Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Taking off your hat has absolutely nothing to do with being polite or not.

You have yet offered one reason why.
Well.....some would see a hat worn inside as vulgar.

I know the rules of norm have loosened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Well.....some would see a hat worn inside as vulgar.
They would just have a really difficult time explaining exactly why

Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
They would just have a really difficult time explaining exactly why
They would have a had time explaining to a socially clueless person....sure.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM

18,472 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I don't think it is a big deal. i see no reason why a man has to take his hat off inside at all.
Just because they did it decades ago doesn't mean they have to today.

Wearing a hat indoors harms no one, nor does anything bad to society.
It is just a custom that was done years ago.

how is it disrespectful to wear a hat indoors??? it isnt.

as far as it being vulgar? your kidding????

ettiquitte (sp) was a thing man created, and can be changed.

having raised 3 boys, they certainelly wore their share of baseball hats, indoors outdoors restaurants etc....as a father, if that's the worse thing they could do, then i am a happy papa..

I never told them to remove them when indoors, because i do not believe there is anything wrong with it. it is a fashion thing, the hat is part of the outfit.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
They would have a had time explaining to a socially clueless person....sure.
Explain away

I'm sure you could explain the origin of why it would be disresepctful or vulgar right and why we should all take offense to such actions today.

Here is your opportunity to shine

Go for it

Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM

The Etiquette of Wearing a Hat « advancedetiquette

Here is a interesting link.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
Boxus:

Please go back and re read my post...........I did mention that in my country, bar and café owners, may have "house rules " posted at the door of the place, setting out what can and cannot be worn in their establishment. No hats is one of them.

Got that now ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Not really interesting .... just someone telling me what I should and should not do with really no basis or reasoning

Including particulars on how I should take off my hat, what hand I should hold it in, how I should hold it (which they messed up to a degree based on old convention)

They even included this barb of wit

Quote:
A foreign visitor kept seeing Americans wearing their baseball caps indoors, and at times backwards. He determined this style indicated a direct correlation to the wearer’s apparent I.Q (intelligence quotient). Wearing a baseball cap indoors meant an I.Q. was reduced by 50%. Wearing the cap backwards meant an I.Q. was reduced by another 50%... so what’s left? These findings make total sense to me.
Ah yes, the ever popular "foreign visitor" who laughs at our intelligence and conventions and how horrible they are and how dumb we are

I'm just upset to know that I haven't hit my full potential for intelligence quotient ..... I wore a hat backwards well before taking my first IQ test (which really is kind of meaningless when you think about it) - I could have scored much higher apparently, but the damage had been done due to the folly of youth

Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
There are lots of theories how the custom came to be. Some include the removing of head wear that indicated rank/status to others of a higher status, one I've seen is that the hat was to protect the head from the sun and dust while working and when you enter a house/establishment to keep them on was indicating to your host that you thought their place was dirty. It also indicated you were not planning on staying and/or you didn't want to be there (rudeness).

Whatever the reasons for the custom in our society at this point is pretty irrelevant. It being custom and proper etiquette is enough.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Boxus:

Please go back and re read my post...........I did mention that in my country, bar and café owners, may have "house rules " posted at the door of the place, setting out what can and cannot be worn in their establishment. No hats is one of them.

Got that now ?

Jim B

Toronto.
I understood your post. And I stated it is not uncommon for businesses to establish dress codes, whether it is for image, or to combat against gang issues.

I do not wear hats and generally dress very well, so I have never encountered an issue with this in my numerous trips to Canada, mostly Vancouver and Victoria, so i probably never paid attention to any special rules or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty