Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am 63 and wear levis tennis shoes of any brand that fits, and a black T shirt with pocket.
I NEVER wear button down any thing ever .
My leather jacket zips up, and leather chaps zip down to my leather boots that zip up.
Yes I ride motorcycle (not with a group) no labels .
For fun I have Scrat suspended on my rear bag looking like he is leaping after me.
Live should be fun.
I wear different hats for the jobs I'm doing, and the appropriate safety equipment for the job at hand.
But me dressing up is T shirt and levis and tennis shoes. Even to church .

^A cool guy. I think the OP' was giving us a "geek" hand guide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 02:30 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My professor for my writing class always wears either grey or black slacks and a grey or black button up. For shoes he is always wearing plain black high top chucks.

He is 52. It is fitting for him. It may not be fitting for everyone. I wear jeans and t shirts and now that fall and winter are coming, I will add a hoodie. It is what I like. It is what I am comfortable in. Yes, my friends are wearing dresses and blouses but they like that, I don't. I don't need to try and be like them to impress them or anyone else.

Sometimes when I am working I wear either scrubs or dress pants and a dress shirts. I hate the jobs where I have to wear dress clothes. I mean I hate hate hate it. As soon as I get home they come right off. I am fine with the scrubs. I like that. Those clothes just aren't me, no matter what my age is.

Do I need to grow up? I don't know. Does wearing uncomfortable dress clothes make me a grown up? Do jeans and a t shirt make me a child? I am me no matter what I wear and people are out there to judge me. Don't care.

My chiropractor and his fiance loved my Spock shirt, btw, today.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
It's because everyone's going back to school these days and they want to look/act the part. I saw it 10 years ago in college (28-30 year olds with "band" shirts living in dorms and using "like" way too often), and I see it now. Okay ignore the OP, it's judgmental and all, but I understand your woe. I'd understand it even more if you were a woman because it just goes to show how the pool of decent, available men has declined in quality. This look represents an entire demographic now and it's really pretty sad.

That's pretty sad that to you, letting others be themselves is "sad".

I guess only "decent" men come in Khaki and loafers!

There was a guy who as a young college student wore khakis and turtlenecks all the time. He also wore business suits and whatnot. Do you know that guys name? Theodore Bundy! That's Ted for short.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
That's pretty sad that to you, letting others be themselves is "sad".

I guess only "decent" men come in Khaki and loafers!
I guess. My bf wears jeans or shorts and usually a Nautica t shirt. He likes the way they fit. I am fine with that. He throws on a pair of New Balance tennis shoes.

I either wear my Harley boots or my tennis shoes.

I really don't see the big deal. Some people are actually attracted to those type of men and they actually are what they are looking for. It doesn't mean that they don't have a job or aren't capable of a meaningful conversation.

This is wear people being so judgmental causes a problem. None of us knows who any person is, no matter what clothing they are wearing, or even if they have visible tattoos. Not until we sit down and have a conversation with them.

I have met a lot of wonderful people that way. Cast your judgment aside and see the person.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Well JeffyD... Personally *I* think all men - no matter what age - look better in cowboy boots, tight jeans and a cowboy hat. Shirt optional depending on the abs.

And that ( you will learn as you grow older) is what makes life interesting. If we all were to dress, act, think and be the same, then why are we here? Shades of 1984 ... ( the book. Not the year. Seriously, kids. Go read it...)

Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
My guy wears slacks and nice button ups with leather shoes to work every day...when it's play time he wears nerdy graphic tshirts and jeans with chucks or Keds. He has grey chucks and I have pink ones Between the two of us we have quite the impressive collection of nerdy tshirts as well... wore my Starfleet Academy Alumni shirt today to work.

We're in our late 20s and I don't think I ever plan on 'growing up'. Sounds so stuffy.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Can anyone imagine the Mick Jagger or Keith Richards (Watts is a different kettle of fish) in white Rockport orthopedics, Sansabelt slacks or Dockers, Van Heusen button down shirts and a blue blazer? Just thinking about makes me cringe.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Skinny jeans are effeminate and make one look like a homosexual. Baggy jeans are low class and ugly. Whatever happened to grown men who wear adult clothes?
I forgot to ask you jefferson. What do you think of short jeans on a guy?

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM

134 posts, read 224,731 times
"I can't see myself looking "old" already. Especially since I don't really look or feel like it." - SupermanPansy

I think that's the key, really. Probably a big part of what looks good (within reason) and what doesn't on many men is how they carry themselves.

I still think there are a few things that look bad on any guy, as mentioned earlier...

... but if my boyfriend, who pretty much always dresses cool (we're both just past 30) suddenly started wearing button-downs and khakis and tasseled loafers, he'd look... weird.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
By the by, Converse has been making sneakers since 1917 and Chucks have been around since 1927 when Charles "Chuck" Taylor signed on with Converse in 1923. They were G.I. issue starting in WWII and at least the 1970's when I was issued a pair in boot camp. As far as I am concerned they are as classic a look as the wingtips or "Gucci" loafer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty