Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Life is so much easier when one just does not care what others think about how they look, what they are wearing, what is trendy, in style, out of style, etc.

Personally, I haven't cared about anyone else's opinion since I was about 7 and a lot of little girls grow up to be taller girls with the same giggley, blah blah, I'm prettier than her and have better shoes attitude and mentality that I have always stayed away from.

Go to the middle of a creek with muck up to your behind looking for and collecting landscaping rocks and see how "pretty and hoity toity" you can be then.
It doesn't happen and every man I have ever encountered either in public or in private has seen me without make up on and they care less about it than I ever have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I think that if a woman chooses not to all of the extras to be considered "pretty" she has that right. Yes, there is a focus on women being attractive, and there always will be. Nobody forces a woman to do anything she doesn't want to do in order to be seen as being attractive.
Not exactly. As much as we think you have a choice to opt out of pretty, you'll be judged that way anyway. You can't be a powerful woman and not be judged on your appearance, even when you are super accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Besides, even there, women simply won't let men look at them without make up. There are men out there who will take any kind of woman. Even the ugly ones in online dating get 100s of messages. So, I find it hard to believe it's anything other than self-inflicted.
Myth of the century.

I think we are very far away from this. Maybe after a few generations of not telling little girls they are pretty when they are toddlers and little boys they are strong will solve this.

Today, as it stands, people feel compelled to comment on women's looks. Whether relevant or not. I've had homeless people come up and say "hey pretty girl, can you spare a dollar!" :P

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
The title of this thread should be answered...

Most definitely, yes.

Is there a law against it?

I see pretty/ugly women of all walks of life everyday - I think they are free to do as they want.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Creative license here, a la Wizard of Oz

Glinda: "But Dorothy (to women in general) you've always had the freedom to be ugly"
"You can be the female equivalent of the male whiners on City Data! Don't put any effort toward understanding and self betterment and trying to be the best you can be - just wallow in your self pity and find excuses for your lack of success with the opposite sex and/or in life in general. Let yourself go and live in your own world of slovenly self acceptance, perhaps a pseudo world of the internet, or cloister yourself in the 'persecuted sisterhood party' of feminism"

OK, this is illustrating the absurd with higher absurdity, but I hope it prompts some thought. I get 'women not wanting to be ornamentation', but it is most often a self accepted role. You don't have to be ornamentation, you can figure out what other things (skills, character traits etc...) you bring to the table in today's world. Much like the male whiners who lament their woes over and over (victimization - entitlement mentality) rather than focusing on self improvement / betterment across the spectrum of human experience (via attitude). Yes, there always will be some social stratification based on anthropological history but you as an individual do not have to accept (and internalize) these constructs, nor the abusive malcontents of either sex (see comments in article regarding social standing / appearance etc..) who try to keep you down.

Both men and women need to separate from the predominant mass media programming of what a "man - woman" is glorified and conditioned to be (visually/ economically) in todays culture and look toward more inner strength, fortitude, understanding etc... Then reassess yourself in a new more grounded reality and move onward. This article seems more the female whiner lament (IMO)

This was a public service announcement.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Define "Ugly"

Every man's sense of beauty differs. In a previous thread, I posted an image of a blonde girl I thought looked really sexy. Turns out many did not think along the same lines.

Guys, Which girl looks sexier

However, cleanliness and basic hygiene are a must for every human being, regardless of man or woman. Expect people to be offended by your smell if you shower only once a week.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Define "Ugly"

Every man's sense of beauty differs. In a previous thread, I posted an image of a blonde girl I thought looked really sexy. Turns out many did not think along the same lines.

Guys, Which girl looks sexier

However, cleanliness and basic hygiene are a must for every human being, regardless of man or woman. Expect people to be offended by your smell if you shower only once a week.
I could link pictures of women that would be considered ugly, aka conventionally unattractive, by pretty much the majority of people; however that would get flamed for being mean and unethical.

And no, 'ugly' is not a term for a fashion model that's slightly less sexy/attractive than another model

Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Yes

Right away on that second when people stop demanding them to be pretty

Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
As long as men are men, women will not have the freedom to be ugly. While there are exceptions to every rule, at the end of the day, men like hot women. No way around that. You get more things out of life (and from men) when you are an attractive woman (it could even affect your job opportunities).

It's been that way since the beginning of time. If a woman is smart, she will make sure she's looking her best.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Appearance is more than surface texture and symmetry,
Personality is a giant part of a person appearance .
Plastic smiles, affirming in a conversation with out even knowing what it is the other person said, bringing all kinds of anger over others into the conversation, and so on.
I am not going to be interested in some one severely over weight, it screams of health problems or a severe lack of discipline which means children will too have the same heath issues .
I am not going to be interested in some one that uses drugs smoking or drinking, I don't want my children to have these problems either.
I don't particularly care for tattoos , it screams of low self esteem, which I do not want in my children either.
If a person does not care enough about their body to exercise and use regular hygiene these bad habits will be a part of raising my children NO WAY PERIOD.
I don't want my kids to have to listen to bitching and moaning and take up that character them selves.
I understand that people are born the way their are ,nothing can be done about that, but a personality is a choice.
My older brother was born with out a left hand , this messed up dating for him repeatedly, not so much the girls but the parents fearing the grand children would have the same defect .
Of course this in not true , and he found an intelligent woman finally and have the most beautiful family ever.
Some guys will date any thing that they can get , with or with out the idea of taking it any further than dating .
This does not build self esteem so much as one becoming a user. a player.
Over weight women desperate for any thing, set them selves up for disaster .
I really wish dating would change to something more like an application for a job and a background check. But people are too impatient, too immature all to often dishonest .
Any way that's my opinion.
I've been attracted to several ,not so pretty women on the surface ,but beautiful over all by their demeanor and their voice .
Looks play a part ,because it is the love that shows through, something to admire day after day after day.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM

513 posts, read 737,035 times
I dated a guy one time whom I was sitting with at an outpatient clinic and we overheard a girl who was getting breast implants. My "friend" commented that even after that surgery, she would still be ugly, because she didn't have a pretty face. Another time at my daughter's wedding, she had a close girlfriend keeping her book at the reception. This young lady was sweet, always smiling, slim and petite, and always dressed in a flattering way, just beautiful inside and out, but she was rather flat-chested. Only this guy would say "Yeah, she would be cute if she had any boobs." This is from a man who was at least 25 years older than her. I could have slapped him, remembering what he said at the clinic a couple of months before. Can't win with some people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty