Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:35 PM

364 posts, read 715,975 times

Advertisements

I saw the thread about Coach bags and it made me think of the lines of Polo clothing I've been seeing in stores lately. A lot of people have polarizing opinions on Polo. On one hand you have people that view it as a sleek, elegant, and dapper brand, while others perceive it as ostentatious, gaudy, and for a lack of a better term -- "ghetto". What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Most of what they design is traditional, tasteful and timeless, but every now and then they come out with something gaudy, ostentatious, and away from their true roots.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Granted I'm no fashion maven, but I've never seen anything with a Polo or RL label that wasn't so basic and classic in design that I couldn't find almost the exact same thing for much less.

I certainly in no way thinks he 'borrows' other designs. But, I mean really is his stuff unique in any way at all? I've never thought anything was special about any of his stuff.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 AM

324 posts, read 655,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Granted I'm no fashion maven, but I've never seen anything with a Polo or RL label that wasn't so basic and classic in design that I couldn't find almost the exact same thing for much less.

I certainly in no way thinks he 'borrows' other designs. But, I mean really is his stuff unique in any way at all? I've never thought anything was special about any of his stuff.

You probably only seen the RL clothes at your local dept store. RL has red and black label also. You need to go to the polo store.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
I seen Tommy Hilfiger as a more affordable version or RL, their clothes and quality seems at the same level.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
I have only positive opinions on it. I frequently purchase it at the outlet seeing as how we have two outlet malls..why bother being ripped off and paying full price for polo when I don't have to? I get the exact same thing at the outlet for cheaper then I ever could at Macy's. I love the polos and the tees they have as well as an occasional accessory and of course the flip flops. They have some very time less looks and then judging from some of the new fall items I've seen...some very god awful ugly looks. As long as you stick to the more classic pieces you can't go wrong. Polos and khakis never go out of style.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Most of what they design is traditional, tasteful and timeless, but every now and then they come out with something gaudy, ostentatious, and away from their true roots.
Big Pony Collection - Polo Ralph Lauren - RalphLauren.com

I wouldn't say it's away from their true roots. RL always epitomizes ostentatious flirting on gaudy. The trick is to avoid the ostentatious and gaudy while picking up something ostentatious enough to be worthwhile at overpriced designer clothes pricing since the timeless trad stuff you can get anywhere for half the price or less.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I like a lot of their subdued, traditional clothing. I have a couple of basic Ralph Lauren Polo jackets and they're by far the most well designed, proportioned, and constructed articles of clothing I own. And the finest button-front shirt I ever owned was a Polo, but unfortunately it no longer fit me after I lost weight, and now I can't find one like it (but in a smaller size).

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 AM

[quote]As long as you stick to the more classic pieces you can't go wrong. Polos and khakis never go out of style.[quote]
It's true that I don't know if I could pick out regular RL stuff, from Polo, or red or black label. And I, or course, presume off of his stuff is well made. And maybe I'm expecting to much. But that's just it, polos and khakis are so classic and basic, that I don't see why I'd pay RL prices -- when there are a ton of polo shirts, khakis, slacks, shirts, sweaters -- that are very well made and don't cost RK money. To me, in terms of design there's nothing THAT special about most of RL's stuff.

But I guess that could be said for other designers as well. Look at Michael Kors. You can't get more basic that most of his stuff. I'm mean -- a camel coat is a camel coat is a camel coat. A pea coat is a pea coat is a pea coat. Unless I fall in love with the ONE twist he's put on the lapel or the buttons he chooses for a given season. Is an MK pea coat worth MK money over another less expensive pea coat (of half way decent quality of course, not something that's not even in the sam ball park) Is one designers "big white shirt" THAT much different from anothers?....for the money spread?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
As long as you stick to the more classic pieces you can't go wrong. Polos and khakis never go out of style.
It's true that I don't know if I could pick out regular RL stuff, from Polo, or red or black label. And I, or course, presume off of his stuff is well made. And maybe I'm expecting to much. But that's just it, polos and khakis are so classic and basic, that I don't see why I'd pay RL prices -- when there are a ton of polo shirts, khakis, slacks, shirts, sweaters -- that are very well made and don't cost RK money. To me, in terms of design there's nothing THAT special about most of RL's stuff.

But I guess that could be said for other designers as well. Look at Michael Kors. You can't get more basic that most of his stuff. I'm mean -- a camel coat is a camel coat is a camel coat. A pea coat is a pea coat is a pea coat. Unless I fall in love with the ONE twist he's put on the lapel or the buttons he chooses for a given season. Is an MK pea coat worth MK money over another less expensive pea coat (of half way decent quality of course, not something that's not even in the sam ball park) Is one designers "big white shirt" THAT much different from anothers?....for the money spread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty