Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times

Advertisements

Beards and mustaches started as this retro- throwback thing with indie hipsters (in places like Williamsburg naturally) but it's gone mainstream, especially among 20 and 30-somethings. This is just speculation, but I think that many are using facial hair to assert their "manliness" and masculinity, especially in face of bleak job prospects in this continuing Great Recession. It's like putting on a stoic face & attempting to appear mature and in control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Wow...your lives must really suck if you're getting this wound up over whether someone chooses to shave or not, lol. It's as laughable as those people worrying about the type of shoes someone wears, or the shirts.

Something to munch on - many of us couldn't give two hoots what you people think of us, or whatever the current fashion trends are, but we do find it awfully amusing that things like this are apparently the most important things in your life. It does make me feel better than whatever crap is going on in my life, it will never be as bad as being someone who actually frets over someone else's choices in styling, lol.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Wow...your lives must really suck if you're getting this wound up over whether someone chooses to shave or not, lol. It's as laughable as those people worrying about the type of shoes someone wears, or the shirts.

Something to munch on - many of us couldn't give two hoots what you people think of us, or whatever the current fashion trends are, but we do find it awfully amusing that things like this are apparently the most important things in your life. It does make me feel better than whatever crap is going on in my life, it will never be as bad as being someone who actually frets over someone else's choices in styling, lol.
I too wonder why some people are so offended (or whatever) by beards. I love them, but it's like the other thread/poll about them and some just can't stand them. I had no idea some people where so appalled by them.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
I'm not offended by beards...I just think men look more attractive (and neater and cleaner) without them, especially the "Duck Dynesty" variety. Those guys aren't bad looking without those beards. To me, it just makes a man look older, especially when they're gray and scraggly.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Let the records show I had my beard before Duck Dynasty and Hangover.

So now I have to add lazy and dirty to how I look. Between that and wearing sneakers I don't have much going for me.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I've had a beard sense I was 16 , I prefer it . I look like one of the boys from Duck Fantasy .
Men were made to have beards , feminized men don't .

Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM

570 posts, read 721,614 times
Beards are awesome, that's why.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Beards are like boobs. The bigger they are the more people stare.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I have no idea. I'm a guy and would never wear a beard, theyre repulsive. Lots of women find them masculine tho, its just a trend. Id love to know where it started, like I can't think of a hunky guy who wore a beard and everyone imitates him. Its not Duck Dynasty, a young man aspiring to be a stud doesnt want to look like any of those dumb hillbillies. I think it was a hipster thing that caught on like wildfire. I wonder if Daniel Bryan from WWE is at the forefront with his massive beard and hot fiance.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
Men have had beards ever since men have existed. It's nothing new. Now MY beard is only about a year old. I had a goatee off-and-on since high school, and then stayed clean-shaven for a year or two. Now I have a nice, even, well-trimmed beard. I considered doing the full beard thing for years, and finally just quit shaving, just to see how it came in. My wife loves it. (and I don't watch Duck Dynasty, or care who in Hollywood has a beard.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty