of us at a certain level and above just probably aren't going to let you in the club if you're flaunting ink that we see.

You may be brilliant, a hard worker, and all that, but guess what; there are plenty of others who haven't inked up their bodies who are just as qualified.

Obviously that isn't true across the board in all business, but it is in the circles I operate in.

Life's all about the choices we make. We make our own opportunity and "luck", just as we make our own disadvantages at times. Choose wisely...
This is changing. Look at the % of younger people that have tattoos. They are going to be the boss man soon enough.

I have always worked for fortune 100 company corporate offices. Spend enough time in the company gym and you will find upper management even today with ink.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is changing. Look at the % of younger people that have tattoos. They are going to be the boss man soon enough.

I have always worked for fortune 100 company corporate offices. Spend enough time in the company gym and you will find upper management even today with ink.
I have a similar background. As a person who is in senior management, I have never seen it among peers, as well as those at C-levels.

Senior Management and C-Levels choose who we mentor; Those who demonstrate good judgment, potential, drive, and best exhibit a positive image for the company.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I have a similar background. As a person who is in senior management, I have never seen it among peers, as well as those at C-levels.

Senior Management and C-Levels choose who we mentor; Those who demonstrate good judgment, potential, drive, and best exhibit a positive image for the company.
So if a person has a tattoo on their back, but demonstrates all of those qualities what does having a tattoo matter? You may be mentoring people who are heavily tattooed and not know it. Personally, I know of a few people in 'senior management' who have their entire backs covered, and one VP of a very well known aviation related company has both her thighs completely covered and most people have no idea

Or, maybe they know how judgemental you are and decide to keep it a secret. I've had conversations with executives at conferences and whatnot who seem to get quite excited and want to share 'tattoo stories' with me once they see mine.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post

The female body, WITHOUT a tattoo, is a wonder of beauty. Leave it alone. Putting graffiti on a woman's body is like spray-painting the Grand Canyon.

LRH
I have often said the same thing about both sexes..
Young, old ,male, female our bodies are beautiful without graffiti...

What stands out to me is how quickly my taste & fashion choices change
over the years. I would hate to be stuck wearing the clothes or jewelry
that I loved when I was a teen or in my 20's or even 5 years ago..
Why would I think a tatoo would still be my choice 50 years later..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty